Game 6 : Oil Money Gang

50 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Time to make a play for Nylander?  Anyone see a line of Ehlers - Nylander - Laine?  Leafs seem to want D, who would we offer. if we were interested?  Trouba is the obvious one, but would he be enough?

Back away from the ledge you crazy son of a *****!! 

Jokes aside, I posited the same idea, although I prefaced it as a crazy trade suggestion (because it's early).  I think the Jets, being conservative, would keep Trouba the entire season even if they knew with certainty he was not re-signing and they'd have to trade him.  I think D is an issue on this team and the Jets are unlikely to make the conscious decision to accept 3-4 goals against as the norm and focus on scoring 5.

If I have to red circle a key guy as surprising trade bait, it's Ehlers, who'd get a significant return.  But if we're playing NHL 19, sure, Trouba for Nylander and then Ehlers for D help.

7 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Well that was disappointing but it's still too early to tell what type of Jets team this is. I think losing Stastny though has set the team back from the one that eliminated Nashville last season.

I like the Nylander trade ideas though. 

Im trying to think of a team that won the cup by just going balls out amazing players top to bottom.  Im sure its happened.  But when you think about championship teams now, its building the right team, chemistry etc.  So...the Jets are a good team but I agree, Stastny brought something they needed.  And the team knows it which is why they admitted their contract offer for him went beyond their initial comfort zone.

It could be a matter of moving the existing pieces around to find the right chemistry.  You have to think Roslo could be doing more.  I'd swap Connor & Laine and see what happens.

Nylander being out there, every team should be kicking the tires.  If the Jets know Trouba is gone next season, there might be a way to create a win-win but they'd need to turn around and secure significant D help after the fact.

Jets are conservative so highly unlikely but thats what we do here.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Time to make a play for Nylander?  Anyone see a line of Ehlers - Nylander - Laine?  Leafs seem to want D, who would we offer. if we were interested?  Trouba is the obvious one, but would he be enough?

Three wingers...  I like it.  Teams won't expect that.

I'd throw in Kulikov as well as Trouba - we've seen his two games this year, time to pull the plug.

3 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't share that fear. There are a lot of players on that team who look like they don't belong in the NHL. I'm chalking that one up to a Jets collapse.

Got to see McDavid live for the first time. His speed is ridiculous. Wasn't impressed by Draisaitl though. Never would have noticed him if I wasn't looking for him. Obviously just one game though. He looks much bigger than his listed 6'2 208. Must have big shoulder pads...

Also thought Edmonton D looked slow.

You know what happened in that game? In period 3 the Oilers coaches finally changed the lines around to what the fans have been screaming for since forever. Put Puljujarvi with Draisaitl, stopped making him drag Lucic around all the time and putting yamamoto and Lucic with strome in the bottom 6 and take some of the pressure off them. It changed the dynamic of the lines and they all started playing better. They also stapled Benning and Garrison to the bench on D after they were on the ice for the first 2 goals against. Benning has been on the ice for something stupid like 70% of the goals against for the Oilers, no idea why they keep dressing him. 

Draisaitl has had a poor start to the season so no wonders he's not noticable, but again McDavid looked invisible when they made him drag Lucic around for half the year last year too. 

And the reason the Oilers D looks slow is because it is. Only Nurse is a great skater out of the bunch. Klefbom and Larsson are OK skaters but hardly speedsters. 

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'd throw in Kulikov as well as Trouba - we've seen his two games this year, time to pull the plug.

Never give up on a fresh faced rookie like Kulikov who's still learning the game.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius is a Canadian-born Swedish professional ice hockey player currently for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League. Nylander was selected by the Maple Leafs in the first round of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Wikipedia

Born: May 1, 1996 (age 22 years), Calgary

Current team: Toronto Maple Leafs (#29 / Centerman)
Playing career: 2013–present

The only way Cheveldayoff would ever entertain such a trade proposal would be the guarantee of him signing a contract here. I also can't see that being doable based on the current moneys spent on forwards with the Jets and then trying to work Nylander into the mix. Those waters are only further muddied by Laine's looming free agency.

A trade would have to involve multiple pieces, namely a forward going back the other way to make the cap room. I also don't like the idea of moving Trouba and breaking up that top pairing.

Realistically, I don't see such a trade ever happening.

29 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The only way Cheveldayoff would ever entertain such a trade proposal would be the guarantee of him signing a contract here. I also can't see that being doable based on the current moneys spent on forwards with the Jets and then trying to work Nylander into the mix. Those waters are only further muddied by Laine's looming free agency.

A trade would have to involve multiple pieces, namely a forward going back the other way to make the cap room. I also don't like the idea of moving Trouba and breaking up that top pairing.

Realistically, I don't see such a trade ever happening.

What about trading Myers?  He seems to have lost a step.  Add in a forward - not sure who at this point...

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What about trading Myers?  He seems to have lost a step.  Add in a forward - not sure who at this point...

I think any discussion over Nylander requires a good D coming back.  But that doesnt serve the Jets *that* well...yes, Nylander is a great talent so he makes the Jets better but it adds to the salary/talent logjam at forward and diminishes a current weakness (D).  So more moves would be required.  

I think Myers and/or Kulikov would be on the table for discussion (Myers because he's still a respected talent and Kulikov because he is too, to a lesser degree and the Jets would probably be happy to part with his salary).  

If I had to pick a Jet that would be a surprise to get traded (among all the Jets that would be a surprise), it would be Ehlers.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:
William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius is a Canadian-born Swedish professional ice hockey player currently for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League. Nylander was selected by the Maple Leafs in the first round of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Wikipedia

Born: May 1, 1996 (age 22 years), Calgary

Current team: Toronto Maple Leafs (#29 / Centerman)
Playing career: 2013–present

Nylander has been a winger most of his NHL career...  he's a Centre like Andrew Copp is a Centre...  he looked really good with Matthews but Tavares looks 1000 times better...

If you want to try something like that, just put Roslovic between Laine and Ehlers - don't bring in a guy who's already holding out for big bucks

Just now, Floyd said:

Nylander has been a winger most of his NHL career...  he's a Centre like Andrew Copp is a Centre...  he looked really good with Matthews but Tavares looks 1000 times better...

If you want to try something like that, just put Roslovic between Laine and Ehlers - don't bring in a guy who's already holding out for big bucks

He took over 300 face-offs last year and won more than half. 

I honestly don't know much about Nylander, but Laine-Little-Ehlers have all the chemical bonds of noble gases right now.  Not sure what to do about that, then maybe move Roslo up, and give that a try.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

I honestly don't know much about Nylander, but Laine-Little-Ehler have all the chemistry bonding of noble gases right now.  Not sure what to do about that, then maybe move Roslo up, and give that a try.

Speaking of Copp... I'd seriously move him up - he played well with Ehlers - put little on as a winger with Lowry and Tanev so they have more scoring punch

As for Nylander, I have nothing against the player...  I'd make an Ehlers-Nylander trade straight up - not Trouba though

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Nylander wants 8  million per year....  no thanks

I cant foresee any scenario where he gets that other than a trade to a team with a ton of cap space and little serious prospects for cup contention who want to blow their wad on one talented player.  Arizona maybe? lol  

Maurice can be stubborn and wont change our Little and Roslo until such time as he decides Roslo has earned it.  I dont see it being a scenario where he thinks Little plays himself down or the chemistry thing.  But it will happen eventually.  Loyalty is great but when they got Stastny, they had no problem moving Little down.  And it was great.  So the idea should be to find a 2C that can make that line better, allowing them to move Little down and thus make the 3/4 line better.

Barring a blockbuster trade, which the Jets rarely make, the answer will have to come from within.  

21 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm not sure what a pending UFA will get in return. I also don't like the idea of thinning the blue line to acquire a disgruntled forward who's overvaluing himself.