Movin' on to take on the Calgary Stampeders!!!!

Wanna-B-Fanboy

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The Stamps D started so strong but man they really fell off towards the end of the season. Be really interesting to see if they've figured **** out or not. I actually have a lot of faith in our offense, Lapo has done a good job with it the last few years. 

This group is so tight, why not win this game and play in a Grey Cup? We're about due. 

No kidding. At some point the Football Gods have to say enough is enough & it's time we won a Grey Cup. THIS YEAR. No team has been to 3 consecutive Grey Cups since the Eskimos in 1980. They were a special team. The Stamps aren't. We have a real shot. If we play disciplined, smart & mistake free football. 

FROM 3DOWNNATION:

West Division Final
Winnipeg at Calgary, 4:30 p.m.

Forgive the Winnipeg Blue Bombers if they’d rather forget about the last time they faced Bo Levi Mitchell at McMahon Stadium.

On Aug. 25, Mitchell threw for 452 yards three touchdowns in a 39-26 home win. The two teams return to McMahon Stadium on Sunday in the West Division final.

To be fair, much has happened since then. Most notably, Winnipeg clinched a playoff berth Oct. 26 with a 29-21 home victory over Calgary, its first victory over the Stampeders in nine tries.

The Bombers also handed Mitchell a career-first third straight loss, but the Stamps ended that dubious streak with a season-ending 26-9 road victory over B.C. to finish atop the West Division.

Kamar Jorden played a big role in Calgary’s home victory over Winnipeg. He had 10 catches for a club-record 249 yards and a TD before suffering a season-ending knee injury later in the year.

Then again, former Bomber Chris Matthews had five catches for 113 yards in last month’s loss to Winnipeg. Over the two games, Mitchell has completed 47-of-77 passes for 726 yards with four TDs and no interceptions as Calgary chases a third straight Grey Cup appearance and its first championship since 2014.

But Winnipeg starter Matt Nichols has won his last six straight starts with eight TDs and just one interception over that span. Nichols had a season-high 358 yards and two TDs in the home win over Calgary.

Winnipeg comes in off its 23-18 road win over Saskatchewan in the West Division semifinal, its first playoff victory since beating Hamilton in 2011 East Division final. The Bombers, who haven’t won a CFL title since 1990, went on to lose 34-23 in the Grey Cup to the Lions at B.C. Place Stadium.

A big key to the Bombers ending their title drought could be running back Andrew Harris. For the second straight year the Winnipeg native was the CFL’s rushing leader (1,390 yards) and was named a finalist for the league’s top Canadian award (he won it in 2017).

Harris ran for 123 second-half yards against Saskatchewan and is more than capable of carrying the Bombers’ offence by himself. However, Harris does get a lot of help from Winnipeg’s solid offensive line.

That unit helped Winnipeg lead the CFL in rushing (134.9 yards per game) and rushing TDs (23) and finish tied in average rushing gain (5.7 yards).

Although Winnipeg’s passing attack ranked sixth overall (244.9 yards per game), the Bombers led the CFL in offensive points per game (28.2) and offensive TDs (53) and were tied for third in fewest sacks allowed (36).

Winnipeg’s defence finished tied with Calgary for most forced turnovers (49) and second to the Stampeders in fewest offensive points allowed (20.8), offensive touchdowns (35) and passing touchdowns (15). Linebacker Adam Bighill anchors the unit and will play Sunday despite suffering an undisclosed injury against Saskatchewan.

However, questions exist about the status of linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox, who had a team-high eight tackles and a forced fumble in the win over Calgary.

Calgary boasts a 34-20 (.630) home playoff record and was 7-2 this season at McMahon. The Stampeders’ last home playoff loss was in 2013 to Saskatchewan.

Since 1972, the home team in the West Division final is 27-19 (.587).

Winnipeg counters with a 22-32 (407) road playoff record and was 4-5 this season away from Investors Group Field.

Edwards: I still think Calgary is the best team in the CFL. Time to prove it. STAMPS
Dunk: Party in the Peg. BOMBERS
Hodge: The bye week is everything. STAMPS
Gasson: I said the Bombers before the began. Can’t back out now. BOMBERS
Filoso: Hard to pick against the Stamps at home but Winnipeg is deeper and more consistent BOMBERS
Smith: This should be a doozy. The Bombers put up one heckuva fight, but Calgary finds a way to get back for third straight year. STAMPS
Totals: BOMBERS 3 STAMPS 3

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No kidding. At some point the Football Gods have to say enough is enough & it's time we won a Grey Cup. THIS YEAR. No team has been to 3 consecutive Grey Cups since the Eskimos in 1980. They were a special team. The Stamps aren't. We have a real shot. If we play disciplined, smart & mistake free football. 

There are no football gods...... if the bombers can secure this win they will receive full credit for getting it done.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I think it comes down to can the Stamps stop or at least control Harris. If they can, I don't see us getting the win unless we win the turnover battle by 2.

Harris does get controlled sometimes...so I am thinking the coaches have been planning for if it happens again.... and these next two games we have we may see how it unfolds. 

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think it comes down to can the Stamps stop or at least control Harris. If they can, I don't see us getting the win unless we win the turnover battle by 2.

I would hope we are not that one dimensional if they happen to minimize Harris's production. If they do early I hope Lapo remains patient and doesn't go away from the run. We aren't really a big play type team, lets just grind them into the ground. Field position, field position, field position

I say my man Dressler comes up big today to help out my other man Harris.

Go Blue.

The Bombers really have to focus on having some long sustained drives... if Calgary puts up some points early and turns this into a shootout, I don't think we can keep up.  Run the ball, mix in some short passes and take time off the clock.  The defence can shut them down if they get pressure, but if Mitchell is given time to get the ball downfield, he's going to make his plays.   Unfortunately, I don't see Harris getting another 150+ game on the ground, so Nichols is going to have to get it done in the air!   I hope they mix in some more Streveler like they were doing last week.   I think him ripping off a few first yard runs will help!   It's cliche, but it really is going to take a total team game to make it to the Grey Cup!   That said, I'm predicting a Bomber/Ticats final.   Bombers 34-Stamps 31 today!

54 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Like every football game in the history of the game it will all come down to the line of scrimmage. Win that and you're going to win the game. 

35 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

The Bombers really have to focus on having some long sustained drives... if Calgary puts up some points early and turns this into a shootout, I don't think we can keep up.  Run the ball, mix in some short passes and take time off the clock.  The defence can shut them down if they get pressure, but if Mitchell is given time to get the ball downfield, he's going to make his plays.   Unfortunately, I don't see Harris getting another 150+ game on the ground, so Nichols is going to have to get it done in the air!   I hope they mix in some more Streveler like they were doing last week.   I think him ripping off a few first yard runs will help!   It's cliche, but it really is going to take a total team game to make it to the Grey Cup!   That said, I'm predicting a Bomber/Ticats final.   Bombers 34-Stamps 31 today!

I'm not looking at the O. to accomplish more than they usually do in a well played game but in what the D. can do to prevent  BLM free access to the endzone whenever he wants as he did in the first matchup. It's imperative they play a very good game and do not give up numerous explosion plays to the Stamps, it all comes down to pressure and coverage, the O will take care of it's self.