Riderfans.com Game Day Thread

jazzsax

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm going to disagree with this line. What's the bombers winning percentage without Nichols again? That suggests he is a difference maker in the only category that matters.

The old give the QB credit for team wins argument. You think that we'd have lost the Montreal, Edmonton or Regina games with Streveler at QB?

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

And all those QBs are playing on teams that have no better records than Nichols’ team. So, what’s the point again?

That they have better completion %'s and 300 yard games. Wins are a team stat.

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The old give the QB credit for team wins argument. You think that we'd have lost the Montreal, Edmonton or Regina games with Streveler at QB?

That they have better completion %'s and 300 yard games. Wins are a team stat.

And yet, you're among the first here whining when Nichols was "losing" us games.

As usual, you say whatever to fit whatever narrative you want. 

You said this a month ago but are saying now that wins are team stats. 

On 2018-09-11 at 8:52 PM, TBURGESS said:

If Nichols can't pull out a win against Montreal, then he's no good to us anyway.

Edited by JCon

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

That they have better completion %'s and 300 yard games. Wins are the only stat that matters.

FTFY

Ah the old, pick and choose which stats I'll take into consideration argument. Stats show that the bombers lose more then they win when Nichols is out of the game. It's been that way since he got here. We can't go back in time to see what would have happened. I'm not sitting here guessing. I'm using stats and facts to back up my point. Facts show more wins when Nichols is in the line up, proving he is in fact a difference maker.

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

FTFY

Ah the old, pick and choose which stats I'll take into consideration argument. Stats show that the bombers lose more then they win when Nichols is out of the game. It's been that way since he got here. We can't go back in time to see what would have happened. I'm not sitting here guessing. I'm using stats and facts to back up my point. Facts show more wins when Nichols is in the line up, proving he is in fact a difference maker.

In ‘88 a .500 record Bomber team went to the Grey Cup and won 22-21 over future Hall of farmer and legendary quarterback for the lions, Matt Dunigan. Winnipeg was missing Chris Walby due to injury. Sean Salisbury, that hadn’t completed 50% of his passes that year. He didn’t even have 2000 yards passing. I remember his post game victory comments. “ I don’t care what my stats were, we just wanted to win...”. His stats were awful. Two intangibles to win, Michael Grey intercepts Dunigan in the end zone, James West whales on him in celebration, and Coach Mike Riley. How did the Blue win that game? I’d say the difference maker was Riley! He don’t need no stinking stats.

41 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

In ‘88 a .500 record Bomber team went to the Grey Cup and won 22-21 over future Hall of farmer and legendary quarterback for the lions, Matt Dunigan. Winnipeg was missing Chris Walby due to injury. Sean Salisbury, that hadn’t completed 50% of his passes that year. He didn’t even have 2000 yards passing. I remember his post game victory comments. “ I don’t care what my stats were, we just wanted to win...”. His stats were awful. Two intangibles to win, Michael Grey intercepts Dunigan in the end zone, James West whales on him in celebration, and Coach Mike Riley. How did the Blue win that game? I’d say the difference maker was Riley! He don’t need no stinking stats.

Actually he intercepted it on the 2 yard line.  Go to around 2:15 in the video above.  A lot of people say that Bob Cameron won us that Grey Cup, because he could punt into the wind, and Lui Passaglia, who had gotten soft punting indoors in BC, couldn't.

53 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Walby went down in the east semi against Hamilton. The game where just over 12000 went to.  They made shirts after the cup win that said something along the lines of I was one of the 12000 that showed...they sold well over 12000 shirts. 

My Dad took me to that game. Had our usual safeway family endzone tickets.  

Edited by Dodge and Burn

20 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Actually he intercepted it on the 2 yard line.  Go to around 2:15 in the video above.  A lot of people say that Bob Cameron won us that Grey Cup, because he could punt into the wind, and Lui Passaglia, who had gotten soft punting indoors in BC, couldn't.

Cameron! I don’t recall that but it certainly would make perfect sense! Was it Passaglia that use to smoke on the sidelines? Holy crow. West also celebrated at the end of the game and he didn’t have the ball. Appalling! 

Edited by Rod Black

38 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Walby went down in the east semi against Hamilton. The game where just over 12000 went to.  They made shirts after the cup win that said something along the lines of I was one of the 12000 that showed...they sold well over 12000 shirts. 

My Dad took me to that game. Had our usual safeway family endzone tickets.  

Went to that game as well as a teenager...drove in out of province to see it...damn I need a shirt!

3 hours ago, JCon said:

And yet, you're among the first here whining when Nichols was "losing" us games.

As usual, you say whatever to fit whatever narrative you want. 

You said this a month ago but are saying now that wins are team stats. 

Nichols was losing us games a month ago. Wins are what matters. That's not the same as wins are because the QB played well or that wins mean the QB played well.

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols was losing us games a month ago. Wins are what matters. That's not the same as wins are because the QB played well or that wins mean the QB played well.

I recognize these words but they're organized into sentences that make no sense. 

Again, you say anything that fits your narrative. 

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

I recognize these words but they're organized into sentences that make no sense. 

Again, you say anything that fits your narrative. 

Don't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension. Blame your teachers.

You don't even seem to understand what 'my narrative' is.

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

2. I wasn't cherry picking. I was basing my second point on my first, which it turns out is wrong because I didn't take anyone but Harris vs Powell into account. Nichols is 7th in yards per game passing. 9 QB's have 300 yard games this season, so it's not a Nichols vs Harris argument.

What I can die happy now I proved Tburg wrong.

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

What I can die happy now I proved Tburg wrong.

Not even close. We've all proven Tburg wrong at one point or another- that's old hat my friend...

I will commend you though for being one of those rare fortunate ones where he admitted that he was wrong (now waiting for the inevitable "I never said I was wrong" Tburg reply) - that is something to hang your hat on.  😁 

On 2018-10-14 at 5:03 PM, Mr Dee said:

Why must there always be posters who look for the dark lining in silver clouds?

For the same reason the coaching staff will be looking at the negatives of that game and trying to improve on them. Granted, you want to look at the positives, as well, so you can hopefully recreate them but to ignore the negatives is not a recipe for success. I bet if you asked Bighill if there was anything he could improve on from his performance he'd be able to point out at least a couple of things he could have done even better.  Doesn't mean he doesn't think he played well.

On 2018-10-15 at 7:37 PM, TBURGESS said:

I didn't like Nichols silly walk any more than I liked Jefferson's taking the long way to the end zone. I'm a 'pretend you've been there before and are going back' kind of guy.

Agreed. Much like his comments after being booed. Frankly I think booing your starter is self defeating but fans have paid their money and if they want to boo there's not much you can do about it. Having said that...complaining about the booing is also self defeating because if your play doesn't improve you're only opening yourself up to more of the same. His unwillingness to take responsibility for his poor performances didn't help matters.

I just think he's been overly emotional this year...and not in a good way.

Edited by Deiter Fan

10 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Not even close. We've all proven Tburg wrong at one point or another- that's old hat my friend...

I will commend you though for being one of those rare fortunate ones where he admitted that he was wrong (now waiting for the inevitable "I never said I was wrong" Tburg reply) - that is something to hang your hat on.  😁 

I was wrong, so I admitted I was wrong, like I always do. You, with your stupid tag line, ought to know that.