Game Day Thread- Week Twenty Two, Western Semi-Final: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Saskatchewan Riders November 11th, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

A huge congrats to you, MOS, for winning a playoff game. Awesome.

Couple questions though. Why not use your challenge on the ticky-tack interference call in the end zone with about 2 min left? You know, the one that gifts the otherwise totally hapless sliders with their only TD of the night. Couldn't you have made the following points to the refs: a) receiver initiates contact b) receiver then clearly embellishes effect of contact and/or c) the ball was not catch-able. More to the point, what is the risk in using your challenge flag at that point? did you think there would be a better or more impactful candidate in the final 2 min? To not challenge at that juncture was basically to gift them the TD. A second good challenge candidate would have been the lateral that was called an incomplete pass. I understand wanting to avoid wasting your challenge, but to not use your challenge at all is a waste when there are high-reward candidates in the mix.

Still. Congrats on the win. Must feel helluva good.

Finally, the only thing better than winning a playoff game? Doing it at Mosaic. In their first ever playoff game there. To send rider p** home for 6 more months of nothingness.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

Even though Ambrosie has come out and said there should have been a call, I would love someone to post a review of the hit with Jeffcoat leading with his head.  I had to watch it in real time and when they showed the refcam view where the ref was blocked it also looked as though Jeffcoat was leading with his shoulder and that their shoulders first collided and then you can't see what happens afterwards but I am assuming that is when the head contact took place.  Either case; we had a couple iffy calls that gave the Riders a TD so I don't think missing that call changes the out come of the game because then we would also just complain about the other two calls that allowed the riders to be so close anyways.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

The hit to the head should have been called but I don’t see it as an impact on the result.  It would have still come down to a highly improbable Hail Mary pass. 

Exactly this - I wouldn't have lost a ton of sleep had they called a penalty... all it would do would give the Riders 15 more yards and it would have still been the 3rd stringer throwing it with 8 seconds left since Bridge was injured anyhow.

Either way, the Bombers are coming here to Calgary!!! Time to shoot those dead horses and get to the Grey Cup!

6 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Love the gutsy win, but I'm just saying the rule book specifically states the following:

A player shall be penalized for any act of Unnecessary Roughness to the passer, including but not limited to:

(b) Any blow to the neck or head of the passer,
(f) Contacting the passer if either the initial source of contact, or primary source of contact, is the defender's helmet.

Whether or not Bridge was inside the pocket is irrelevant, if it's a hit to the head, or even if the defender leads with their helmet - it's a penalty.

Source: https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017-CFL-Rule-Book-Final.pdf

It's on page 57.

Only if the official(s) can see it ;)

2 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Couple questions though. Why not use your challenge on the ticky-tack interference call in the end zone with about 2 min left? You know, the one that gifts the otherwise totally hapless sliders with their only TD of the night. Couldn't you have made the following points to the refs: a) receiver initiates contact b) receiver then clearly embellishes effect of contact and/or c) the ball was not catch-able. More to the point, what is the risk in using your challenge flag at that point? did you think there would be a better or more impactful candidate in the final 2 min? To not challenge at that juncture was basically to gift them the TD. A second good challenge candidate would have been the lateral that was called an incomplete pass. I understand wanting to avoid wasting your challenge, but to not use your challenge at all is a waste when there are high-reward candidates in the mix.

Finally, the only thing better than winning a playoff game? Doing it at Mosaic. In their first ever playoff game there. To send rider p** home for 6 more months of nothingness.

The rational would be on the interference was that the rule favours the offence and regardless of who contacted whom the end result was the receiver was prevented from having a shot at catching the ball. On the lateral, there was no reason to challenge at that point because it was a positive play for the D. If I were to choose though I would have challenged the lateral because that was clearly an easy win and would have made it second and a whole pile of yards.

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Bombers gave up 3 offensive touchdowns in 4 games against the Riders one from the one yard line. 

Yeah, almost made it through the game without having Gainer cruze around the stadium. Never understood why the Riders don't get a penalty for Gainer's siren going off while the play is going on.

6 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

The rational would be on the interference was that the rule favours the offence and regardless of who contacted whom the end result was the receiver was prevented from having a shot at catching the ball. On the lateral, there was no reason to challenge at that point because it was a positive play for the D. If I were to choose though I would have challenged the lateral because that was clearly an easy win and would have made it second and a whole pile of yards.

Good point, but you didn’t  address the fact that the throw was beyond receiver’s reach anyway. The reason he embellished was because he knew we did not have a shot at making the catch. I believe the referee has discretion to not a call a PI infraction if he judges that  the ball was not catchable. Or maybe it’s a infraction but just a 10 yarder and a first down. 

9 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Pretty simple answer to this one .. do you think Riders wish they had their challenge when Bridge got hit?

We could’ve been in that same situation. I don’t see the need to blow the challenge on a call they’re clearly not going to reverse.

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wilson actually played quite a bit.  I'll rewatch the game tomorrow but by my eye Wild didn't play many more snaps than he did with JSK in there as per the usual line-up, but he played more behind 40 fronts than usual as the Bombers didn't run much 30 front against the Rider run heavy O.

I noticed Wilson in there at times too, and it was usually in the trail position. Regardless, the dynamic duo of Wild/Wilson is hopefully back on the bench next Sunday. JSK is a difference maker.

What happened to Biggie???? I missed it...He seemed alright after that chase for the ball on that pass that was clearly a lateral...I know he made a stab at the ball before it went out of bounds...Did he get nic'd on that play????Not good news IF he can't go

Edited by Stickem

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

What happened to Biggie???? I missed it...He seemed alright after that chase for the ball on that pass that was clearly a lateral...I know he made a stab at the ball before it went out of bounds...Did he get nic'd on that play????Not good news IF he can't go

I was going to ask the same. I heard he didnt make it in on the last few plays but I didnt even notice. Also why was Nichols out most of the 4th? Not that I am complaining just wondering if he was hurt as well?

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Imagine the fact that come saturday that we could have a line backing crew missing Bighill...JSK...also Leggett all year basically...ouchers

Dear god. If that's the case the chances of leaving Calgary with a win would take a huge hit. Wrap them in bubble wrap and stick them in a hypobaric chamber for the next 6 days.

6 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I was going to ask the same. I heard he didnt make it in on the last few plays but I didnt even notice. Also why was Nichols out most of the 4th? Not that I am complaining just wondering if he was hurt as well?

My guess at the time was that they were going to keep the ball on the ground and grind it out....and trusted Big Chris for this role more.....

Streveler out there running out the clock on our last drive was purely strategic...and smart...Took the focus off Harris and would make the Rider defense have to play more respectful of 2 guys having the option to run...and it worked 

Streveler is elusive and quick...but also punishing when he runs..Kudos to the Bomber staff for this wrinkle....and again...what an o-line....they just basically powered their way down the field for the Harris score to basically seal the win

Man ... it's the morning after and I honestly woke up feeling the same way I did last night. I got home from work at about 9 PM after going stealth mode all day and not spoiling the results, and I watched the game on the PVR ... and honestly, I'm SO happy we beat the Riders and I'm so happy they have so many things to whine about all offseason in regards to how they could've, should've and would've. No Collaros, questionable Bridge hit, blah blah blah who cares, I absolutely love to see that fanbase get whooped in the playoffs and have zero answer.

All week long I had to listen to them throw out every ridiculous thought about "mind games" and how "they didn't even need a QB" and how we couldn't and wouldn't handle their world class defence. Forget about it. Our team dominated that game, score be damned (don't even get me started on the weak ass play calling inside the 35) and we did it in their stadium and ruined their first ever playoff game just like we ruined their first ever regular season game.

Good. Riders suck. Have fun whining the rest of the offseason away.

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sounds like Bighill aggravated his elbow.

Hopefully he can play Sunday.

Is he alive?... he'll play...

11 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Couple questions though. Why not use your challenge on the ticky-tack interference call in the end zone with about 2 min left? You know, the one that gifts the otherwise totally hapless sliders with their only TD of the night. Couldn't you have made the following points to the refs: a) receiver initiates contact b) receiver then clearly embellishes effect of contact and/or c) the ball was not catch-able.

I agree but you are missing another important point... the rule is supposed to be that both the defender and receiver have equal rights to make a play on the ball... Alexander was watching the ball and trying to make a play on it... if he was not looking back and just thew his arms in the air, then I agree, it's completely PI... but in this case both guys are making a play on the ball, there is minor incidental contact and one players flies to the ground... does anyone think there would've been an offensive PI call if it was Alexander throwing his arms in the arm and flailing to the ground like he had been shot? 

Edited by bearpants

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I agree but you are missing another important point... the rule is supposed to be that both the defender and receiver have equal rights to make a play on the ball... Alexander was watching the ball and trying to make a play on it... if he was not looking back and just thew his arms in the arm, then I agree, it's completely PI... but in this case both guys are making a play on the ball, there is minor incidental contact and one players flies to the ground... does anyone think there would've been an offensive PI call if it was Alexander throwing his arms in the arm and falling to the ground like he had been shot? 

Agree totally. Alexander had position and turned to run to the ball and the receiver just bounced off of him like he'd been shot. Weak weak call that gifted the Riders a TD.