What is your favorite - - EVER - -Bomber VICTORY over the Riders?

BigBlue

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

Here ya go!

that was my fave as well. The Flame was there. He used to light up his stupid helmet everytime they scored.  By the mid point of the first quarter he knew it was over. Never lit it once. Hee hee. Thing is, back then we felt sorry for Rider fans. Today we hate them.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

2003 in Winnipeg, Westwood kicks a 50+ yard fg to win a game in the rain, just because it has not been mentioned.

IIRC that was 57 yards. On some epic, last-minute drive too. great pick.

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

It’s amazing watching how Sellers runs its very similar to Harris. Harris 60lbs lighter can move a pile or run over a guy close to what Sellers did.

since sellers, josh ranek, messam, and Harris. About the best power backs, we've seen in 20 years in the league. And for my money, the most well-rounded backs were sellers and Harris. Also important to remember though that back then teams didnt use the SAM and 5+wr sets as much. Still alot of 2 back sets and bigger LBers in that day. 

I always loved watching sellers block. Either using blink as a battering ram at times or making premiere edge rushers disappear for entire games. 

20 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

1982 Labour Day game.  We won 36-35.   Even in the 1980's when the Riders were crap, they still always seemed to have our number on Labour Day.  I believe this was the game where Bob Cameron went to punt the ball into a stiff breeze and the ball went up and then flew back over his head, landing five yards behind him. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that again.

not quite the same thing... but a few years ago in a playoff game between Mtl and Hamilton... there was a FG that went up and looked like it had more than enough distance... only to get caught in the wind, stop and move backwards to fall short of the goal line... I think that might have actually been the potential game winning kick too...

32 minutes ago, bearpants said:

not quite the same thing... but a few years ago in a playoff game between Mtl and Hamilton... there was a FG that went up and looked like it had more than enough distance... only to get caught in the wind, stop and move backwards to fall short of the goal line... I think that might have actually been the potential game winning kick too...

Can't remember the exact situation, but I definitely remember the kick.  I thought Toronto was involved in that game, but it was a few years ago so I could be mistaken.  Looked hilarious from the side view anyway.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Can't remember the exact situation, but I definitely remember the kick.  I thought Toronto was involved in that game, but it was a few years ago so I could be mistaken.  Looked hilarious from the side view anyway.

Toronto and Montreal, maybe?... or Hamilton and Toronto... two east teams and one of them definitely wasn't Ottawa!

I had forgotten about this game & in reality it was my all time favourite.  Here are some of my thoughts about it. 

August, 1969. Winnipeg Stadium. The Saskatchewan Roughriders vs the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Bombers had just traded superstar running back Dave Raimey to the Argos the week before. The Bombers had hoped that 1968's highly touted rookie qb John Schneider would begin to show potential to become the team's long term starter replacing Ken Ploen who had retired after the 1967 season. However, Schneider struggled mightily in 1968 behind a porous OL.  The reality was that other than Raimey & flanker Ken Nielsen there was little or no talent to speak of surrounding him to get the ball to.

In those days, Neither individual teams or the CFL kept track of the number of sacks teams gave up. Had they done so, the Bombers would have led the league by a wide margin in that category. Schneider's stats in 1968 showed that he threw almost 3 1/2 times as many picks (28) than TD passes (8) & his completion percentage was well under half at 44.8%. The fans had turned on Schneider & his confidence was shot. NFL veteran Don Weiss was the backup to Schneider. Rick Cassata the third string qb (another rookie) got very little playing time in 1969  throwing one pass. Casatta was eventually cut only to be picked up by the  Ottawa Rough Riders where he led them to a Grey Cup victory in 1973 (That figures). 

The Bombers started the 1969 season on July 29th with a disastrous home opening  33-0 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos.  A game where Schneider went 3 of 10 for 13 yards. Schneider played so badly that he was pulled at halftime & the veteran Weiss went in to mop up but hardly fared any better. The next day he was cut & the John Schneider era sadly came to a merciful end. The Bombers returned the favour by beating the Esks 14-13 in Edmonton a week later on August 4th under the guidance of Don Weiss at qb.

The Bombers then lost the following week in Toronto on August 14th. But before the game,  superstar running back Dave Raimey, who had grown tired of playing for a losing team publicly blasted the Bomber organization in the local Winnipeg media outlets claiming the team wasn't committed to doing what it took to build a winner.  As well as saying Joe Zaleski & his staff were lousy coaches. Raimey demanded a trade to a winning team. However, in his book, "Goodbye Leo" ,  Argos Head Coach Leo Cahill claimed that when the Bombers played the Argos at CNE Stadium on August 14th, the Bombers ran a running play with Raimey going out of bounds at the Argos bench. The 2 had a quick conversation that went something like this: 

Raimey: "I wanna play here, Coach."

Cahill:     "We're working on a trade to get you here."

Raimey:  "What? Really?"

Cahill:     "Yeah.  In the works."

Then Raimey excitedly ran back to the huddle knowing his days as a Bomber were numbered.

A day or two later, the trade was consumated. Going west to the Bombers was Argos veteran qb Wally Gabler (who was now the backup to Tom Wilkinson) with Raimey going east to Toronto. The Bombers were desperate to find a qb who could start & win. They felt that they had their man in Wally Gabler. It was a trade not only made out of desperation but also out of necessity as Raimey had embarrassed the Blue Bombers & especially GM Earl Lunsford with his comments to the media.  That was something Lunsford would not tolerate with his Oklahoma temper & Raimey  knew the consequences of his actions were coming.. 

On August 27, 1969 after less than a week of practice, Gabler started for the team & directed the 1-3 Blue Bombers to a huge 16-14 win over the first place 4-0 Saskatchewan Roughriders.  The win drew some much needed life into a team that would struggle the rest of the 1969 season by finishing dead last in the CFL at 3-12-1. However, for that one game, Wally Gabler was magical in defeating the first place Riders. I remember how big a deal that victory was that night & how for the week following Gabler owned this town. That & the fact that was my very first Blue Bomber game I had ever attended. I was 14 years old & man was I hooked. After the game my friend & I ran onto the grass field at Winnipeg Stadium trying to tackle one another... hooting, hollering & screaming along with hundreds of other kids while the players were going back to their locker rooms. What. A. Great. Memory!

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A day or two later, the trade was consumated. Going west to the Bombers was Argos veteran qb Wally Gabler (who was now the backup to Tom Wilkinson) with Raimey going east to Toronto. The Bombers were desperate to find a qb who could start & win. They felt that they had their man in Wally Gabler. It was a trade not only made out of desperation but also out of necessity as Raimey had embarrassed the Blue Bombers & especially GM Earl Lunsford with his comments to the media.  That was something Lunsford would not tolerate with his Oklahoma temper. 

On August 27, 1969 after less than a week of practice, Gabler started for the team & directed the 1-3 Blue Bombers to a huge 16-14 win over the first place 4-0 Saskatchewan Roughriders.  The win drew some much needed life into a team that would struggle the rest of the 1969 season by finishing last in the CFL at 3-12-1. However, for that one game, Wally Gabler was magical in defeating the first place Riders. I remember how big a deal that victory was that night & how for the week following Gabler owned this town. That & the fact that was my very first Blue Bomber game I had ever attended. I was 14 years old & man was I hooked. After the game my friend & I ran onto the grass field at Winnipeg Stadium trying to tackle one another... hooting, hollering & screaming with hundreds of other kids while the players were going back to their locker rooms. What. A. Great. Memory!

I didn't know that Tom Wilkinson was an Argo at one time.  I always thought he had been an Eskimo lifer!  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Still dont see the horse collar. I see a guy falling down. Actually play should have died early cuz durants knees touch the field. 

I remember being at that game live and being livid there was a flag thrown... the assumption was that Marcellus Bowman was being penalized... the horse collar penalty was the right call...

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I didn't know that Tom Wilkinson was an Argo at one time.  I always thought he had been an Eskimo lifer!  Thanks!

He played for the Toronto Rifles of the Intercontinental Football league where Cahill coached him & Don Jonas. Wilkie played for the Argos from 1968 thru the 69 season.  Jonas played for the Argos in 1970 before being shipped off to the Bombers. Wilkie played for the Lions in 1970 but started only one game before being released & signed by the Eskimos. 

Interestingly enough, a football writer in the US did a story on Jonas in the early 70's when he was still playing & called him The best quarterback not playing in the NFL". 

Here is Wilkie handing the ball off to Dave Raimey after the big trade. In today's game you'd never see a starting qb play with a gut like that. No matter how good he was. Nutrition along with  year round conditioning & strength programs put an end to that. 

Image result for tom wilkinson argos

Edited by SpeedFlex27