3 stars +hh regular season finale

wbbfan

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Was Streveler one of the top 3?   I thought he had a very up and down game.

You realize that Bennett played the 3rd quarter, right?

You have to look at who he was playing with too. No Adams, Dressler, Harris (After 3 plays) or Chungh. He turned several sure sacks into short gains and a couple into first downs. A couple of great deep balls to Washington and Simonise. Got us back in the game when he was put back in in the 4th. That's a good game for any QB, but a great game for a rookie.

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You realize that Bennett played the 3rd quarter, right?

You have to look at who he was playing with too. No Adams, Dressler, Harris (After 3 plays) or Chungh. He turned several sure sacks into short gains and a couple into first downs. A couple of great deep balls to Washington and Simonise. Got us back in the game when he was put back in in the 4th. That's a good game for any QB, but a great game for a rookie.

But... but.... he didn't have 300 yards...

49 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

But... but.... he didn't have 300 yards...

He got 190 in 3 quarters. Likely close to 300 if he played the whole game. Likely more than 300 if he had Adams, Dressler and Harris to throw to.

He also threw a good deep ball and ran well, two things that Nichols doesn't do well.

Edited by TBURGESS

22 hours ago, Mark F said:

I thought Nelson showed that he will be a really good player. too quick to cover, short sideline pass and run across the middle, can't catch him. pretty nasty special teams tackle.

couple of nice returns, with some power.

hh for him.

really enjoyed the game, except for a few sections where things lagged a bit. 

best babble room in a while too.

Nelson looked very shifty indeed, guy oozes danger when he handles the ball. Reminds me of keith stokes. I was close on him getting HH as well. 

22 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Augustine is not faster than Harris either.  He runs hard but he's a pretty marginal player and he's going to have to bring a lot more than running hard to stick.

He hits the hole deceptively quick and hard. It makes him seem like he is fast till you see him tackles 10-20 yards downfield. Not saying its a bad thing at all. Blink made a HOF career out of being lightning quick. Augustine obviously isnt blink quick but he is quick enough to stick around and be worth keeping around. If he takes the wade miller approach to teams he could make himself a very valuable guy with a long career. 

18 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Will they bring Couture back? Seems like a 6th OL at best.

I fully expect us to bring him back for camp next year. That said we will have a tough choice for next year. I could see speller taking coutures 6th man spot and I expect gray to win a starting job next year. 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I really believe that if he played the whole game Streveler would have won the game. Offense really got bogged down with Bennett in. 

No doubt in my mind of this. He was soo sharp with when to run, when to throw and when to toss it away. Ive never seen a QB who was soo dangerous running the ball, and also protected it first and foremost. I cant wait to see how far along he is in camp next year. 

6 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

There is going to be a competition for the #1 QB next season.  These next three games are big for Nichols. 😉

If we have a disappointing playoff finish I could see wade n walters selling the farm to get Reilly in free agency. If he was the starter for 18 games with us, we'd a won 14 games. 

38 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

No doubt in my mind of this. He was soo sharp with when to run, when to throw and when to toss it away. Ive never seen a QB who was soo dangerous running the ball, and also protected it first and foremost. I cant wait to see how far along he is in camp next year. 

If we have a disappointing playoff finish I could see wade n walters selling the farm to get Reilly in free agency. If he was the starter for 18 games with us, we'd a won 14 games. 

I can't see it, the CFL team that decides to pay $600,000 or more with bonuses to a single player is going to regret it in the long-run, robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It's a team game and there are too many other good players that need to be paid fairly for a team to achieve the status of contender.  Esks. missing the playoffs this year is a great example of what Reilly can achieve without enough help. 

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Reilly needs receivers who can make those contested catches deep downfield.  We'd have to upgrade our receivers. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Reilly needs receivers who can make those contested catches deep downfield.  We'd have to upgrade our receivers. 

we have those guys, Nichols and our offense doesn't time or lay in deep balls well at all. Overthrows, coming back past dbs and having to lay out is what you see on the majority of our deep shots.  We dont hit guys in stride well. 

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I can't see it, the CFL team that decides to pay $600,000 or more with bonuses to a single player is going to regret it in the long-run, robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It's a team game and there are too many other good players that need to be paid fairly for a team to achieve the status of contender.  Esks. missing the playoffs this year is a great example of what Reilly can achieve without enough help. 

weve seen a bunch of 500k range guys, and 400-450k is the going standard for a reasonable starter these days. Considering bonuses on top of that, it really isnt that huge of a jump.  The difference could also come from having less for when the PR expands, from guys like wild etc. Ogopogo would cover most of the distance etc. 

Yes he needs the guys and yes itll be tough to swing. But I would bet 6 or 7 teams offer him 500k+. And probably 3 over 550k. 

Did Reilly look like he wants to be back in Edmonton next season? His facial expressions & overall body language just looked like he was ready to check out. I saw him smile once while he was on the sidelines with the game under wraps. Of course for the 18th game his lousy OL allowed our defense to beat him up all game long so that may have had something to do with it. Maas was stupid enough to keep him in there.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did Reilly look like he wants to be back in Edmonton next season? His facial expressions & overall body language just looked like he was ready to check out. I saw him smile once while he was on the sidelines with the game under wraps. Of course for the 18th game his lousy OL allowed our defense to beat him up all game long so that may have had something to do with it. Maas was stupid enough to keep him in there.

Football may pay the bills but Reilly is more into hats these days, $500,000 pays for a lot of nice hats...

https://twitter.com/mikereillys_hat/media

10 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

He got 190 in 3 quarters. Likely close to 300 if he played the whole game. Likely more than 300 if he had Adams, Dressler and Harris to throw to.

He also threw a good deep ball and ran well, two things that Nichols doesn't do well.

Oh hell yes.  And with a chocolate scheme instead of vanilla - I'm sure he would've had 1000 yards. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The difference could also come from having less for when the PR expands, from guys like wild etc. Ogopogo would cover most of the distance etc. 

As much as I like those guys you're right, but where do we find the Dukes? 

22 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Like a contortionist, you twist yourself to fit what ever narrative you're trying to sell.