Streveler as our starter in 2019

Brandon

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Seriously?  His phone would be ringing off the hook.  People are so delusional.

After the season he had do you honestly believe a team out there would give him a base salary as big as the Bombers did this year!? He was average to below-average for most games despite having the league's best running back and O-line.  He would get offers, sure.  But for nowhere near the same base he made in 2018.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

QB quality the way it is around the league it's not like Nichols is going to up and disappear any time soon. Glenn found work this season.

He did.  And Nichols would as well.  But not for anywhere close to $450,000 that Nichols reportedly is making.  Bombers should renegotiate his contract but I wonder if O'Shea and Walters will have the temperament to make the right call.

Isn't Rielly a free agent? 

If u can get him then u do it and then let Nichols go.  Otherwise u wait till someone steals the job from him. Or did we really not learn anything after Glenn?

I get the disappointment in a loss but give your heads a few hard shakes. I rather be in the west final with a chance to win in the fourth vs losing a bunch of games and missing the playoff untill we find a QB that wins. Cuase as far as I see it, sask, Montreal, Toronto all show what its like to play without a good QB.  I don't want to be like them 

45 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

If u can get him then u do it and then let Nichols go.  Otherwise u wait till someone steals the job from him. Or did we really not learn anything after Glenn?

I get the disappointment in a loss but give your heads a few hard shakes. I rather be in the west final with a chance to win in the fourth vs losing a bunch of games and missing the playoff untill we find a QB that wins. Cuase as far as I see it, sask, Montreal, Toronto all show what its like to play without a good QB.  I don't want to be like them 

Calgary better win next Sunday because without Mitchell their door to a championship next season slams shut. 

53 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

The Glenn situation was different as Lefors was a complete unknown and even if there is a chance Streveler fails, he at least knows the offence and has shown promise in limited reps. Bring in a backup with some experience if it’s such a big concern. 

I would argue there are bigger risks with keeping Nichols than with moving on. Sure, this team has proven it can win 10-11 games with Nichols but at this point, that’s clearly the best case scenario. There is a reason Kevin Glenn has never won a cup. You have to take the chance that you find the next Mitchell or Reilly. Teasing us with limited upside regular season success ultimately gets this team nowhere. 

Getting rid of Nicholls without knowing what you have in Streveler. Is like quitting your job before you have another one.  You may have grand illusions that you'll find your perfect job right away but if you can't you usually end up taking jobs that don't necessarily like until the perfect one comes around.

The best thing I can say about Nichols playoffs is that he didn’t turn the ball over.  We don’t win in Regina without Streveler and we had no offense in Calgary.  Nichols did very little to affect the outcome positively in either game.

All season our offense was hugely reliant on the defense turning the ball over and creating great field position for them to score touchdowns.  They had a terrible time putting together drives.

I’d offer Nichols an incentive-laden contract mostly based on number of starts.  If he refuses, cut him.  Nichols will not get any better, he’s lost a lot of mobility and doesn’t have the poise  or arm to make up for it.

6 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Getting rid of Nicholls without knowing what you have in Streveler. Is like quitting your job before you have another one.  You may have grand illusions that you'll find your perfect job right away but if you can't you usually end up taking jobs that don't necessarily like until the perfect one comes around.

It’s more like quitting a job that can’t pay your bills and taking a job that doesn’t pay your bills immediately but has potential for large bonuses.

I said after the game. Streveler will finish 2019 as the bombers Starter.  I dont think he will be named starter out of TC, but probably 5 or 6 games into the season. Nichols has done admirable with his time here. And I thank him for helping turn this franchise around. The Bombers need to take the next step, and I dont think Nichols can get them there.

To clarify, I don't think Nichols goes anywhere. He will be replaced, but still on the roster and maybe play. But I see Streveler taking a big step forward next year and getting more starts.

Edited by Bigblue204

After settling down I think management rolls with Nichols for one more year, mostly because there's a shortage of quality quarterbacks in the league. If Bo walks, the west suddenly becomes wide open.

You need two quarterbacks in the CFL. If Nichols has another pedestrian year, though, Strev gets the extension and Nichols walks

Edited by Dr Zaius

Streveler is the future and IF his development can be hurried along at a rapid and a respectful pace...…..see ya Nichols that playoff game against Cal. proved to me you're being way over paid and you're not good enough....Watching Bo Levi perform makes Nichols look like a backup of the third string variety...Time to re-negotiate or move on from Matt

Nichols has been just average. I'd place him at 5th best among starters, behind Reilly, Mitchell, Harris and Masoli. I think you could make an argument for Nichols being better overall than Masoli as well.

There are four teams without a "for sure" starting QB right now... BC, Sask, Montreal and Toronto. If Reilly hits the open market the bidding war will hit 600k. Lots of money for one guy.

Anyways it's going to be Nichols next year one way or another. Does anyone really expect any different?

they are both under contract next year and if Streveler is handed the keys to the offence...or wins it outright in TC we are still paying the same amount for our QB's regardless what order they are on the depth chart...so cutting Nichols would be crazy dumb and still has great value off the bench or as the back-up if Strev faulters...or gets hurt as he plays a physical game....it's 2020 when you have to make the hard SMS decision...not next year

It would be in the teams best interest next year to say the position of the #1 QB is up for grabs...whoever performs best in TC...You go with until they faulter...

Last year I had all these same negative opinions of Matt Nichols.  I tried discussing my opinions with what I thought were other football fans of the Bombers.  All it did it was get me bullied and booted from a website.  This year I will just sit back and read other fans comments.  I don't want to miss out on doing the pick-ems again next year, that makes all the games more fun to watch.  

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It’s more like quitting a job that can’t pay your bills and taking a job that doesn’t pay your bills immediately but has potential for large bonuses.

Potential for large bonuses?  There's the risk right there. 

The CFL is a passing league and until Streveler proves he's a passing QB that can also run.  I'll stick with the guaranteed base salary vs. the potential for large bonuses.