Fogg

SPuDS

He makes me gnash my teeth.  I hate to be critical of anything really from last game as we came out and did what we needed to do but his coverage for 3 quarters and his punt returns for the most part were pretty suspect..

Am I nitpicking or is this a legit concern..

Outside of his performance in Edmonton a few weeks back, he's been pretty lousy on the corner. He seems out of place more often than not and gets beaten easily at times.

As for his ST work, I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass. No one returner seems to be getting blocks on a consistent basis this season. It's troubling.

The ol' catch and head for the turf on or about the 25 yd. line was quite evident again last night...Fogg is not a great returner but he does hold on to the ball...It sure would be nice to have our offence start on the 40 yd. line once in awhile instead of buried deep in our end,,,We need that in the playoffs or it'll cost us

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The ol' catch and head for the turf on or about the 25 yd. line was quite evident again last night...Fogg is not a great returner but he does hold on to the ball...It sure would be nice to have our offence start on the 40 yd. line once in awhile instead of buried deep in our end,,,We need that in the playoffs or it'll cost us

False narrative.  Between defense and special teams the Bombers continue to have the best starting field position in the league, and have since 2016.  The offense has started more often on the opposition side of the field than any other team.  A huge reason for the number in the “PF” column.

And Fogg has a huge role in this for his return work and the turnovers he creates on D.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

30 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Didn't Fogg have several returns for touchdowns last season? 

Maybe there are other problems with the returns.

Yes, but almost all of them were called back due to special teams penalties... his 2017 punt return and kick return statistics are below. To give it some context, I've put the league-wide average for kick/punt return for the 2018 year, up to week 19 in bold after his numbers.

Punt return stats:
Punt returns: 67 (709 league-wide)
Yards off punt returns: 775 (average of 11.6 per return), 7,207, average of 10.2 per return
Longest punt return: 88 yards (102 yards)
Punt return TDs: 1 (1.49% chance of a TD) (11 on 709 attempts or 1.55% chance of a TD)

Kick return stats:
Kick returns: 3 (573 league-wide)
Yards off kick returns: 56 (average of 18.7 per return), (12,365, average of 21.6 per return)
Longest kick return: 20 yards (104 yards)
Kick return TDs 0 (0.00% of a TD) (3 on 573 attempts, or 0.5% chance)

I think the biggest problem for Fogg is his height - even on that Chris Matthews bomb, he was still somewhat in a position to make a play, but the fact Matthews is about a foot taller on him he might as well have been in the stands watching the play.

on that deep ball to Matthews, especially when they showed the replay on the screen with an angle from field level on the sideline.... it honestly looked like a father playing football with his 12 year old son.  "here kid, try and cover me"  he looked a foot taller from that angle! haha

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

False narrative.  Between defense and special teams the Bombers continue to have the best starting field position in the league, and have since 2016.  The offense has started more often on the opposition side of the field than any other team.  A huge reason for the number in the “PF” column.

And Fogg has a huge role in this for his return work and the turnovers he creates on D.

Maybe I'm watching a different team than you are and I have a pretty good memory....The beginning of the game was typical 'catch and go nowhere'...When Cal. got the ball that Morris kid ripped  off a couple of times  runs to the 40 or better...I don't remember us having a return of 'note all night...I question your facts about us having the best field position in the league on returns... and I'll call bull$hit on that and not false narrative

Edited by Stickem

He’s not wrong. We’ve had the best field position to start drives in the league. This somewhat explains Nichol’s low passing yardage as the field was shorter. 

But last night was the opposite. We lost the field advantage as their return game was better than ours and the net punting was in Calgary’s favour also.

Fogg has been alright..the long Matthew's play was a perfect place pass..Fogg had great coverage and just missed deflecting it away by an inch or two..cant blame him there..not sure any corner could have covered it better against a 6'5" guy who's specialty is that play...if anything I'd put blame on Hecht for being late recognizing that's where he should have been..and fact he is about 5'-8" tall didnt help.

But for whatever reason our return game is really hurting us..kick return guys are actually embarrassing..and on punt returns Fogg is pretty much smothered the instant he gets the ball..not much more he can do other than secure the ball and get any positive yardage..its scheme and foot soldiers that are failing.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Hard to do anything with a punt return when the first thing you see when you look up field are 4 jerseys that don't belong to your team. Fogg can make people miss, but not 4 at once, all the time. The blocking has been complete **** on punt returns this year for some reason.

Completely agree.  And I have no idea why.  Kickoff returns have been abysmal.  We could have Gizmo in his prime back there and we would still be starting at the 25 yard line.

1 hour ago, MC said:

Completely agree.  And I have no idea why.  Kickoff returns have been abysmal.  We could have Gizmo in his prime back there and we would still be starting at the 25 yard line.

At least we aren't getting a lot of holding penalties. In past years it has seemed that the refs have called holding/blocking from the rear on every punt play.

Blocking is a huge part of kick returns. Pretty confident there's not many of us here that would trade places with Kevin and try to field punts. Personally, I like what he does on punt return...he catches the ball, makes the first guy or two miss virtually every time, and gets what he can. I think this whole thread is barking up the wrong tree.