Riders @ Stampeders

USABomberfan

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Baby Boomer. We were always told we could be whoever we wanted to be. That with a little hard work & sacrifice we could live the lifestyle we wanted.  The land of opportunity. 

Yeah retire at 50 and livin the dream I seem to remember....Mind you it's a distant memory now but I guess it was better in our day (boomers) than the guys who are dreamin about it now...At least we had a shot

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

There is a distinct group between Gen-X and Millenials. **** any of you who try and label me as a millenial. 

There is definitely a sort of pre-millennial post-Gen X generation that gets unduly rolled in with others. 80-85ish births are unique in having an analog youth and digital adolesence and adulthood. Pioneers in a lot of ways. We might be the last generation to play outdoors, Pokemon Go notwithstanding 

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

There is definitely a sort of pre-millennial post-Gen X generation that gets unduly rolled in with others. 80-85ish births are unique in having an analog youth and digital adolesence and adulthood. Pioneers in a lot of ways. We might be the last generation to play outdoors, Pokemon Go notwithstanding 

You're not special, millennial, despite what your ribbon says. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Yeah retire at 50 and livin the dream I seem to remember....Mind you it's a distant memory now but I guess it was better in our day (boomers) than the guys who are dreamin about it now...At least we had a shot

Appreciate this post 

sincerely,

a millennial 

3 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Appreciate this post 

sincerely,

a millennial 

You can retire from you fifth company at 50. That leaves you only 35 years to go until you can retire from work altogether. 

A tip: Have lots of kids. It may hurt the pocket book now but it will provide many places to live in the future. One of them is bound to appreciate your hard work and provide you a room in the basement. 

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

I won't be retiring until I'm 68. Paying off all my debts so I can retire debt free then. I cancelled my credit cards & paying them off.  I have a LOC I want to close at zero. My car is paid off as of the end of May. It will be my last vehicle I ever buy from a dealer financed. Done with all of that. I know too many people who retire with debt & have problems.  I also know some who retired in their 50's & started another career & work more now than the job they had when they retired.  All that stress. Why?? 

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I won't be retiring until I'm 68. Paying off all my debts so I can retire debt free then. I cancelled my credit cards & paying them off.  I have a LOC I want to close at zero. My car is paid off as of the end of May. It will be my last vehicle I ever buy from a dealer financed. Done with all of that. I know too many people who retire with debt & have problems.  I also know some who retired in their 50's & started another career & work more now than the job they had when they retired.  All that stress. Why?? 

I still don't get why people live like this. I carry a mortgage (with a good chunk of equity), and an LOC for an emergency. Charge everything to my cards and pay it off in full every month. Agressively paying down the mortgage and choosing not to have all the toys now (buy a car 2-3 years old instead of new so someone else can pay the depreciation), then drive it into the ground.

Easiest way to retire is have no mortgage. By the time you've paid off your mortgage your housing costs are dirt cheap --- utilities / insurance and maybe property tax, which honestly a small pension can cover. Even if you work part time, you can survive on way less than normal. 

We're in an age though where everyone wants instant gratification. $1000 cell phones and $100 plans. $90 internet. Come on... find the cheaper route and make it work and then live like a hog when everyone is struggling to retire.

2 hours ago, jazzsax said:

I still don't get why people live like this. I carry a mortgage (with a good chunk of equity), and an LOC for an emergency. Charge everything to my cards and pay it off in full every month. Agressively paying down the mortgage and choosing not to have all the toys now (buy a car 2-3 years old instead of new so someone else can pay the depreciation), then drive it into the ground.

Easiest way to retire is have no mortgage. By the time you've paid off your mortgage your housing costs are dirt cheap --- utilities / insurance and maybe property tax, which honestly a small pension can cover. Even if you work part time, you can survive on way less than normal. 

We're in an age though where everyone wants instant gratification. $1000 cell phones and $100 plans. $90 internet. Come on... find the cheaper route and make it work and then live like a hog when everyone is struggling to retire.

This is the way to go, and we have been doing this for some time. Our credit card gives us 2% rebate and another 2% at Costco gas bar. Our cell phones are through Zoomer Wireless and we get both for $50.00 per month (new LG cellphone every two years) with lotsa data, prime-time calling and other perks. Plus they throw in free membership in CARP. 

Like I said, I'm clearing off all my debts because now I can. I no longer need a LOC, my house is nearly paid off.  My  car is paid off, & I don't want to buy another one. Both my sons are married. Now, I just want to be able to retire debt free. Live off my pension, CPP/OAS & RRSP's when the time comes.

Your criticism of people in debt while noble, doesn't speak to the reality of where most people are at money wise. People need credit because everything is expensive. Not too many people have the spare cash to buy even a decent used car let alone a new one. In some cities like Vancouver & Toronto the dream of home ownership is... just that... a dream. We are taxed to the hilt & more by greedy governments. people are just getting by. Now we have to deal with Trudeau's carbon tax. So, jazzsax maybe you make the kind of $$$ that allow you to do the things you want to do. Most don't.  Also, I've found thru my life experience that things change in peoples lives. Sometimes very quickly health & finance wise. You're laying in the tall grass one year & putting out brush fires the next. 

5 minutes ago, jazzsax said:

I retired at the age of fifty owning my own home.  I do owe 6 months on my 0% interest Camaro loan, but that was planned and has been a blast for traveling.  Zero other debt.  Have a LOC that I haven't used in over twenty years.  Man,  I should talk the wife into flying down for the Calgary game Friday night.......

59 minutes ago, jazzsax said:

That is great advice, provided you don't die before you retire. :)

I know many people between 20 - 40 who merely feel entitled to going on vacations and overspending on big houses because they believe that it's impossible to not have the biggest and the best....   I also see some of the folks closer to 40 and co-signing on loans for their 18 year old kids on 50 000 dollar cars despite working minimum wage jobs...

59 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

I plan on retiring when I'm 75...no joke.

Man, this thread has run a teeny weeny bit off topic.

Off topic is what happens when we go into football withdrawal when a bye occurs....But speaking on the off topic...I see a problem this generation and the one just after the boomers has, it's with credit...When I was in high school it was preached over and over again that if you don't have the cash...you don't buy it...Mind you saving was at least 'possible' in those days...I remember when I bought my first car with money I stuck away in a credit union account with my part time job...I know those days disappeared and  credit became readily available....and along with that the interest rate bonanza...I hate credit but I have to admit I did have a mortgage and to buy a house...even in my day...you needed a bank mortgage....Now it's on cars right down to the fridge in your house...clothing and beyond...I wished the young people today would 'try' to save and not be so willing to flash the credit card..Maybe it's got to the point where it's impossible to save now..and if that's the case this society sure as hell as regressed since my day