Game Day Thread- Week Twenty Three, WESTERN FINAL: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Calgary Stampeders November 18th, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Spend the money on Bighill, and lets expect better from our QB.   Weve had more than enough ge to judge Nichols by, and beyond his first half a season as starter, hes been mediocre.  This season, subpar is being nice. 

Play calling wasnt great today, but I bet LaPo would have loved to have Streveler in there.  That's on O'Shea.   Would love to be a fly on the wall at half time.  If LaPo didnt ask for the change, hes no better.

43 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Yeah we lost this year but at least our streak doesn’t continue. Your team had a legit chance to win this year and your idiot coach and mediocre QB crapped the bed. 

What? At the end of the 2017 season SSK's Grey Cup drought was 4 years. At the end of the 2018 season it's now 5 years, how is that not continuing? Even for 'Rider math, that's just faulty logic. Also your team went 56 years without a Grey Cup.

2 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Spend the money on Bighill, and lets expect better from our QB.   Weve had more than enough ge to judge Nichols by, and beyond his first half a season as starter, hes been mediocre.  This season, subpar is being nice. 

Play calling wasnt great today, but I bet LaPo would have loved to have Streveler in there.  That's on O'Shea.   Would love to be a fly on the wall at half time.  If LaPo didnt ask for the change, hes no better.

Lapo is the one who determines how much Streveler plays, and how many reps he gets in practice.

1 minute ago, trueBlue83 said:

I think you have to let Streveler compete for the starting job next year. He’s gone the year after if he’s just a back up again. If he succeeds as a starter maybe he sticks around the CFL for starter money. I really think we have to move on from Nichols 

There is no way I want O'Shea going anywhere. They haven't won a Grey Cup, but they have been consistent winners and you would think eventually they'll break through for one.

The Bombers (recent historical) problem has usually been that any coach with some success gets dumped pretty quickly when he fails (Berry, LaPo) and then we realize that the replacements aren't nearly as good as we thought (Kelly, Burke).

O'Shea has led the Bombers to three straight winning seasons, which makes him the most consistent head coach since Dave Ritchie. 

Richie Hall should stay too, assuming he still wants to work. The fans who hate on Hall haven't updated their views from last year. This defense was really, really good for most of the year. They played such a good game today and deserved a better fate. In comparison to last year, they pulled the offense along for wins this season.

I could go either way on LaPolice but I'd prefer to move on. The CFL is so slanted towards offensive success that if you're not putting up a decent amount of points and passing yardage each week it should really concern you. Nichols falls into that same boat. If we had even a decent quarterback today, we win the game. The fact he was throwing balls into the dirt even when Calgary was playing prevent defense should eliminate any lingering doubts about him.

I was saddened by the loss today but not entirely surprised. The problems that Nichols ans his receivers has today were the same ones that were evident during the losing skid. I don't know whether to blame the players, the coaches or both, but the Bombers were beaten by a better team today. They scraped past a mediocre Rider team last weekend and the red flags were there in that game. Regardless of all this, I do not see Walters or O'Shea voluntarily making changes. Not putting Streveler in shortly after it was obvious following halftime that the offence was toothless was a major judgemental failure for O'Shea and/or LaPolice and they must answer for that. And then there was inserting Lankford- for what purpose? Walters has questions to answer as well- other teams can sign Chris Matthews, Posey, Rogers, etc etc and we sign a bunch of steers. Its gonna be a long winter and may be a long time before we have this opportunity again.

1 hour ago, Justin Case said:

I always laugh how people try and justify their recent loss by going back in time to their great grandpappys days. 

Sorry but in today day and age. It’s what have you done for me lately. Sadly there are thousands of Bomber fans that have never seen their team win a Grey Cup. The team you speak of has won Cups in 2007 and 2013. So their younger fans have been drawn in. While it’s getting tougher for the young ones to get pumped about the Bombers. 

But if it's truly what you have done for me lately, what have the Riders done the last 5 years?

Let’s get real. Bombers had no business being in the western final. Prior to playoffs, Riders lost their starting QB to a no-call dirty hit.  Bombers got fined for no-call rough play, and a headshot on back-up QB in quarter final versus Riders. During the Semi-final versus Stamps numerous missed calls by the refs gave Bombers an uneven playing field. Otherwise, it would have been a rout. Riders, in spite of being only three years into a rebuild, continue to outperform the Bombers. Two teams going in two opposite directions....just the fact. Kindest regards. 

Sadly we got beat by a better team today.

The media gives Lapo WAY too much credit for a little bit of success, and never talks about how BAD his offense is when it is off. In my mind it's an offense that relies on the D to make mistakes. Calgary is way too disciplined to fall for that, which is why they shut us down today. Claybrooks just stole his lunch money. There is no way he is close to a head coaching job again in this league any time soon, no matter how much the media loves to toss his name out there. 

Also, I don't think inserting Streveler today would have won us the game. Sadly I think Nichols gave us the best chance to win, but man is he boring to watch.

Is Nichols making $400,000 or $450,000.  Regardless, His base pay needs to be lower with more emphasis on incentives for games started, passing yardage and TD receptions.  

Nichols will not be negotiating from a position of strength.  No other team will pay him as much and many will stick with the QBs they have...even Montreal would stick with Pipken and Manziel, as they have upside given their age while Nichols has already peaked.

Of note, I can't believe Nichols thought be played a good game!:rolleyes: