Movin' on to take on the Calgary Stampeders!!!!

Wanna-B-Fanboy

The part I question about this is the positioning of the extra official.  As evidenced from the last game, watching the ref cam, his view was clearly obstructed and could not make the call because he couldn't see it.  Having another person out there doesn't guarantee a clear view, while the eye in the sky has more than enough angles to make it virtually impossible to miss.

42 minutes ago, Booch said:

NO..this would be better as it would be called immediately...without need for review or a team have to waste a challenge

I'm not suggesting that a team would have to challenge. I suggesting that the eye in the sky be allowed to apply the penalty without a challenge. They are already supposed to be spotting concussions.

still tho...could cause delays in the flow of game..let it be called immediately on field if you have another guy out there dancing around to keep a clear view of the QB...and from history...how reliebale or effective has this "eye in the sky" been a lot of the time...not very

I'm very glad they did this, should definitely help make players that are inclined to take head shots, stop doing it.

Anything they can do to help stop head shots, is good. Ejection is what I want to see for the worst of it.

I think it's odd that people are so critical. Very small,  way to look at it. Slow down the game?  so what.

We are talking about brain damage, who gives a crap if this slows the game down, or results in a couple of questionable penalties.

I also disagree that Ambrosie is doing a bad job. 

reffing is a problem in every single sports league in the world.  Our guys for the most part do a decent job.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Where is this ref going to be positioned?  If they see an egregious hold or illegal block they can’t call it?

Just when you think they couldn’t get any stupider.

And a headshot on a receiver or RB? Yeah, ignore that. I am only allowed to watch the QB. Dumb as bricks.

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

I'm very glad they did this, should definitely help make players that are inclined to take head shots, stop doing it.

Anything they can do to help stop head shots, is good. Ejection is what I want to see for the worst of it.

I think it's odd that people are so critical. Very small,  way to look at it. Slow down the game? come on.

We are talking about brain damage, who gives a crap if this slows the game down, or results in a couple of questionable penalties.

This isn't about prevention, it's about repercussions. It doesn't stop the head shot, just applies a penalty afterwards. 

Since that's the case, why not just let the eye in the sky, that can review multiple angles, do it. 

Does it change anyone's behaviour? 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

This isn't about prevention, it's about repercussions. It doesn't stop the head shot, just applies a penalty afterwards. 

Since that's the case, why not just let the eye in the sky, that can review multiple angles, do it. 

Does it change anyone's behaviour? 

It is about changing behavior.

and Yes it will change behaviour.

Takes a while for some players to change. but they do. Looks like Micah Awe has stopped head shots.

It'll take a while, but the intentional head shots will stop. 

Maybe they will also use the sky camera.

This is something that has been a part of football for decades. Not long ago, these kind of hits were celebrated, and put on highlight reels.Jack Tatum etc.

gloating players standing over the prone concussed player. 

Not going to change in a year.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

Yes it will change behaviour.

Maybe they will use the camera as well.

Takes a while for some players to change. but they do. Looks like Micah Awe has stopped head shots.

Was Jeffcoat's an intentional head shot or simply a reckless hit? 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Was Jeffcoat's an intentional head shot or simply a reckless hit? 

looked unintentional to me. He's never played dirty.

The one on Messam, I think it was Awe, where it was clearly intentional... ejection and suspension. 

there are clear cut cases.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

looked unintentional to me. He's never played dirty, why start with a few seconds left in a game that was over.

The one on Messam, I think it was Awe, where it was clearly intentional... ejection and suspension. 

And I'm fine with head shots being ejections. That might prevent the intentional and reckless hits. 

But, why can't that be reviewed by with video review, multiple angles? 

Also, this ref wouldn't call the Awe-Messam hit. 

12 minutes ago, Mark F said:

looked unintentional to me. He's never played dirty.

Maybe never played dirty but this is his second fine for a head shot (Was fined last year in the playoffs for a hit on Reiley). I agree that his seemed to be just a bad hit and was caused from a few factors. Much different than the one on one hit Collaros took from Willis.

48 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It is about changing behavior.

and Yes it will change behaviour.

Maybe they will also use the sky camera.

This is something that has been a part of football for decades. Not long ago, these kind of hits were celebrated, and put on highlight reels.Jack Tatum etc.

gloating players standing over the prone concussed player. 

Not going to change in a year.

Good points, that can all be dealt with in the off-season.   I believe adding suspensions with no pay would have an immediate impact on players pursuing the QB, but it would be nice to see the rules applied equally to protect all players not just the QB's. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 minute ago, MC said:

The posters saying to run away from Singleton are completely wrong.  They need to run right at him early so they can hit him.  You don't avoid good players in the front 7, you go after them.  This is not flag football.

The Bombers did a really good job of softening up the Sask D.  The key to running like that is not going away from it and variety.  They hit the dives and leads between the tackles hard early and then mixed in off-tackle stuff.  Streveler is key too.

My fear is that if they fall behind by a score or more Lapo will let the run fall by the wayside, even early in the game.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

still tho...could cause delays in the flow of game..let it be called immediately on field if you have another guy out there dancing around to keep a clear view of the QB...and from history...how reliebale or effective has this "eye in the sky" been a lot of the time...not very

Every flag causes a delay. I have more faith in the eye in the sky and their multiple angles than I do in a ref on the field whose viewing angle might be distorted or blocked. That was the whole reason the last 2 QB head shots were 'missed'.

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The key to running like that is not going away from it

Harris interview, might have been a radio interview... said the same thing. 

There have been games where they just stopped running the ball. Maybe they've changed that approach.

Edited by Mark F