Winnipeg Ice

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
25 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Really unfortunate that the business side of things is in such disarray as the team on the ice is having so much success.

The lack of an arena is particularly challenging. Also, was the organization actually fined? Neither the Ice nor the WHL confirmed anything back in December when it was first reported by the WFP.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Really unfortunate that the business side of things is in such disarray as the team on the ice is having so much success.

The lack of an arena is particularly challenging. Also, was the organization actually fined? Neither the Ice nor the WHL confirmed anything back in December when it was first reported by the WFP.

They denied the claim. 

A mess all around. It's really too bad they couldn't get an arena built. 

Edited by JCon
Spelling is hard.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

They denied the claim. 

IIRC, the WFP had to issue a retraction on that claim...? Not a good look.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

A mess all around. It's really too bad they couldn't get an arena built. 

Indeed. I think the pandemic really did a number on their aspirations for this WHL franchise.

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

IIRC, the WFP had to issue a retraction on that claim...? Not a good look.

Indeed. I think the pandemic really did a number on their aspirations for this WHL franchise.

Terrible timing. However, they made lots of promises and were never able to fulfill them. Feels like they should have been closer to shovels in the ground before moving the team. 

I never renewed my tickets. I couldn't justify it with my kids' busy schedule and my chauffeur/cat herding duties. 

That article... by Paul Friesen. Why is it Winnipeg's fault if the ownership is underfunded & don't have the money to build a proper arena? Sell the team to other investors who will get a building an arena done. If they move the team from a market of 750,000 to Wenatchee, WA with a population of 35,000 that's on ownership. Not the City of Winnipeg. Why can't they play at Canada Life Centre like the Hitmen do in Calgary? Maybe True North should buy them.

On 2023-02-15 at 4:35 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

That article... by Paul Friesen. Why is it Winnipeg's fault if the ownership is underfunded & don't have the money to build a proper arena? Sell the team to other investors who will get a building an arena done. If they move the team from a market of 750,000 to Wenatchee, WA with a population of 35,000 that's on ownership. Not the City of Winnipeg. Why can't they play at Canada Life Centre like the Hitmen do in Calgary? Maybe True North should buy them.

As far as I can recall, True North has a deal with the city that really limits competition in regards to others building arenas inside the Perimeter and hosting large events.  Tried to look for old sources of the info, but am coming up empty.

Weird, because the Ice have at least a couple of Heisinger's kids on staff.

25 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

As far as I can recall, True North has a deal with the city that really limits competition in regards to others building arenas inside the Perimeter and hosting large events.  Tried to look for old sources of the info, but am coming up empty.

The Ice would be better off under the umbrella of True North. They know hockey. They could fit the Ice into Canada Life Centre if the Flames can do the same at the Saddledome. The busier the arena, the better. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

30 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Yeah- they buried the **** out of it... IIRC, it was a 50 year agreement- hence why there is no roof on IG field. 

I can't find any info on that anymore...

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

11 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Yeah- they buried the **** out of it... IIRC, it was a 50 year agreement- hence why there is no roof on IG field. 

I can't find any info on that anymore...

The only thing that I could find that it was a 25 year deal on the tax breaks.  Not sure if that included the non-competition clause.

The Ice could build a suitable arena. They had a plan to do so out by the Costco on McGilvarey. It was an ideal place. 

True North is not interested in minor hockey, as far as I can tell. They can't buy everyone and I don't want them owning more hockey teams in the city. 

I don't think the UofM really wants another 5k seat arena on the land. You wouldn't be able to fit it between St Paul's and the stadium. You would need to tear down Max Bell. So many complications. 

At one point true North did a feasibility study about owning an operating a whl team and came to the conclusion they weren't interested. 

Ppl who are sort of putting this on true North are ridiculous.  This is on the ice owners for not getting that arena out near ikea not built. That was their intention b4 covid hit. They knew that when they moved them here. Needed a new arena 

Edited by Goalie