Go Conservative or Go for the Throat?

BigBlue

I don't know what any of you have seen (or felt) but we have blown some leads this year. We find stuff that is working, we get a lead and then try and sit on it, often pounding Harris into an overloaded box ... leading to 2nd and long and then of course a punt... multiple 2 and out's allow the other teams' offence to finally find itself and get into high gear ... I guess we have blown good momentum and leads at least 3 times this year  (maybe a lot more) ... I put this mainly on Lapo who despite his brilliance too often plays "not to lose" ... I am hoping we can correct this misjudgment even while making sure we don't make silly turnovers ... we can still play ball control offense with Nichols at the helm ... we just can't afford to give up what's working so well when we get momentum ... we are allowed to put the other team away when we are up a bit!

Do you concur?

4 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I don't know what any of you have seen (or felt) but we have blown some leads this year. We find stuff that is working, we get a lead and then try and sit on it, often pounding Harris into an overloaded box ... leading to 2nd and long and then of course a punt... multiple 2 and out's allow the other teams' offence to finally find itself and get into high gear ... I guess we have blown good momentum and leads at least 3 times this year  (maybe a lot more) ... I put this mainly on Lapo who despite his brilliance too often plays "not to lose" ... I am hoping we can correct this misjudgment even while making sure we don't make silly turnovers ... we can still play ball control offense with Nichols at the helm ... we just can't afford to give up what's working so well when we get momentum ... we are allowed to put the other team away when we are up a bit!

Do you concur?

For the most part, yes. In the BC game where we were up 17-0 and ultimately lost 20-17 it was also some ill-advised 3rd down gambles that lead to some huge momentum shifts. Whether that was on Lapo or not I don't know.

9 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Do you concur?

I'm... not... sure... that... I... do!

Sitting back, knowing that you've put the other side into a position where they are going to have to take chances, and then waiting to exploit those, is not in my opinion, laying back.  It can be just he opposite.  Why press the issue when the best thing that you can do at that point is ball control and pin them as deep as possible every time they get the ball back.  Iwould have loved to see us win 62 - 0, but at the same time, watching them stall over and over was fun too.  Sort of like playing with your food.

Edited by WBBFanWest

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo is way too conservative. If the guy had a set of balls he'd be a great coordinator but I've seen too much of his play not to lose mentality over the course of the 3 times he's been here and I ain't a fan. 

Fair question... how are your comments about Lapo really that different from NorthernSkunk's campaign against Nichols...?

10 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm... not... sure... that... I... do!

Sitting back, knowing that you've put the other side into a position where they are going to have to take chances, and then waiting to exploit those, is not in my opinion, laying back.  It can be just he opposite.  Why press the issue when the best thing that you can do at that point is ball control and pin them as deep as possible every time they get the ball back.  Iwould have loved to see us win 62 - 0, but at the same time, watching them stall over and over was fun too.  Sort of like playing with your food.

While any level of 'Rider ineptitude is hilarious, we can't reliably expect to do that against teams that do have some semblance of an offense. I think that BC game was a learning point for our coaching staff. As for the idea that we have late-game collapses, we've won 75% of the games in which we led at the end of the 3rd quarter, which is pretty much right in the middle of the league (5th) - best is CGY/SSK which are undefeated there when leading after 3. It could certainly be better, but its' the CFL - lead changes happen.

What I do find interesting though, is Calgary is only 1-3 when they trail after 3 quarters. For a team that has looked very mortal as of late, it appears they don't have the backbone to comeback from deficits. If we do have an opportunity to "go for the throat" so to speak against the Stamps, it appears that may be the answer on how to break them.

No O coordinator in the league runs a offense that plays lights out, all game, every game. Expecting that is pretty unrealistic. This aint Madden. 

Do we not have the highest scoring team in the league? 

Cal, Edm and Ham have all went through their own dry spells. 

Lapo game plans better than 95 percent of the co ordinators in the league. His trickery and game plans have masked alot of the missing talent we have at the import rec positions. 

Problems have risen in the middle to late portions of some games where we lack the pure talent to get through tough games where the other offense is shredding our D. 

That said though we have a offense good enough to win a cup. Guys just need to step up, like they have been in the last 4 games. 

53 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

No O coordinator in the league runs a offense that plays lights out, all game, every game. Expecting that is pretty unrealistic. This aint Madden. 

Do we not have the highest scoring team in the league? 

Cal, Edm and Ham have all went through their own dry spells. 

Lapo game plans better than 95 percent of the co ordinators in the league. His trickery and game plans have masked alot of the missing talent we have at the import rec positions. 

Problems have risen in the middle to late portions of some games where we lack the pure talent to get through tough games where the other offense is shredding our D. 

That said though we have a offense good enough to win a cup. Guys just need to step up, like they have been in the last 4 games. 

Tina?