Winnipeg Ice

• 4 weeks later...

I have to wonder if they're thinking of moving the Moose? It wasn't initially meant to be a long term solution but I'm not certain their minds have changed. I could see True North look to expand their brand to Stoon. 

I would be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I have to wonder if they're thinking of moving the Moose? It wasn't initially meant to be a long term solution but I'm not certain their minds have changed. I could see True North look to expand their brand to Stoon. 

I would be disappointed. 

Wouls Saskatoon want them? The Blades have been there for decades. The place isn't big enough for both, 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-10-21 at 7:49 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

When this debate came up a few years ago before the Jets moved the moose back here, the chatter seemed to be that people would be more supportive of a WHL franchise than AHL. 

The Jets moving back is a significant factor.    Prior to Jets 2.0, I tried to be a Moose fan, but got thrown off by the call-ups to the NHL.   Seemed like it was a forgone conclusion that you would lose your top scorer, best defenceman, and your goalie to the parent club.     I had no allegiance to the Vancouver Canucks, so it was like you were losing your top talent as the playoffs approached.    Now I see  it differently, as I'm a Jets fan, so my perspective is different.     Back then I was one of the people who wanted a WHL club instead of the   IHL-AHL team.    Now I see the Moose as an affordable way to watch the future Jets.

1 hour ago, Jaxon said:

The Jets moving back is a significant factor.    Prior to Jets 2.0, I tried to be a Moose fan, but got thrown off by the call-ups to the NHL.   Seemed like it was a forgone conclusion that you would lose your top scorer, best defenceman, and your goalie to the parent club.     I had no allegiance to the Vancouver Canucks, so it was like you were losing your top talent as the playoffs approached.    Now I see  it differently, as I'm a Jets fan, so my perspective is different.     Back then I was one of the people who wanted a WHL club instead of the   IHL-AHL team.    Now I see the Moose as an affordable way to watch the future Jets.

Those are great points and, I believe, why it's been so successful. 

But Jeff Hamilton was making the point the other day, that a WHL team could add a lot of local talent and really cut into the Moose market. He made a compelling case of how much cheaper it will be (cheaper tickets, cheaper parking, cheaper concessions), while still providing an exciting, fun experience for all ages of hockey fans. 

I'm buying into his theory that this pushes the AHL out of the market, as a more affordable option for families. 

Edited by JCon

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Those are great points and, I believe, why it's been so successful. 

But, Jeff Hamilton, was making the point the other day, that a WHL team could add a lot of local talent and really cut into the Moose market. He made a compelling case of how much cheaper it will be (cheaper tickets, cheaper parking, cheaper concessions), while still providing an exciting, fun experience for all ages of hockey fans. 

I'm buying into his theory that this pushes the AHL out of the market, as a more affordable option for families. 

There are rumors the Moose would move to this new arena as well.  I dont see it.  Not sure why TN would pay rent somewhere else unless they are partners in the WHL deal and its been kept hush hush.

The Jets could move the Moose if the revenue and convenience is not as valuable as what they could do with the available dates.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I personally would choose the Dub over A, if it was me.....I'm a believer that a Dub team is more detrimental to the A than the other way around.

I'm strongly considering buying season tickets to the Dub. I can afford to take both of my boys with the cheap tickets and free (or really cheap) parking. Right now, that's almost $80 (maybe more) for me and my boys, including snacks, tickets and parking to a Moose game. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, iHeart said:

Holy smokes is there a lot to unpack on that story.  Since it’s a paywall I don’t want to just paste the whole article. But some notes:

Mike keane is involved as the WHL group will partner with The Rink Hockey Academy and they want the new 4000 seat arena and retail development to be in the same area  

They will also buy the Winnipeg Blues. 

No public money. 

Will play two years at U of M. 

Highlighting the project is an event centre where the Ice will play. The arena complex is expected to have about 4,000 seats. One source who had seen early renderings of the arena said the architecture of the proposed building resembles a huge snowdrift.

Once the transfer of the team is finally announced, a season-ticket drive will begin asking for a small deposit. Ticket prices for WHL games would range from $15 for standing-room tickets to $35 for premium seats. Various ticket packages will also be available.