Place to watch / People to watch playoffs with in LA?

O2L

Hey friends, I'll be in Los Angeles for the east/west finals and the Grey Cup, and while I have an ESPN+ subscription which I watch most games on while I'm in the US, I'd really like to hang out with some other CFL (and ideally Bomber) fans while I watch. Does anyone know of a bar or lounge that would not only have the games on, but be celebrating them with ex-pats around? Are any of you in LA mid-late November?

I used to live in the SF Bay Area.  I went down to SoCal a lot for business.  Now I am in New Mexico.  

I wish I could make it out.  It's only a 2 hour flight from Albuquerque to LAX and the flights are pretty cheap on Southwest.  It would be great to fly out to meet you there.  Catch the game.  Party a little bit.  Then grab a boogie board and flippers the next day to go see what the waves look like off Manhattan Beach's pier.  Then drive the 5 miles to LAX and fly out.  Yes, I've had this weekend get away idea for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxWymKnePg

Howdy. Attached is the link for ESPN and the network of theirs that will be televising the playoff games. https://www.cfl.ca/watch-2018-cfl-broadcast-schedule#ESPN

Last year I watched the game In Palm Springs on a ESPN network in the lobby of our hotel. Only one other person had any kind of interest in the game, but I would describe it as his curiosity in passing rather than as a fan. We are mistook as University of Washington Alumni. The point being CFL fans are rare in California. 

Buffalo Wild Wings has always been very accommodating because they have so many televisions. I have confirmed with staff other games, rather networks, availability a day or two ahead. 

Had the Jets been scheduled to be in SoCal on any of the playoff dates, you would be able to find a cluster of Winnipeg fans near the hockey facility. 

Edited by Rod Black

3 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Howdy. Attached is the link for ESPN and the network of theirs that will be televising the playoff games. https://www.cfl.ca/watch-2018-cfl-broadcast-schedule#ESPN

Last year I watched the game In Palm Springs on a ESPN network in the lobby of our hotel. Only one other person had any kind of interest in the game, but I would describe it as his curiosity in passing rather than as a fan. The point being CFL fans are rare in California. 

Buffalo Wild Wings has always been very accommodating because they have so many televisions. I have confirmed with staff other games, rather networks, availability a day or two ahead. 

I have a BWW 10 miles from my house.  I will have to check them out... THANKS!

8 minutes ago, DougR said:

I used to live in the SF Bay Area.  I went down to SoCal a lot for business.  Now I am in New Mexico.  

I wish I could make it out.  It's only a 2 hour flight from Albuquerque to LAX and the flights are pretty cheap on Southwest.  It would be great to fly out to meet you there.  Catch the game.  Party a little bit.  Then grab a boogie board and flippers the next day to go see what the waves look like off Manhattan Beach's pier.  Then drive the 5 miles to LAX and fly out.  Yes, I've had this weekend get away idea for a while.

as did I...Small world eh? lol

10 minutes ago, DougR said:

Well I think this sounds like a perfect plan. Depending on the results Nov 11, you should very much come in for the western final (and Grey Cup)! Let me know if you decide to make the get away a reality!

8 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Last year I watched the game In Palm Springs on a ESPN network in the lobby of our hotel. Only one other person had any kind of interest in the game, but I would describe it as his curiosity in passing rather than as a fan. The point being CFL fans are rare in California. 

Had the Jets been scheduled to be in SoCal on any of the playoff dates, you would be able to find a cluster of Winnipeg fans near the hockey facility. 

Thanks for the info, I'll look into this as well. The key for me is that I'd really like to watch the games with other fans. It'll be very odd watching such important games alone. If we actually win the cup and I'm not home for the parade, that'll kill me.

Just now, Booch said:

as did I...Small world eh? lol

A very small world. 

I was raised in New Mexico but, spent 30 years in California.  Now, I bump into ex-Californians in New Mexico and we're like ex-Pats in another country...ha ha

You want to hear the good news?  I mean THE really good news? 😉  By 2020, the distribution center will be completed up in Colorado Springs.  At that time, In and Out will open their first restaurant in New Mexico!  GO BOMBERS!!!!

1 minute ago, O2L said:

Well I think this sounds like a perfect plan. Depending on the results Nov 11, you should very much come in for the western final (and Grey Cup)! Let me know if you decide to make the get away a reality!

Thanks for the info, I'll look into this as well. The key for me is that I'd really like to watch the games with other fans. It'll be very odd watching such important games alone. If we actually win the cup and I'm not home for the parade, that'll kill me.

Understood.  

I just checked and the Winnipeg game is Nov 11th at 2:30 Mountain.  The BWW I can go to will be packed with NFL fans but, I think I can wing something and get the game on a small TV.  It's either that or listen to it on the radio online.

Just now, Booch said:

haha..I do miss that up here in Canada...as well as Crispy Creme and Sonic

Dude!  I have a Sonic in my little town of Belen and love them.  Crispy Creme is good but, Dunkin is the mainstay around here and a local place called Donut Mart.  

Where are you flying into when down in LA?  LAX or Orange County or Burbank?  If flying into LAX, there is a killer donut place.  You can't miss the gigantic donut on top of the building as you fly in if you have a window seat looking onto the north side of the runway.  Randy's Donuts - Inglewood 805 W Manchester Blvd, Inglewood, CA 90301.

1 hour ago, O2L said:

Hey friends, I'll be in Los Angeles for the east/west finals and the Grey Cup, and while I have an ESPN+ subscription which I watch most games on while I'm in the US, I'd really like to hang out with some other CFL (and ideally Bomber) fans while I watch. Does anyone know of a bar or lounge that would not only have the games on, but be celebrating them with ex-pats around? Are any of you in LA mid-late November?

I will find out later today but, I am hoping my local American Legion Post (2 miles from the house here in Belen, New Mexico) gets ESPN2.  That is the channel that will run the Western Semi Finals.  And it will also run the Grey Cup later on - FYI.

If my Post has that channel, I am throwing a party.  It will be a novelty for the NFL fans there to see a CFL game.  I'll bring food and host a blue and gold party. 😉 

GO BOMBERS!