Game Day Thread- Week Twenty Three, WESTERN FINAL: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Calgary Stampeders November 18th, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I think that is why the game was so frustrating. When the team on the other side is better than you, you can't win by playing it safe. You need to open it up and take risks, which we didn't or couldn't do. We played them like we played the Riders, and that was a recipe for failure.

It's wasn't long into the season, if not right from the beginning, that the road to the cup went through Calgary this year in the west.  We knew last year Nichols wasn't the QB who would eventually get it done.

2 hours ago, White Out said:

Wow this one still stings. I really thought this would be the year. I feel gutted. 

Agreed. I allowed myself to believe that Nichols had exorcised his demons after his horrible outings in the Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl, but yesterday he reverted back to his timid, low-risk, low-reward self. To be fair to him, we don't have the benefit of being able to break down the game film and see if he was not going through his reads properly, or not following direction or if he was doing all that but the receivers were letting him down or LaPolice was the problem. Still, it sure as spit looked like it was all on him with some responsibility falling on the receivers. His abysmal self-awareness that he thought he'd played a good game does not inspire confidence. The defence played well enough to win, and the special teams were mediocre but the offence was flaccid for the most part. I still cannot see why O'Shea left Nichols in for so long when it was obvious that Nichols was failing. I don't know if Streveler would have produced a different outcome but Nichols wasn't going to do it.

13 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Tough one guys.  Was hoping you could pull it off. 

To be fair I think Calgary should have been favoured but the loss still stings. Also, Nichols didn't do what was needed to win and I think he is not the QB to take the Bombers to the next level.  More to your point, he is closer to a game manager than an elite QB.  We need better at QB, IMO.

1 minute ago, wpgallday1960 said:

To be fair I think Calgary should have been favoured but the loss still stings. Also, Nichols didn't do what was needed to win and I think he is not the QB to take the Bombers to the next level.  More to your point, he is closer to a game manager than an elite QB.  We need better at QB, IMO.

I have always seen Nichols that way, but that's a discussion for the offseason.  I was hoping the stamps would lose.  I always cheer for the Bombers when the Riders are out. Calgary has a good team, going in there and winning is not a easy thing to do.  Mitchell is a dam good qb, he got it done when it mattered. Harris was good but he isn't enough. The run game covered up a lot of warts on your offense this year. 

This loss is just like smacking yourself on the thumb with a hammer. Hurts like hell at the moment but the next day it's just tender. I kept thinking they had too many men on the field every time we had the ball. We had more balls thrown away than completed almost. 

27 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Thanks Ripper- really appreciate that.

It sucks when you lose.  Took me a few days to accept football was over. As a fan, a guy always hopes you can make it to the cup. Teams have made it and won, upsets are part of the playoffs. Our offense struggled all year, wasn't a shock that we didn't make it, but doesn't stop a guy from hoping the team can find a way. Harris had a good season, he is a warrior for sure.  He just wasn't enough on his own. Bombers have some pieces in place, back to the drawing board to plan for next year, ditto for us. 

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

It sucks when you lose.  Took me a few days to accept football was over. As a fan, a guy always hopes you can make it to the cup. Teams have made it and won, upsets are part of the playoffs. Our offense struggled all year, wasn't a shock that we didn't make it, but doesn't stop a guy from hoping the team can find a way. Harris had a good season, he is a warrior for sure.  He just wasn't enough on his own. Bombers have some pieces in place, back to the drawing board to plan for next year, ditto for us. 

Yeah- if guys can keep that defense intact for the most part, that would go a long way a championship team. 

7 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yeah- if guys can keep that defense intact for the most part, that would go a long way a championship team. 

Lots of key free agents for us, guess we will see how it goes.  One thing I know for sure, I will have my season tickets and I will be there losing my mind at the ebbs and flows of the season. Wouldn't trade it for anything, its sports man.

Edited by Ripper

46 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Lots of key free agents for us, guess we will see how it goes.  One thing I know for sure, I will have my season tickets and I will be there losing my mind at the ebbs and flows of the season. Wouldn't trade it for anything, its sports man.

I thinjk everyone is in the same boat- those 1yr contracts are starting to be an issue. 

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Thanks for reminding me I still get to live rent free in that empty head. Stupid troll.

More like I got you in a shoebox tucked under the bed and I can pull you out whenever I need a laugh.  I told you last year we would never win a cup with Matt......yes he helped get the team turned in the right direction.  And he has 'managed' to keep it relatively going in the right direction.  He just doesn't have that winner mo-jo that some athletes carry with them.

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

More like I got you in a shoebox tucked under the bed and I can pull you out whenever I need a laugh.  I told you last year we would never win a cup with Matt......yes he helped get the team turned in the right direction.  And he has 'managed' to keep it relatively going in the right direction.  He just doesn't have that winner mo-jo that some athletes carry with them.

He might but proof is lacking.

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

That's the best you've got...? Sick burn.

Great reminder, BTW. Do you want a congrats for being "right" or something? Same old childish troll behaviour from you. It'll be a good day when you run away from this forum like you did TEP. What a tool.

23 hours ago, White Out said:

Our goal next year has to be to finish 1st, and get the home game for the West final.

Good luck with that.

Calgary isn't going to get weaker.

The Riders will be better

Tough hill to climb to get first in the west, you guys will be in a dogfight just to finish 3rd again.

17 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Good luck with that.

Tough hill to climb to get first in the west, you guys will be in a dogfight just to finish 3rd again.

Calgary may lose BLM and singleton to nfl. Your homer writer Pederson swears it. 

The Riders we're the biggest smoke and mirror show in CFL history and will struggle to make playoffs next year. 

12 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Riders won’t necessarily be better. Jefferson very easily could be gone, Roosevelt too. I wouldn’t be shocked if the QB situation is still a mess next year too. Reilly or Mitchell aren’t coming through that door. 

Jefferson might get an NFL look, but at his age he will be back.  Roosevelt is going nowhere, the guy we probably lose is Sam Eguavoen. Our D will be just as strong if not stronger with another year under their belts.

Yes the QB position is still a huge question mark, but IMO we give Reilly the best chance to win now as compared to Edmonton or BC. Bo is probably NFL bound. But yeah O is a concern for sure, but I'm confident we will be better.

32 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Good luck with that.

LMFAO what does Chris Jones put in your water?!?!? Better how exactly?? You just stated in your other post that Eguavoen(your best player) is likely gone, possibly Jefferson too(your second best player), yet somehow your defense is going to be better next year?!?!? Your freaking defense virtually outscored your offense at a rate that is unheard of and completely unsustainable, and not to mention was directly related to those two guys who may be gone next season, yet the Riders D is going to be better??  Holy **** man. Do you drop your pants when you talk out of your a** or is it muffled? And lord almighty don't get me started on your depth at QB which makes the Buffalo Bills look deep. Please keep your insane ramblings to the confines of riderfans where the rest of the Jim Jones, errr Chris Jones disciples gather to spew verbal diarrhea.

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

LMFAO what does Chris Jones put in your water?!?!? Better how exactly?? You just stated in your other post that Eguavoen(your best player) is likely gone, possibly Jefferson too(your second best player), yet somehow your defense is going to be better next year?!?!? Your freaking defense virtually outscored your offense at a rate that is unheard of and completely unsustainable, and not to mention was directly related to those two guys who may be gone next season, yet the Riders D is going to be better??  Holy **** man. Do you drop your pants when you talk out of your a** or is it muffled? And lord almighty don't get me started on your depth at QB which makes the Buffalo Bills look deep. Please keep your insane ramblings to the confines of riderfans where the rest of the Jim Jones, errr Chris Jones disciples gather to spew verbal diarrhea.

but.... Sam Hurl.