Who would we rather?

jazzsax

yeah I think those guys were more nicked than hurt...also..we scored pretty much the same amount of points against those playing on defense...and that was before Nichols was  back to himself..healthy...and Harris was a bit knicked then as well...That CGY offence tho even with the new receivers can still be lethal, and may have Grant in there as well who has history with BLM...I'd rather face a shitty Rider offense in a semi final with good chance to get to West Final then the potential of facing a CGY offense that could catch fire and light us up and not even get a chance to get to the final...again

Calgary’s defence or offence is just a likely to catch fire in the semi than they would in the final. I get that we can’t win the final if we’re not playing in the game but whether we think their genuinely hurt or just banged up, it’s mind blowing to me that we wouldn’t rather the team with more significant injuries first. The Riders lineup will be more or less the same whether we play them first or second. 

but injuries or not..Calgary is the better...more complete team...I'd rather face them rolling into McMahon on a 6 game heater after we dispose of the Esks this weekend..also Glass Man Collaros if he truly did get concussed...may not be totally good to go...and if Jones is the guy I think he is will play him anyway and he is one good shot from being out again..or if anyting playing gunshy and happy feet...and if he gets knocked out early it will deflate them as a whole...

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

In that case, wouldn’t we want to face the beat up team coming off three straight losses? Despite their loss to us, Sask has won more games recently than Calgary has. 

Why are you so bloody worried about who we're going to have to play?  We're better than the both of them, so who gives a flying rat's ass.  Personally, I'd like the Rider's first because I'd really like to shut them down in their own stadium and never let them see the finals.  But if it ends up being Calgary first that's fine too.  Have a little faith in your team, man...

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Why are you so bloody worried about who we're going to have to play?  We're better than the both of them, so who gives a flying rat's ass.  Personally, I'd like the Rider's first because I'd really like to shut them down in their own stadium and never let them see the finals.  But if it ends up being Calgary first that's fine too.  Have a little faith in your team, man...

Because that’s the topic of the thread, pal. 

We're gonna have to beat both teams anyways so the question is WHEN do you want to face them.

If Calgary wins this weekend, they're finishing the year on a high note and then they get the bye and we face them in the West final. We would have to beat Sask in the semi final when they are coming off a bye as well.

Alternatively Calgary loses this weekend and we face them next week on a four game losing streak. And Sask would be coming off a weird two-week bye in the West final.

I think I would prefer Calgary in the semi-final.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

So, it’s unanimous...we want Saskalgary!

No, we want Calgatchewan.

Damn you, Dee. I've had that stupid song stuck in my head all friggin' day, and don't pretend you don't know which one. 

Factors to consider:

Rust vs. rest - would rather face a team coming off either no bye or a 2 week bye rather than 1 week, so Calgary first, the Sask. One week off allows rest,  two weeks off could lead to rust.

Injuries - don't want to give players time to heal, so Calgary first UNLESS Collaros is questionable to play by the semi but healed enough to play the Final, if that's the case Sask. first.

Other team looking ahead past the Bombers - Sask. (and their fans especially) see Calgary as their big rival (moreso than Winnipeg, since they want to take down the top dog) and believe they have Calgary's number in the playoffs at McMahon, so they may be thinking too far ahead to the west Final rather than the task at hand. But if they were in the West Final automatically, then they'd simply be focussed on a home win to get to the Cup. Likewise, Calgary has had 2 years of Grey Cup heartbreak and probably feel like they let both games get away that they should have won. Their mindset all year is Win the Cup or Bust, so possible they may forget that you have to get there first. If they have to slog through a semi-final match first, may be more focussed on the journey of 3 steps rather than the destination, whereas if they host the Final they too may be looking ahead past that play-in game, so this favours us playing Sask. first., if you but in to this theory

Momentum - Bombers could argue that they could/should have beaten Sask. in all 3 games, so can be more confident playing them than a Calgary squad that handled us fairly well at McMahon this year and have had our number more often than not in the past few years. So if you believe in carrying momentum into a game (O'Shea does not, BTW), then playing Sask. first sets us up for that.

Final analysis - Unless Collaros can't play in 2 weeks but could in 3, I'd take Calgary first as they are more wounded and a week off would only help them physically and moreso mentally (witness our reset after our second bye week).

20 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I want to face Edmonton and get thru the game with no injuries....

stay on your couch or in your favourite chair for the whole game..... have your significant other fetch anything you need during the game.  Just this should be enough to keep you safe during the game.