Any snowmobilers in here ?

NorthernSkunk

So, a group of 7 Calgary snowmobilers were out in the mountains near Invermere, BC this past Saturday afternoon.  One of the snowmobilers went off the trails &  started to high mark on the mountain triggering an avalanche  that killed 2 of them. I wonder how he's feeling these days knowing he killed two buddies? Totally irresponsible. The entire Rockies have been on avalanche alert the past couple of weeks. shouldn't have been doing what he did. Every winter, a number of snowmobilers die in avalanches out here. 

5 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I hit some slush on a lake the other day... snowmobiling is a dangerous sport and not for the faint of heart.  As for your dead sledders...you said they went off trail into dangerous avalanche territory so it’s on all of them.  

High marking is when a rider goes up a steep mountain slope as far as he can & going back down without overturning or falling off his machine.  That's what that idiot did & it triggered an avalanche that swept the other 2 away. Update to the story below: The body of the missing rider was later found in a lake nearby by RCMP divers.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4844178/one-dead-another-missing-after-snowmobilers-trigger-avalanche-near-invermere/

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

High marking is when a rider goes up a steep mountain slope as far as he can & going back down without overturning or falling off his machine.  That's what that idiot did & it triggered an avalanche that swept the other 2 away.

I know exactly what high marking is..... my point is they left the trail and went where it is dangerous...... that is not the snowmobiles fault.... it's the people operating the sleds.... so it's all  on them. 

4 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I know exactly what high marking is..... my point is they left the trail and went where it is dangerous...... that is not the snowmobiles fault.... it's the people operating the sleds.... so it's all  on them. 

I never said it was the snowmobile's fault. It isn't alive. It's a machine. It was the asshat operating his that killed the other 2. Just a tragedy that never should have happened especially with all the avalanche warnings in Western AB & SE BC.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

13 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I had that conversation with my family in the mid nineties about the dangers of snowmobiling,  and why I do it.   

Snowmobiling in the Rockies & doing it in Manitoba are 2 different things but as you say it's a dangerous sport. But knowing something is  dangerous & being reckless are also two different things.  I think you know the difference.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Snowmobiling in the Rockies & doing it in Manitoba are 2 different things but as you say it's a dangerous sport. But knowing something is  dangerous & being reckless are also two different things.  I think you know the difference.

Yes it can be quite different between the two provinces.  We talked about it because we tried everything from grass drags to early sno-x and x-country racing,  even got to try ice ovals at an entry level.  So we all had to be aware of the dangers.  

Edited by NorthernSkunk

• 1 month later...