Game Day Thread- Week Twenty Two, Western Semi-Final: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Saskatchewan Riders November 11th, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

13 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Earlier in the season I was critical of TSN for cutting away from a Bombers game to start the next one and a couple people heeled on me for not PVR'ing TSN3.  So I set TSN 3 to record Bombers games after that.  Had a busy afternoon and was thrilled to learn the "Bombers channel" actually joined the game in progress in the 3rd quarter.  Fortunately, a buddy texted me shortly before 4 to ask if I was watching and I able to set a new recording.

Moral of the story is, record every TSN channel because lord only knows what and when they'll show.

Thats my contribution to this thread. 😉

Go Bombers!

Honestly I don't trust TSN to do anything right, so I'll generally choose TSN3 by default for Bombers games, especially living in Calgary where there's the chance they'll switch to something else. It is kind of weird that they didn't show that whole game on 3, though, so dunno what to say about that one.

Edited by CanuckGod

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The Bombers D won't get the credit they deserve, too many years of soft coverage people won't look at what they're actually doing this season.

Honestly... I hope it stays that way... this team always seems to perform better when they're doubted... I hope they're 7 points dogs against Calagry... I hope TSN says we won't be able to score on Cgy... I hope everyone at CFL.ca has Calgary winning... tell this group of guys they can't do it... that's when they're at their best...

19 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Are you sure? I swear I PVR'ed TSN 3 and got the whole game. HD or standard def?

Nope, they had it starting at 5PM and went to it live in progress.

It seems pretty obvious to me.  If TSN shows a game on TSN1 they should stick with it til the end (unless its a monumental blow out).  The incoming game can be plugged as airing over on a different channel until the first game is over.

In this case, it was weird.  Im not sure why I didnt just record TSN 1 other then being lambasted about "always" recording TSN 3 because it's the "Manitoba station".  

I asked the gf to record a game a few weeks ago too and told her TSN 3 and she said it was showing a Jets game.  So I guess the moral of the story is, no TSN 3 is not "always" the go-to channel for Bombers coverage.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nope, they had it starting at 5PM and went to it live in progress.

It seems pretty obvious to me.  If TSN shows a game on TSN1 they should stick with it til the end (unless its a monumental blow out).  The incoming game can be plugged as airing over on a different channel until the first game is over.

In this case, it was weird.  Im not sure why I didnt just record TSN 1 other then being lambasted about "always" recording TSN 3 because it's the "Manitoba station".  

I asked the gf to record a game a few weeks ago too and told her TSN 3 and she said it was showing a Jets game.  So I guess the moral of the story is, no TSN 3 is not "always" the go-to channel for Bombers coverage.

I think the dfference is because it's playoffs... the main station will be covering all the games til completion...

9 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

It seems insane to me in this day and age that we need to worry about channel at all. We should be able to tell it to record the Bomber game, and everything else should be figured out automatically. If TSN moves is to another channel, so be it.

What, do you think we went to the moon or something? ;)

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To the posters here who went to the game.... what are your impressions of the New Mosaic? How does it compare to IGF? Please look at it unbiased & give me an honest opinion.

I went to Mosaic for the first time on Sunday. It was nice. Beautiful even. I think IGF's roof covers a bit more of the stands. I felt it was comparable to IGF. Probably depends on which fan you are (Bombers or Riders) that would determine which stadium you prefer.

IGF stadium announcer is way better.

The Rider fans honestly were respectful to me and my buddy. A couple of fans even shook our hands afterwards and wished us luck.

Oh yeah, one more thing...IGF was definitely louder - although I haven't been at Mosaic for a LDC game yet - but IGF crowd is louder.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To the posters here who went to the game.... what are your impressions of the New Mosaic? How does it compare to IGF? Please look at it unbiased & give me an honest opinion.

Its basically IGF with a different roof. The blueprints are identical damn near. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Its basically IGF with a different roof. The blueprints are identical damn near. 

It's similar in some respects to IGF but very different in many ways.

My (scattered) observations:

I was on the East Side, wayyy up, third from last row. @trueBlue83 sat behind me. We seemed pretty far away but it didn't impair our enjoyment. I've never sat that high at IGF but this seemed much further back. In fact, the entire upper deck was much further back. Seemed steeper too. IGF is feels more intimate overall. 

The rows go down super close to the field at Mosaic. Much lower than IGF. I would hate to sit in the front row because you wouldn't be able to see much. 

It was definitely quieter at Mosaic. Partly due to the cold weather (and having mitts on their hands) and partly, it seemed as though they were distracted. The crowd barely reacted to plays. Not sure why. Also, I didn't have many people behind me, so maybe it just seemed quieter. 

Just like IGF, the East Side sucks - it was filled with Rider fans. 

We were sheltered from the wind and covered, so stayed very comfortable all game. We dressed very warmly and had unzip our jackets a few times to cool down a bit. 

They seats were really narrow and seemed cheap. I was thankful, with all my warm gear on, that no one was sitting next to me or I would have felt way to squished. 

The screen at the south end is very large and clear. From our seats, we couldn't clearly see the screen in the north east corner. No biggie. 

Didn't really care for their announcer. He seemed bored. 

Their ramp to the upper levels was narrow. Honestly, I felt cramped because I'm used to IGF, but it's probably better that way. It would have cost them less and allowed for more room within the stadium. 

No on field shenanigans. They kept all their promotions in the stands. Not sure it matters, just an observation. 

The concourse on the upper East side was nice and wide. Lots of more room to move around. Also, when the sun was up, it made it seem much lighter up there. IGF seems really dark, day or night. But, a fan said to me when I made that observation, that it also created a big wind tunnel. The service was FARRRR better there. Much quicker and didn't seem confused with every order I made. I also observed that the staff were much older too. 

The concourses on the lower level were sheltered from the field, as has been mentioned lots, so you wouldn't be able to see the game from there. Hence, more people in seats. I prefer the social elements of IGF. 

Where IGF has all sorts of booths and stands that jet into the upper concourses, they have everything recessed. That makes things easier to move around but they didn't have tables to eat at. I'll take the Mosaic layout and space over the cramped feeling of IGF. 

They have a good beer menu. Tall boy Heinekens were on $10. They had Blue Moon beer advertised at $9/can but I paid $8. I don't remember much else, sorry. 

One bathroom on the upper East Side. Seemed really big but the line was slow at halftime. I prefer having multiple at IGF. But just like IGF, you have to constantly tell people that there are more toilets around the corner. 

Bus system is less efficient than IGF now. With the corridor, IGF has them beat. But, I would say their system is better than what we had before the corridor opened. 

They probably didn't love our "And that is another Winnipeg...First Down!" chant. But hey, it's was a fun way for us to connect with the other Bomber fans there. Again, though, I noticed how quiet their crowd was. 

Most importantly, the crowd was very friendly and fun. We had a great time and won't hesitate to go back. Tried really hard to be respectful. One or two fans tried to goad us but we just played it super friendly. 

EDIT: Forgot to add... Their scoreboard does not show team stats during the game. I found that annoying. IGF is not entirely reliable but it does update. Nothing at Mosaic and I missed it. I didn't want to pull out my phone to check the stats all the time. 

Edited by JCon

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Most importantly, the crowd was very friendly and fun. We had a great time and won't hesitate to go back. Tried really hard to be respectful. One or two fans tried to goad us but we just played it super friendly. 

more often than not, this is the case... you get a few keyboard warriors who ruin it for the rest of them... but I've typically had the same experience with Rider fans...

On 2018-11-12 at 12:44 PM, trueBlue83 said:

There were plenty of fans on the way out of the stadium complaining about how the missed called on Jeffcoat cost them the game.   They had 100 yards passing all night, but magically, they were going to complete a 50 yarder on the last play of the game.  The argument from one guy, 'there might have been a PI penalty on the hail Mary' .  Just delusional some of them.  Had a good chat with a level headed fan on the bus though.  He congratulated us, and said the reason they lost was they couldn't stop Harris. Some are good, but there will always be whiners!

A little earlier in the quarter Suitor mentioned that Bridge hadn’t completed a pass over 20 yards since July. Would have needed more than magic.

I said same thing..he pivoted to lead with shoulder.. and caught Bridge in chin as he went through him.. only thing he could have done different to avoid it would have been to dip lower and hit him in the gut..but in the millisecond u have to make a play in a game..from experience your instincts take over and u just go for the hit...other than the proven cheap shot head hunters...also..in no way shape or form was it late..and fact of matter..had zero bearing on the game whatsoever..and is just whining now for tha sake of whining