Streveler as our starter in 2019

Brandon

I thought why not start a knee jerk reaction thread after a disappointing loss..

I would like to move on from Nichols, mainly because unless everything is running at an optimal level he can't get the job done.

I'd much rather have a guy who can actually run and throw on the run in case the oline has some pressure on them.

We blame the receivers but from my eyes this season it seemed like the receivers did not get passed to them mid stride on a consistent basis. It seems like unless Nichols has numerous steamboats that his passes require the receiver to dive or go high/low to make the catch.

I would not mind handing the keys over to Chris and save a crap load of money signing someone else as a backup.

I'll a take a year of growing pains over a guy who can't rollout and make a pass 15 yards down the field...

I like the idea of saving some major cap space... I love the idea of rolling with the young gun QB and letting him work it out on the field... he's got a great skill set and fiery attitude that suits our offenses smash mouth identity. Still, it's pretty early to be anointing our next starter before we see who shows up to camp.

Imo if we were going to go that direction we would need 1 more legit cfl qb. Streveler is the future but needs insulating and someone to help groom. Id be in for giving reilly a huge short-term deal. 

Id also be in favor of bringing in trestman. 

6 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

You know there's a team that has tried this for the past 5 years. And how has that worked out for the Als?

the difference is the als have not had the replacement guy at any point in that time. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Imo if we were going to go that direction we would need 1 more legit cfl qb. Streveler is the future but needs insulating and someone to help groom. Id be in for giving reilly a huge short-term deal. 

Id also be in favor of bringing in trestman. 

the difference is the als have not had the replacement guy at any point in that time. 

They thought they did.  Just like many of you believe as well.  Streveler has shown me nothing to prove he's ready to be a starter.  All I see today is a one dimensional QB.  And if he cant make the play with his feet.  The probability of success is greatly diminished.   

He needs more time to learn how to read defences and make plays with his arm. 

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

They thought they did.  Just like many of you believe as well.  Streveler has shown me nothing to prove he's ready to be a starter.  All I see today is a one dimensional QB.  And if he cant make the play with his feet.  The probability of success is greatly diminished.   

He needs more time to learn how to read defences and make plays with his arm. 

Them and no one else. The rest of the league, leagues fans and pundits have long held that the als are the biggest ? at qb in the league. 

Thats a strange defense to choose. Since streveler put up more passing tds per start then nichols, more tds in total, and then considering the game we just saw out of nichols passing. One dimensional weapon vs no dimensional weapon? Averaged more yards per pass (be it marginally) and a much higher passer efficiency.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

I fear he may not be ready yet. He could probably use some more time to learn the defenses. Maybe next year  he takes another step forward, but I would be really hesitant to hand the keys over right away.

All depends on where he is at with his progress in next years camp. I certainly wouldn't hand over the keys to him. If you are looking to move in his direction I think you bring in a vet like glenn to push him and make him fight to win a spot. Its a terrible idea to hand a green qb the starting reigns with out a camp battle. 

12 minutes ago, nawrockp said:

Let me get this straight...you want to make a 23 year old our starting quarterback, after watching him play a game where he overthrew a play that likely cost us the game? 

Who cost us the game, a young QB that missed one throw or the QB that couldn't generate any offense to speak of whatsoever?

15 minutes ago, nawrockp said:

Let me get this straight...you want to make a 23 year old our starting quarterback, after watching him play a game where he overthrew a play that likely cost us the game? 

Let me get this straight.. You're blaming the loss on a 23 year old QB who came in cold and threw a single pass, not on the expensive vet QB who hadn't even thrown for 100 yards before the last 4 minutes of the game? SMH!

26 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I like the idea of saving some major cap space... I love the idea of rolling with the young gun QB and letting him work it out on the field... he's got a great skill set and fiery attitude that suits our offenses smash mouth identity. Still, it's pretty early to be anointing our next starter before we see who shows up to camp.

It's been 28 years since we last won. As a fan, I don't want to "take our lumps" on the premise Streveler may develop with no guarantee that he will. Sorry, I want to win. I want the best player at the qb position playing. Streveler isn't ready to take over & no way I'm willing to suffer thru a 4-14 season again just to see if a hypothesis is worth proving. Neither are the Bombers. . 

22 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

You know there's a team that has tried this for the past 5 years. And how has that worked out for the Als?

I don't feel that's quite the right comparison.  The Als management has been too much of a disaster which is why their QB problems have suffered continually over the years.  We have a stable enough front office where I feel a QB change wouldn't totally disrupt the team.

Now, having said that, I would not move on from Nichols just yet.  I know everyone says he's not a big enough play maker and can't get it done in a Ricky Ray manner.  But elite QBs like that are tough to find, and I believe in Streveler, but don't think it's time to say start him from here on out yet.

Now, if Nichols is in a bad funk or has any worse injury problems over the course of this next season, then I'm all for starting the Streveler era.  But only if that's indeed the case.

I think a better idea might be to hope Lapolice leaves for a HC job in Toronto and promote Buck Pierce into his job.  The offense needs a play calling shakeup.

So we make Streveler the starter in 2019. Then what happens when he bolts for the NFL (as Walby and Westwood predict) in 2020? Hmmm.

Honestly we will need to move on from Nichols at some point...whether that is now (not likely) or for 2020 or 2021 or 2022 I don't know. 

It is likely the Bombers will keep Nichols and incorporate Streveler into the offense even more in 2019.

IF...and that is a big IF, BLM goes to the NFL next year, the West is wide open. Here's hoping Calgary loses the Grey Cup (3 peat) and then BLM leaves.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Them and no one else. The rest of the league, leagues fans and pundits have long held that the als are the biggest ? at qb in the league. 

Thats a strange defense to choose. Since streveler put up more passing tds per start then nichols, more tds in total, and then considering the game we just saw out of nichols passing. One dimensional weapon vs no dimensional weapon? Averaged more yards per pass (be it marginally) and a much higher passer efficiency.

Spot playing with a select group of plays in short yardage is different than being the starter. Can Streveler read defenses? Can he implement a game plan? Can he handle the pressure of being a starter? Even BLM took 3 seasons before he was named the starter in Calgary. I see a kid with great potential but someone not ready to take over as the starter yet. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's been 28 years since we last won. As a fan, I don't want to "take our lumps" on the premise Streveler may develop with no guarantee that he will. Sorry, I want to win. I want the best player at the qb position playing. Streveler isn't ready to take over & no way I'm willing to suffer thru a 4-14 season again just to see if a hypothesis is worth proving. Neither are the Bombers. . 

Yep, winning is the goal and it's tough to do that with training wheels on. Let's see who we can bring to camp before declaring anyone our starter for next season. Streveler will still have his role to play, starter or not.

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Spot playing with a select group of plays in short yardage is different than being the starter. Can Streveler read defenses? Can he implement a game plan? Can he handle the pressure of being a starter? Even BLM took 3 seasons before he was named the starter in Calgary. I see a kid with great potential but someone not ready to take over as the starter yet. 

Can he? Who knows? No way to tell because he wasn't given a chance to find out.

Nichols makes $450K next year. Is he worth that much? Nope. Would an extra $450K help us out in other areas? You bet. We could bring in a decent backup QB and a play making receiver or returner. Would it be better to live through the growing pains that are likely coming or stay with Nichols and hope the rest of the team can win games so he only has to mange them and not throw picks?

36 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Who cost us the game, a young QB that missed one throw or the QB that couldn't generate any offense to speak of whatsoever?

NIchols was bad. Very bad.

Streveller missed a wide open Harris for a go ahead TD in late 3rd quarter in a defensive struggle. It is what it is. He's a big, white, heavy Nealon Greene.

1 minute ago, White Out said:

NIchols was bad. Very bad.

Streveller missed a wide open Harris for a go ahead TD in late 3rd quarter in a defensive struggle. It is what it is. He's a big, white, heavy Nealon Greene.

I just think it's a bit of a stretch to say this one specific play 'likely cost us the game' when Nichols had all game to do something and he couldn't. It may not be all on Nichols, but it's definitely not all on Streveler

"You get one play to win the game kid or it's all your fault!"