Streveler as our starter in 2019

Brandon

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Calgary better win next Sunday because without Mitchell their door to a championship next season slams shut. 

Where does everyone think Bo Levi is going?  I've heard some talk that there's been some NFL interest.  I don't see him leaving the Stamps for anything other than the NFL.  But I'm skeptical he'll get anything more than just an invite to camp.  Is that enough to walk away from a good thing in the CFL and take a chance he gets injured while at camp?   

16 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Where does everyone think Bo Levi is going?  I've heard some talk that there's been some NFL interest.  I don't see him leaving the Stamps for anything other than the NFL.  But I'm skeptical he'll get anything more than just an invite to camp.  Is that enough to walk away from a good thing in the CFL and take a chance he gets injured while at camp?   

He could get injured anywhere. It is pretty rare for quarterbacks to get hurt in camp these days.

If he tries the NFL there will be big offers waiting for him from every CFL team if he gets cut.

If he has a shot in the NFL he would be foolish not to take it now because it's probably his last chance at it.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

So is everyone willing to give the coaching staff a free pass next season if we go 5 - 13 with Streveler as the starter? 

I agree with this.  The most popular player is always the back up.  And then who backs him up?  

I think most people just dont want the coach to be stubborn and refuse to give Strev a shot because Nichols looks like a decent QB who can play very well sometimes but cant win when it counts.  So time to see what the kid can do.  If he cant do it, you still have Nichols and you know you need a new plan.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

The whole the whole offence didn’t play well not all on Nichols.

Without absolving the rest of the offence, I suggest that the offence begins and ends with the performance of the quarterback. If it becomes obvious to the rest of the offence if not the whole team that their quarterback is just not playing well, then that has to demoralize them. The Riders were very fortunate to do as well as they did with their pathetic quarterbacking which let them down when it counted, and that is true for the 2018 Bombers as well.

22 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The whole the whole offence didn’t play well not all on Nichols.

I saw one particular play in I believe the 3rd quarter, where Nichols missed a wide open Harris on the run, which could have easily turned into a 20 yard play.   Harris' body language walking back to the huddle after that play to me just spoke volumes.... just looked dejected.   There comes a point when the guys just don't believe anymore.  I think you had a receiving corps that had given up on the guy behind centre.  I 100% believe that you would have seen more jump in their step had Streveler gone in and taken over.   Would it have made the difference, hey, we'll never know.   But they had to at least give it a try.

8 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I saw one particular play in I believe the 3rd quarter, where Nichols missed a wide open Harris on the run, which could have easily turned into a 20 yard play.   Harris' body language walking back to the huddle after that play to me just spoke volumes.... just looked dejected.   There comes a point when the guys just don't believe anymore.  I think you had a receiving corps that had given up on the guy behind centre.  I 100% believe that you would have seen more jump in their step had Streveler gone in and taken over.   Would it have made the difference, hey, we'll never know.   But they had to at least give it a try.

I totally know the missed pass you are speaking of, and I agree 100% Harris looked dejected....and he was looking in Nichols direction while doing it...... I have seen the team pick up it’s pace in other games where Streveler comes in and they know he is getting a few plays...... but yeh, we’ ll never know 

Edited by NorthernSkunk

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Potential for large bonuses?  There's the risk right there. 

The CFL is a passing league and until Streveler proves he's a passing QB that can also run.  I'll stick with the guaranteed base salary vs. the potential for large bonuses.     

Can Nichols pass?

I don’t know.  It’s insane to me to start every season knowing that our quarterback is a limiting factor on the potential of our team, knowing that in the big game he can’t get it done if he has to, that we need 200 yards rushing and a crazy game by our defense to win anything.  That’s where this team is.  We’re basically hoping the team can carry the mediocre QB and that he doesn’t try to do too much and lose the game for us.

I don’t want to pay 450k for that level of quarterbacking.  Nichols had one 300 yard passing game in a passing league this season.  I’ll give him credit for stepping up in the Calgary game in Winnipeg but other than that he was playing not to lose and we were hoping Harris would do enough and our D could get our offense started in position to score.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don’t want to pay 450k for that level of quarterbacking.  Nichols had one 300 yard passing game in a passing league this season.  I’ll give him credit for stepping up in the Calgary game in Winnipeg but other than that he was playing not to lose and we were hoping Harris would do enough and our D could get our offense started in position to score.

Well that's the gist of it...Every club knows Nichols is the weak link...average at best and is almost wholly dependent on Harris's running ability...Which leads us to every club keying on Harris ...eliminate or control him and you know damn well Nichols will eventually cave...It would have helped had we had another receiver along the lines of Matthews BUT there were receivers open in that bust of a game, that Nichols couldn't get the ball to in any event...To say there were no receivers open is just plain bull$hit ...He looked like he panicked after getting flushed out of the pocket and threw the ball away prematurely...On one occasion our go to guy was covered on the sideline BUT our secondary guy was wide open and Nichols promptly threw it into the third row...He's getting very good money to play better ball than that and I'm afraid he'll never be the clutch guy we need to put us over the top...Time to address that situation or prepare to keep going down a road of futility

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Without absolving the rest of the offence, I suggest that the offence begins and ends with the performance of the quarterback. If it becomes obvious to the rest of the offence if not the whole team that their quarterback is just not playing well, then that has to demoralize them. The Riders were very fortunate to do as well as they did with their pathetic quarterbacking which let them down when it counted, and that is true for the 2018 Bombers as well.

I work with a couple Bomber fans and we have at it on a regular basis.  All in good fun of course.  They always bug me that we have no qb. My response is always that we know we don't have a qb, and you guys think you have one, which is worse?   Seriously I'm not sure its time to skid Nichols, but one thing is for sure, its time to see the Kid get some starts and play more

I'm off the Nichols band wagon. The play that did it for me was in 4th quarter, Nichols got flushed to his left, took a couple steps and decided to run for about 4 yards, there was a receiver opening up down the same sideline (might have been the new guy) Nichols tucked it and ran instead of dropping the ball into the receiver between the two defenders. Just about any other qb in the league would have made that throw but Nichols is too gun shy now. We will never win a GC with that type of qbing.

Time for another Winnipeg/Hamilton qb trade, Nichols for Masoli. 

11 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I'm off the Nichols band wagon. The play that did it for me was in 4th quarter, Nichols got flushed to his left, took a couple steps and decided to run for about 4 yards, there was a receiver opening up down the same sideline (might have been the new guy) Nichols tucked it and ran instead of dropping the ball into the receiver between the two defenders. Just about any other qb in the league would have made that throw but Nichols is too gun shy now. We will never win a GC with that type of qbing.

Time for another Winnipeg/Hamilton qb trade, Nichols for Masoli. 

No way we get Masoli for Nichols at this point..