Attention Lapolice! Please Stop Calling Predictable Plays

USABomberfan

I find it odd that it's always Lapo has got to go... but when the team is clicking on offense it's always Nichols is back to playing the way he used to.  

The only game I went to this season was the stinker against Ottawa and it was night and day clear that the issues was Nichols not seeing wide open targets and missing on his throws.  Meanwhile Streveler comes in ice cold and with the same play selection and the same protection and receivers he was hitting on all cylinders and had the Ottawa defense on their heels.  

I can agree with some of the weird play calls in the red zone being on Lapo... but when Nichols struggles to make a basic high % low risk throw then you can't dump that all on Lapo.  

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I find it odd that it's always Lapo has got to go... but when the team is clicking on offense it's always Nichols is back to playing the way he used to.  

The only game I went to this season was the stinker against Ottawa and it was night and day clear that the issues was Nichols not seeing wide open targets and missing on his throws.  Meanwhile Streveler comes in ice cold and with the same play selection and the same protection and receivers he was hitting on all cylinders and had the Ottawa defense on their heels.  

I can agree with some of the weird play calls in the red zone being on Lapo... but when Nichols struggles to make a basic high % low risk throw then you can't dump that all on Lapo.  

BLM wasn't playing any better than Nichols on Sunday but his offense scored some touchdowns. It's not always on the qb.

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

BLM wasn't playing any better than Nichols on Sunday but his offense scored some touchdowns. It's not always on the qb.

If The bombers had gotten two TD's Nichols would be receiving the credit......BoLevi throws two TD's but it's the whole offensive unit that gets the credit......... ? 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ummm after 3 quarters Nichols had how many yards throwing?  When the RB is getting big yards how isn't the passing game on the qb?  As I said before... several times this year Nichols looked really off with great protection and wide open receivers... how isn't those issues solely on the qb?

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Ummm after 3 quarters Nichols had how many yards throwing?  When the RB is getting big yards how isn't the passing game on the qb?  As I said before... several times this year Nichols looked really off with great protection and wide open receivers... how isn't those issues solely on the qb?

Because he wasn't getting a lot of help from the receivers or offensive coordinator. Even a guy like Dressler was dropping passes. Not to mention the refusal for this team to stretch the field which allowed Calgary to sit everyone in the areas Nichols wanted to throw. The game plan was **** from the Bombers and made it easy on the Stamps defense. Not all on the qb. BLM had trouble with the pressure at times and he missed a bunch of throws, difference is that his OC gave him options and they kept trying to make some big plays in the passing game. 

I don't necessarily hate Lapolice, and certainly I would be concerned about getting stuck with another Crowton or Bellefeuille here if he was gone.  I think he is a mostly good OC, but he seems to have trouble forming good plans for big games.  This happened in the 2011 Grey Cup when his offense kept sputtering, and it seemed to rear its ugly head around again in Calgary.  Stamps have a good defense, but Lapolice seemed to do very little to try and catch em off guard.  Nichols may never be a great QB, but I feel like Lapo could have done more to give him big play throws out there.

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I don't necessarily hate Lapolice, and certainly I would be concerned about getting stuck with another Crowton or Bellefeuille here if he was gone.  I think he is a mostly good OC, but he seems to have trouble forming good plans for big games.  This happened in the 2011 Grey Cup when his offense kept sputtering, and it seemed to rear its ugly head around again in Calgary.  Stamps have a good defense, but Lapolice seemed to do very little to try and catch em off guard.  Nichols may never be a great QB, but I feel like Lapo could have done more to give him big play throws out there.

If we assume that the OC has to build the game plan around the abilities and limitations of the talent on the field, then perhaps this was the best that could be expected. Without access to all the game video, we cannot know where the problem(s) lie. Candor from our head coach would be helpful and appreciated by us longsuffering fans.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

If we assume that the OC has to build the game plan around the abilities and limitations of the talent on the field, then perhaps this was the best that could be expected. Without access to all the game video, we cannot know where the problem(s) lie. Candor from our head coach would be helpful and appreciated by us longsuffering fans.

Too many balls thrown low or into the turf......too many balls thrown out of bounds.... too many balls thrown missing the reciever in stride.....too many balls thrown late causing the reciever to be just standing there waiting for the ball to get to them..... too many passes dumped off to Harris who always had a defender watching him.... not enough QB mobility..... 

46 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Khari Jones had the same OC - he threw deep a ton - some even argued they went deep too often.

For the millionth time, it's not about deep throws, Lapo still asks Nichols and Streveler to do that a bunch too, it's about the fact that it's either deep or short. We totally ignore the medium throws (which I personally think are the strongest throws Nichols makes) 

Lapo is a smart man, but he's an absolute **** play caller. 

On 2018-11-27 at 7:33 PM, 17to85 said:

For the millionth time, it's not about deep throws, Lapo still asks Nichols and Streveler to do that a bunch too, it's about the fact that it's either deep or short. We totally ignore the medium throws (which I personally think are the strongest throws Nichols makes) 

Lapo is a smart man, but he's an absolute **** play caller. 

The deep ball was mentioned ^^ and keeps getting mentioned ad nauseum.

On 2018-11-27 at 5:22 PM, Tracker said:

I'm more than certain this team had Grey Cup level talent on it.  Lapolice is a good OC, but I certainly don't think he's a great OC.  He still has no cups in his case.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Already in the appropriate thread elsewhere..... 

Is the appropriate thread offseason news because it's an Argos position, or bomber offseason news because it impacts our OC?  Discuss..... 

Side note: I considered adding a popcorn emoji, then I clicked the emoji button on here that I've never clicked because I don't really use them, and holy **** are there way too may. I'm old and i miss the 1999 MSN messenger Emoticon (as they were called then) selection.

Second Side note:    I say I'm old, but man a lot of the people I have blocked on this site for being crotchety old men are at least 25 years older than me,  so I guess I'm a young guy in an old white guys league as speedflex/iso would say

On 2018-11-30 at 11:49 PM, Colin Unger said:

We may not need to worry about his play calling much longer.

QYKmcR.jpg

Good news too if he gets a HC because while I certainly was disappointed by his play calling down the stretch, I really don't want to fire him.  Promotion to HC I like.

Having said that, if we need a new OC, please no more Bellefeuilles here, I don't want to go through those dark days again.

Wonder if Buck Pierce is ready to take on the job

23 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Good news too if he gets a HC because while I certainly was disappointed by his play calling down the stretch, I really don't want to fire him.  Promotion to HC I like.

Having said that, if we need a new OC, please no more Bellefeuilles here, I don't want to go through those dark days again.

Wonder if Buck Pierce is ready to take on the job

I’m pretty sure that the job would go to Buck. I’d be tempted to take a serious look at Ryan Dinwiddie. I was impressed with how he handled being rushed into the OC job in Montreal and he’s since coached under Dave Dickenson and could maybe duplicate what they’ve been doing so well in Calgary. 

Could we maybe find someone who isn't a choice simply because we know his name?    Is Buck Pierce really ready.  None of us has clue one about that but hey, we know his name.  Likewise Khari.  He's been less than stellar as an OC so why reward him by giving him the keys here?  Ryan Dinwiddie is someone who may show some promise, but I'm not overly convinced.  And no, I don't have a name to offer right now, but I won't pick someone out just because I know his name and the guy used to wear blue and gold.

14 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Could we maybe find someone who isn't a choice simply because we know his name?    Is Buck Pierce really ready.  None of us has clue one about that but hey, we know his name.  Likewise Khari.  He's been less than stellar as an OC so why reward him by giving him the keys here?  Ryan Dinwiddie is someone who may show some promise, but I'm not overly convinced.  And no, I don't have a name to offer right now, but I won't pick someone out just because I know his name and the guy used to wear blue and gold.

So no to Mike McCarthy then?😉