Game Day Thread- Week Twenty Two, Western Semi-Final: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Saskatchewan Riders November 11th, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Man ... it's the morning after and I honestly woke up feeling the same way I did last night. I got home from work at about 9 PM after going stealth mode all day and not spoiling the results, and I watched the game on the PVR ... and honestly, I'm SO happy we beat the Riders and I'm so happy they have so many things to whine about all offseason in regards to how they could've, should've and would've. No Collaros, questionable Bridge hit, blah blah blah who cares, I absolutely love to see that fanbase get whooped in the playoffs and have zero answer.

All week long I had to listen to them throw out every ridiculous thought about "mind games" and how "they didn't even need a QB" and how we couldn't and wouldn't handle their world class defence. Forget about it. Our team dominated that game, score be damned (don't even get me started on the weak ass play calling inside the 35) and we did it in their stadium and ruined their first ever playoff game just like we ruined their first ever regular season game.

Good. Riders suck. Have fun whining the rest of the offseason away.

Yeah...feel the same way...i had to pvr as well as was going to be hour late to watch...and loved every minute of it...Also the fact that some of the Riders chirped pre game..Jefferson on the 3 all-starts..Poop out for blood...well the O-line took em out to the woodshed and slapped them around all game..and we didn't even really open up our offence as we didn't have to...we played it safe and didn't allow any chance of their defense having a chance to make a play...or score...basically the sole reason for 7 of their wins this year.

Pretty sure we knew coming in if we put up 20 points...and didn't turn ball over we would win....and that for the most part our statistically better and more well rounded defense would hold them to under 20...and thats exactly what happened..a flawed team all year long had lady luck not show up when they needed it...and well...you saw the results...that 12-6 record was smoke an mirrors...and like I said in a different thread..they won 5 games this year where the defense or ST's didn't score..and in 2 of those wins..they barely eeked out wins against Montreal and T.O...

The Bombers really didn't have any need to run up the score. They played such a safe game offensively it really made it closer than it was. They knew the only chance the Riders had was if the Bombers turned the ball over so they just put the focus on that and when the game was nearing the end they just took the ball and rammed it right down the Riders throats on the ground. Was a thing of beauty. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Ian Wild did not look all that good when he was in. He and Sayles were targeted and victimized. Here's hoping that Santos-Knox will be back for next Sunday.

The reason they were going after Sayles was that he was on Roosevelt, the only receiver Bridge seemed to see on the field all day.  I heard Rob Bagg was playing, but I never saw him.

Wild led team in tackles...and no...they were not all in "chase" mode...he played well...obviously holding their 2 headed running back attack to under what...40 yards and giving up 100 yards passing in the whole game was an indication of fine linebacking play...no?

Not sure of all the Wild hate here...it's not like he an old slow guy on backside of his career...he's a 28 year old guy who is probably one of the most fit guys on the team

Edited by Booch

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The reason they were going after Sayles was that he was on Roosevelt, the only receiver Bridge seemed to see on the field all day.  I heard Rob Bagg was playing, but I never saw him.

This, I think I can remember one pass that didn't go to one of Roosevelt or Williams Lambert. Bridge clearly had one read and then ran. 

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I have watched the Jeffcoat hit a dozen times and I still can't see how it was anything but accidental. It wasn't late, and he doesn't duck his head or lead with his helmet. If he gets suspended I call conspiracy.

or at the very least I would call "shenanigans".  

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

or at the very least I would call "shenanigans".  

and I would demand that the league 'stop this sort of thing'...I can't believe that a suspension, with a game that is so important to us on the horizon, would be considered...That hit  by Jeffcoat on Bridge was NOT deliberate no matter what all of those yokels in Reina say...

There were plenty of fans on the way out of the stadium complaining about how the missed called on Jeffcoat cost them the game.   They had 100 yards passing all night, but magically, they were going to complete a 50 yarder on the last play of the game.  The argument from one guy, 'there might have been a PI penalty on the hail Mary' .  Just delusional some of them.  Had a good chat with a level headed fan on the bus though.  He congratulated us, and said the reason they lost was they couldn't stop Harris. Some are good, but there will always be whiners!

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Wild led team in tackles...and no...they were not all in "chase" mode...he played well...obviously holding their 2 headed running back attack to under what...40 yards and giving up 100 yards passing in the whole game was an indication of fine linebacking play...no?

Not sure of all the Wild hate here...it's not like he an old slow guy on backside of his career...he's a 28 year old guy who is probably one of the most fit guys on the team

Wild may be very fit and experienced but he is a good player. However Santos-Knox has been little short of great this year playing beside Mr. Grandmont. Doubtless, Jovan has learned a lot and would be missed if he does not play against Cowgary.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Pretty simple answer to this one .. do you think Riders wish they had their challenge when Bridge got hit?

We could’ve been in that same situation. I don’t see the need to blow the challenge on a call they’re clearly not going to reverse.

I guess it comes down to your assertion that this was "a call they're clearly not going to reverse." Not quite sure how you can be so certain of that. Esp since a few others have now weighed in on other angles by which the call could be considered questionable.

For his part, in the post game presser, MOS said "I'm not sure if that ball was really catch-able or even if they take that into account..." With all due respect, they DO take that into account and, actually, it is the head coach's job to know that they do. I maintain that if coach had said he was challenging on the basis that the ball was not catchable then it is not a no brainer that they wouldn't reverse it upon review (since, I'd hope, upon review they'd see that it actually was not catchable).

As far as saving the challenge for a more important moment later in the last drive (ala Booch), if you are not prepared to use your challenge to try to maintain an 11 point cushion with less than 3 min left in the game, your judgement may be off as to what constitutes a important moment. The fact is - as it turns out - there was not another "riper" challenge situation that arose in the final 3 min. By the "keep waiting till the last drive" logic, you'd often wait for something better that - in reality - often would not emerge, only to discover that time had ran out and you ended up not using it at all...hey, wait a minute...that's exactly what happened.

In sum: I maintain it was not a call they would never reverse, ergo it was worth challenging at that stage in the game given the critical importance of the call.

The reason I even raise it is it makes me a bit nervous about coach's judgment in critical situations. Granted, he's had some much bigger brain cramps in the past. This was definitely minor compared to the infamous 62 yard field goal instead of gambling on 3rd and 4.

But maybe we should stick with what we can agree on? Like...it's pretty sweet to beat the riders in both their first ever game and playoff game at Mosaic. :)

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

29dkak8.jpg.......Bits and pieces - the Smoke and Mirrors edition

👁‍🗨 Love it when both the Jets and Bombers win on the same day..

👁‍🗨 That hitch pass, that was ruled incomplete, sure looked like it was a live ball, that is because Bridge threw it behind his own position 

👁‍🗨 I simply cannot say enough Harris. Well I can say that, but you know what I mean.

👁‍🗨 Their special teams were...more special than ours. 181 yards on kickoff returns. Damn lucky we could overcome that.

👁‍🗨 What? No dancing or fancy footsteps from Jefferson the starshi*..

👁‍🗨 As mentioned, that guy Bennett can sure tackle..

👁‍🗨 Dressler - only comes through when needed..😁

👁‍🗨 Is the O-Line overrated? Not a friggin chance. I’d give you an Andrew Harris salute!

👁‍🗨 How to keep the opposition in the game? Gift them a PI call in the end zone on an uncatchable ball. That’s how.

👁‍🗨 They really have to get better balance in the CFL on challenges. What they’ve done has really helped but when you use a challenge, and are correct, you should get to keep that challenge.

👁‍🗨 Love how the Rider fans kept expecting Nichols to make a big mistake. No, no, you fools, he’s learned not to gift you another game to you.

👁‍🗨 We respect everyone, fear no one." - Matt Nichols

👁‍🗨 Smartest thing this guy wrote all year..

“They were the better team and there was zero doubt about it”. - Rod Pedersen 

👁‍🗨 So, maybe now the talk of O’Shea has to win a playoff game before we talk extension will finally subside.

👁‍🗨 I think it’s worth mentioning that during the previous game in Hamilton, when they stopped the game to observe Remembrance Day, the sound of silence was impressive. You could not hear any noise whatsoever. Well done.

👁‍🗨 Bridge’s 32 yard run at the start of the game didn’t sit well with my playoff nerves.

👁‍🗨 Chris Jones - nobody will think you’re less tough if you wear a jacket..

👁‍🗨 Bombers had a solid game plan and it was executed to a tee.

👁‍🗨 That Eguavoen guy is a great player, isn’t he?

👁‍🗨 Boy did Dressler play tough or what?..

👁‍🗨 On the Fogg interception. Kudos to Bighill and Brandin Bryant for pressuring Bridge to throw that Ill-advised pass. Ha ha to Suitor for commenting that Bridge was throwing more accurately just before that. Double ha ha for saying the ball slipped out of his hand and sticking to that comment.

14 hours ago, CanuckGod said:

Exactly this - I wouldn't have lost a ton of sleep had they called a penalty... all it would do would give the Riders 15 more yards and it would have still been the 3rd stringer throwing it with 8 seconds left since Bridge was injured anyhow.

Either way, the Bombers are coming here to Calgary!!! Time to shoot those dead horses and get to the Grey Cup!

Based on my research there would still have been less than a 3% chance of success on a hail mary when scrimmaging from the bombers 49 yard line.

Earlier in the season I was critical of TSN for cutting away from a Bombers game to start the next one and a couple people heeled on me for not PVR'ing TSN3.  So I set TSN 3 to record Bombers games after that.  Had a busy afternoon and was thrilled to learn the "Bombers channel" actually joined the game in progress in the 3rd quarter.  Fortunately, a buddy texted me shortly before 4 to ask if I was watching and I able to set a new recording.

Moral of the story is, record every TSN channel because lord only knows what and when they'll show.

Thats my contribution to this thread. 😉

Go Bombers!

i enjoyed watching the blocking on the run just before the Harris TD...3 guys are just manhandles and pushed down field..Watch Neufeld get to Judge..and just walk him down the field about 10 to 12 yards...push him out of bounds and down to the turf..you can hear him yelling at him calling him an "effing *****"....sooo funny...I love our oline