Game Day Thread- Week Twenty, GAME 17: Calgary @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers October 13th, 20126

Re: the disputed call at the goal line: in real time it looked like he didn't survive contact, so I understand the original call.

In ultra-slow-mo it looked like: a) the ball contacts receiver's hands and he has not yet breached the plane of the goal line b) as he breaches the plane he is still moving the ball (i.e. ball is not yet fully secured and in control) c) the defender now makes contact with the receiver, pushing him back out of the end zone (i.e. still before receiver has fully brought ball under control) d) as he goes to the ground, he now appears to secure control BUT...he is no longer in the score area e) the defender then rips the ball out a split second after the receiver is on the ground.

So, to sum up: the Calgary receiver never had full control of the ball while in the score zone PLUS there was not definitive, conclusive evidence to overrule the ruling on the field (which is the threshold required in order to overrule). Conclusion: that was not a touchdown, correct call made, both initially and in the video replay.

No more Reilly deep balls. No more flukey catches. No more Williams. No more Hazelton. No more Walker may be back for the playoffs. No more beating up the Gatorade by Maas. No more throwing his headset. Esks… Gone. Gone. Gone.  I love it. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, TheBandit said:

Don’t know why people are so pumped about Demski. His is a below average player.

Hes a very good hybrid back who has a knack for trying too hard and it costing him.. oshea is on him constantly to lock it down when he goes for the extra yards.. it will either sink in or it wont but his benefits far outweigh his negatives imo..

Plus hes a winnipeg boy. Gotta love that.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Heard O'Shea saying "sorry we couldn't get to you" to Streveler just before his live mic was cut. O'Sh wants to get Streveler reps but he wants to win games even more. Have to respect that.

I heard that too and thought the same.. very refreshing to see a sign that he is interested in trying to get the kid reps contrary to popular belief..

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Bighill.....  he's the best D player in the league.

By far.. singletons got the tackles but Biggie does everything AND has a huge pile of tackles..

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

TSN understands the ball needs to break the plane tho right cuz it didnt on Rodgers non catch. 

Thought the same thing..  why are TSN and Calgary getting all crazy for.. it wasnt even a TD.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Rodgers also never fully had possession. If you watch the replay you can see he never had control

Yup he didnt tuck or survive contact from the DB..

3 hours ago, TheBandit said:

Don’t know why people are so pumped about Demski. His is a below average player.

Yeah, who would want an offensive player who can contribute in the running and passing game, as well as the return game? Oh and who is a national. I mean I guess when your club has no national players on offense who contribute you forget their value.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Yeah, who would want an offensive player who can contribute in the running and passing game, as well as the return game? Oh and who is a national. I mean I guess when your club has no national players on offense who contribute you forget their value.

Bitter Demski came home? Lol. Only reason why I can see him hating on the guy..

Huge win and was it just me or was this almost a trap game in sheep’s clothing?  Calgary has looked lost and on the decline (both sides of the ball actually) for a little while now.  So on the one hand they come in snarly... while the Bombers are off a 4 game win streak, and a bye week to soak in that feeling where everything was going right.  

Flat/tight in the 1st quarter but you could see everyone start to wake up and come alive midway through the 2nd.  I thought that if the Bombers could just keep it a one possession game, then they’d have a chance to gain all the momentum.

Best 3rd quarter all season and what a game to watch!  Soooo happy to see the Bombers put it all together in a meaningful, hyped up game in front of the hometown crowd.

3 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Huge win and was it just me or was this almost a trap game in sheep’s clothing?  Calgary has looked lost and on the decline (both sides of the ball actually) for a little while now.  So on the one hand they come in snarly... while the Bombers are off a 4 game win streak, and a bye week to soak in that feeling where everything was going right.  

Flat/tight in the 1st quarter but you could see everyone start to wake up and come alive midway through the 2nd.  I thought that if the Bombers could just keep it a one possession game, then they’d have a chance to gain all the momentum.

Best 3rd quarter all season and what a game to watch!  Soooo happy to see the Bombers put it all together in a meaningful, hyped up game in front of the hometown crowd.

Trap games don't exist against Calgary...

I can understand why it was such a hard call to make, but yeah I’m not complaining either.

Thought this mic’d up game once again showed the vastly different character of each coach.

Dickenson: screaming at the refs “he can’t do that! Hey he can’t do that!”

O’shea: to his players “go get it - you go get it”

What a game. The third quarter was maybe one of the most entertaining quarters by this team all season.

Oh, and anyone saying Demski is bad or below average is just being irrational, overactive and/or salty. His fumble stunk but one play doesn't define a player.

Just now, Floyd said:

Trap games don't exist against Calgary...

Well yeah I know this - but many pundits/fans really spent a lot of time pointing out why the Bombers would win handily.  In reality it was a hard fought win with both teams giving it everything.  Our guys were just flat out better today!

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What a game. The third quarter was maybe one of the most entertaining quarters by this team all season.

Oh, and anyone saying Demski is bad or below average is just being irrational, overactive and/or salty. His fumble stunk but one play doesn't define a player.

He REALLY does have to learn when its time to just secure the ball and take the tackle or head out of bounds...  he played well but was kind of scary tonight

I still think its crazy that Wolitarsky is not playing the inside...  Field receiver with over 600 yards - pretty impressive

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I can’t believe how long the third quarter lasted.  Now you have mentioned it, the quarter was truly impressive. Fog rolling in, Bombers rolling up points. Players enduring with snapped digits. Defence smothering the favoured opponents. Classic. A game to remember. 

Edited by Rod Black

30 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Of course saying he’s extremely bad is an exaggeration but his tendency to go sideways instead of forward is frustrating and rarely results in a positive play. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Stamps radio crew adamant Rodgers did have control & survived contact. even though he didn't have control according to the officials who kept yelling that at Dickenson. The radio crew is being biased as they would have heard the official yelling as the host was back in Calgary watching on television..  The host kept saying the only way the call would be upheld is if the officials didn't think Rodgers had control of the ball knowing darn well that is what the officials were saying to Dave Dickenson.  He was trying to look like a football expert by saying that & not being forthcoming. The radio crew in Winnipeg wouldn't have known what the officials were saying that so they kept saying he had control. The host Jock Wilson is one of those sports on air smart ass commentators.  Didn't surprise me he'd say that & not tell the football announcers at IGF what was being said. 

I thought it was a TD. We still would have won.

27 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Rogers clearly did not have control, nor did he survive contact and anyone who says otherwise is either blind or doesn’t understand the rules of football. 

So all 3 members of the TSN panel, who unanimously agreed it should’ve been a TD, don’t understand the rules of football? 

5 minutes ago, Scorch said:

So all 3 members of the TSN panel, who unanimously agreed it should’ve been a TD, don’t understand the rules of football? 

The refs kept telling Dickenson that Rodgers didn't have control & there wasn't enough video evidence to overturn it.  As far as the talking heads at TSN< they really don't. Suitor just mumbles while rambling on saying that he disagrees with the CC's decision which he always does. 

2 hours ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

I can understand why it was such a hard call to make, but yeah I’m not complaining either.

Thought this mic’d up game once again showed the vastly different character of each coach.

Dickenson: screaming at the refs “he can’t do that! Hey he can’t do that!”

O’shea: to his players “go get it - you go get it”

yet most on here want O'Shea gone based on the last few months.....