Riders’ Charleston Hughes charged with impaired driving

Deiter Fan

Okay, I'm probably going to get roasted badly for saying this, but why is this even news? People screw up in their lives all the time. Some worse than others. We all know people that have done way worse things. Some of us have done way worse things. Be honest. Have you ever driven a little buzzed? It doesn't make the news. If he were a rock star people would just laugh and say, those crazy rockers. Same if he was a movie star. But because he's an athlete he gets humiliated publicly and we're all going to wag our fingers and convict him in the court of public opinion? Frankly, I couldn't care less. He got loaded and drove his truck. Cops found him passed out behind the wheel. He refused a breathalyzer. Not making excuses for the guy but who knows what's going on in his life? I don't know what it's like to be him. He's going to be dealt with by a judge, a real judge, and it's not going to be a slap on the wrist. I trust the legal system will do it's thing, that's what it's there for. Good enough for me. Are we a bunch of gossiping old grannies or football fans? Let's get back to talking about football.

lucy-names-good-or-bad-peanuts-comic.jpg

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah....most likely Dunk and Walters set Hughes up...that seems to be their response to most things...what an idiotic fan base

What more do you want?  Should the Riders cut him today?  Jones gets slagged pretty hard by you guys. He is sitting one of his best players for a huge game because its the right thing to do, and its still not enough?

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Okay, I'm probably going to get roasted badly for saying this, but why is this even news? People screw up in their lives all the time. Some worse than others. We all know people that have done way worse things. Some of us have done way worse things. Be honest. Have you ever driven a little buzzed? It doesn't make the news. If he were a rock star people would just laugh and say, those crazy rockers. Same if he was a movie star. But because he's an athlete he gets humiliated publicly and we're all going to wag our fingers and convict him in the court of public opinion? Frankly, I couldn't care less. He got loaded and drove his truck. Cops found him passed out behind the wheel. He refused a breathalyzer. Not making excuses for the guy but who knows what's going on in his life? I don't know what it's like to be him. He's going to be dealt with by a judge, a real judge, and it's not going to be a slap on the wrist. I trust the legal system will do it's thing, that's what it's there for. Good enough for me. Are we a bunch of gossiping old grannies or football fans? Let's get back to talking about football.

Man you just don't get the seriousness of this...maybe if you had lost someone...or almost lost (such as myself) you may feel different...and just because others have done/do it...does that make it acceptable?..hardly

Times have changed now, and seeing as everything is known in an instant with social media/internet etc...yeah it becomes news..In the past a lot of things were never brought to light due to never having the access to hear/find out about it...so many a putz (public figure) and average Joe got to slither away..to likely do it again...

The fact too though that a team stands behind an anit-drunk driving campaign...and at first showed no course of action in regard to it is almost as bad as the incident itself...and as a public figure in the new millennium...you are under the microscope and scrutinized and as much as you may not want to be a role model in the public eye...you are and have to conduct yourself accordingly...just the way it is. 

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

What more do you want?  Should the Riders cut him today?  Jones gets slagged pretty hard by you guys. He is sitting one of his best players for a huge game because its the right thing to do, and its still not enough?

I wasn't reffereing to what Jones finally implemented...sadly tho probably having to be slapped upside the head to wake up and realize...I was referring to many other totally arbitrary things...articles on 3down-nation..league runours..etc...where the idiots over there spin the conspiracy stuff...tho it is amusement and funny...it's getting pretty old...

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I wasn't reffereing to what Jones finally implemented...sadly tho probably having to be slapped upside the head to wake up and realize...I was referring to many other totally arbitrary things...articles on 3down-nation..league runours..etc...where the idiots over there spin the conspiracy stuff...tho it is amusement and funny...it's getting pretty old...

Ok.  Sorry.  Thought you were referring to something I said or this current situation.  

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

no..no...i was referring to the Dunk/walters collusion on stuff..haha..seems to be a regular comment there

Today just gets better and better, Lynch out for a month.  Be nice if one of my friggin teams could win a game

1 hour ago, J5V said:

It’s not because he’s an athlete. Doesn’t matter if he’s a movie star or rock star or blue collar. We’ve all been educated on this topic. And we have to make choices. That’s the issue. What’s $30 for a cab when you know better?

And that’s the point, he should known better because he’s part of an organization that is backing safe drive. 

He made a choice. It was the wrong one. He’s paying for it now with his suspension, and having his name put out there. And his name has to be out there. It might stop at least one person from doing the same because they can see no one is above this. 

What do we know what he’s going through? Weak. We’re all susceptible because of our own troubles, but life is above football or sports, so yes, we have to talk about it and keep reminding people to do the right thing. It’s easier than you think. 

I get it, Booch, and I'm very sorry to hear about your son. That's awful and I'm very glad to hear he pulled through. Thank God. I have a son as well and my heart goes out to you. I can't even imagine the pain you endured at that time. If I offended you with my comments I apologise most sincerely.

Weird thing about alcoholics behind the wheel -- they almost always walk away unhurt while causing the most horrific damage to people's lives and property. I'll share a story -- I worked with a guy in Sask at a potash mine that got blotto one night and drove head-on into an 18 wheel tractor trailer. Totalled his car completely. He had to report it to me because I was his supervisor and it was company policy. He showed me the pictures of his car, a brand new Honda Civic. You wouldn't believe that someone could survive that kind of destruction but he walked away with little more than a scratch and a sore arm. Yes, very fortunate that he didn't kill himself or someone else. Yes, we dismissed him, but I'm sure this wasn't the first job he had lost due to his alcoholism. It was a matter of time. Guy was a ticking time bomb.

I never did hear what the judge did with him but I doubt he'll ever drive again. I don't know what the answer is. This guy had lost everything that mattered to him, wife, personal relationships with his kids, family, friends, jobs, etc. Just kept drinking. I've lost contact with him but I'm sure he's drunk right now. Chronic alcoholic. What a waste.

My only point was, dragging these people through the court of public opinion likely doesn't help and may make it worse. You can't shame these people out of drinking. They're willing to lose everything and what we think of them means absolutely nothing to them. Take their keys away? Yes, they can't be trusted. 

They need help, a very specialized kind of help for a problem I can't even begin to truly understand. Here's to hoping all alcoholics get the kind of help they need before they cause horrific damage to themselves or anyone else.

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Weird thing about alcoholics behind the wheel -- they almost always walk away unhurt while causing the most horrific damage to people's lives and property.

This is exactly why I have such low tolerance for people doing it. You want to put your own life and safety at risk that's fine but do not put innocent people's lives at risk. In this day and age it is just completely unacceptable and I don't care if you're a rock star, a movie star, an athlete or just a regular joe, if you drink too much and drive you're a piece of ****. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

It’s not because he’s an athlete. Doesn’t matter if he’s a movie star or rock star or blue collar. We’ve all been educated on this topic. And we have to make choices. That’s the issue. What’s $30 for a cab when you know better?

And that’s the point, he should known better because he’s part of an organization that is backing safe drive. 

He made a choice. It was the wrong one. He’s paying for it now with his suspension, and having his name put out there. And his name has to be out there. It might stop at least one person from doing the same because they can see no one is above this. 

What do we know what he’s going through? Weak. We’re all susceptible because of our own troubles, but life is above football or sports, so yes, we have to talk about it and keep reminding people to do the right thing. It’s easier than you think. 

QFT and if it stops even one person from doing the same I'm all for it. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

It's news because he's a pro athlete. Like it or not, they are held to a higher standard. They are also often referred to as heros and are looked up to by many people. They can often be the face of the franchise (business). And they are paid as such. That's why it's news.

Also I feel like you're likely dating yourself a bit with the "if it were a rocker" type of comment. DUI's etc are taken far more seriously then they were in the past.

Also this was done by a football player, which is why we are talking about it on a football forum.

"Have you ever driven buzzed" is not the same comparison. Hughes was FAR past a little "buzzed" he was passed out on the side of the road....I can honestly say I've never done that, and neither have my buddies.

Edited by Bigblue204

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is exactly why I have such low tolerance for people doing it. You want to put your own life and safety at risk that's fine but do not put innocent people's lives at risk. In this day and age it is just completely unacceptable and I don't care if you're a rock star, a movie star, an athlete or just a regular joe, if you drink too much and drive you're a piece of ****

I get your strong feelings on the subject but isn't that a little harsh? If he was a Bomber would you feel just as strongly? What if he was a favorite uncle or your best friend? What if it was your Mom or Dad? I'm willing to bet if it was someone you loved or cared about they would be a "person that made a mistake" and not "a piece of ****".

Interesting article from New Zealand that I found online about the "shaming drunk drivers" thing. It gives one pause to reflect ...

"We all want this to stop, we all don't want people to die because of this ... but 'shame' research has shown that it doesn't stop people from doing it.

"It usually either drives people underground to do it secretly or it stops people standing up and saying I need support."

"If anything they will probably feel worse about themselves and because of that, will feel like having another drink."

The full article can be found here ... https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/333675/claim-naming-and-shaming-won-t-stop-drink-drivers

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

One game and a fine to start....apparently the club is investigating and gathering further evidence...Stay tuned there maybe further action...………………….then again

You mean gathering evidence the way OJ did? There had to evidence at all the golf courses Simpson used to frequent back in the 90's.  

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, J5V said:

I get it, Booch, and I'm very sorry to hear about your son. That's awful and I'm very glad to hear he pulled through. Thank God. I have a son as well and my heart goes out to you. I can't even imagine the pain you endured at that time. If I offended you with my comments I apologise most sincerely.

Weird thing about alcoholics behind the wheel -- they almost always walk away unhurt while causing the most horrific damage to people's lives and property. I'll share a story -- I worked with a guy in Sask at a potash mine that got blotto one night and drove head-on into an 18 wheel tractor trailer. Totalled his car completely. He had to report it to me because I was his supervisor and it was company policy. He showed me the pictures of his car, a brand new Honda Civic. You wouldn't believe that someone could survive that kind of destruction but he walked away with little more than a scratch and a sore arm. Yes, very fortunate that he didn't kill himself or someone else. Yes, we dismissed him, but I'm sure this wasn't the first job he had lost due to his alcoholism. It was a matter of time. Guy was a ticking time bomb.

I never did hear what the judge did with him but I doubt he'll ever drive again. I don't know what the answer is. This guy had lost everything that mattered to him, wife, personal relationships with his kids, family, friends, jobs, etc. Just kept drinking. I've lost contact with him but I'm sure he's drunk right now. Chronic alcoholic. What a waste.

My only point was, dragging these people through the court of public opinion likely doesn't help and may make it worse. You can't shame these people out of drinking. They're willing to lose everything and what we think of them means absolutely nothing to them. Take their keys away? Yes, they can't be trusted. 

They need help, a very specialized kind of help for a problem I can't even begin to truly understand. Here's to hoping all alcoholics get the kind of help they need before they cause horrific damage to themselves or anyone else.

He was not dragged  through the court of public opinion. The Riders' organization was because it sat on the fence  while chiming  public support of the SGI's efforts to stop drunks from driving.   We all have days that are really coal but somehow find better ways to get through them.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

As a law enforcement officer I am disgusted to hear this attitude.  Hughes screwed up badly and put lives in danger just so he could get hammered and thought he was above the law and decided to drive.  It’s 2018 and the education on drinking and has made some serious gains over the last couple of decades.  One of the bombers players lost a family member a few weeks ago to a drunk driver and I seen first hand how badly is rocked there family and how much was taken away because of a stupid decision.  

2 minutes ago, Albertabomberguy said:

As a law enforcement officer I am disgusted to hear this attitude.  Hughes screwed up badly and put lives in danger just so he could get hammered and thought he was above the law and decided to drive.  It’s 2018 and the education on drinking and has made some serious gains over the last couple of decades.  One of the bombers players lost a family member a few weeks ago to a drunk driver and I seen first hand how badly is rocked there family and how much was taken away because of a stupid decision.  

You're arguing against something I didn't say. Nobody is saying there shouldn't be repercussions for Hughes' bad decision. I'm saying leave it to the judge. Or do you and the public know better what to do with Mr. Hughes than the judge does?

3 hours ago, J5V said:

I get your strong feelings on the subject but isn't that a little harsh? If he was a Bomber would you feel just as strongly? What if he was a favorite uncle or your best friend? What if it was your Mom or Dad? I'm willing to bet if it was someone you loved or cared about they would be a "person that made a mistake" and not "a piece of ****".

I would feel the same way if it was a Bomber who did it. I grew up with an alcoholic father. I saw stuff that most people haven't.  Absolutely no sympathy from me for anyone who drinks & drives. Puts others at risk. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

The reality is that problem drinkers' sense of reality tells then that they are either good enough to drive or that they will never get caught, and the odds are with them. Only a small percentage ever get caught. Many of the drunk drivers who lose their licenses just continue to drive.

6 hours ago, J5V said:

No it doesn't make a difference. And I'm not talking about having a couple drinks and driving, I'm talking about getting behind the wheel when you're good and drunk. I know people who have done it and I think less of them because of it. So Bomber or no, piece of ****. 

A high profile sports person gets caught drunk driving.  Then we all have this conversation saying all the same things.  Even a law enforcement officer speaks up here.  But even last night bars and pubs all over North America had drunk people driving away from them last night,  and everyone knows it happens.  Why does it keep happening ?