Riderfans.com Game Day Thread

jazzsax

But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about Riderfans.com. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be a Bomber fan, and we in here talking about Riderfans.com. I mean, listen, we're talking about Riderfans.com, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about Riderfans.com. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that the Bombers go out there and die for and play every game like it's their last. Not the game, but we're talking about Riderfans.com, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about Riderfans.com. I know I supposed to be in here. I know I'm supposed to be posting... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about Riderfans.com man. What are we talking about? Riderfans.com? We're talking about Riderfans.com, man. We're talking about Riderfans.com. We're talking about Riderfans.com. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about Riderfans.com, man. When you come to the stadium, and you see the Bombers play, you see them play don't you? You've seen them give everything they've got, right? But we're talking about Riderfans.com right now.

Edited by JCon
Typo

On 2018-10-14 at 11:00 AM, Jpan85 said:

Up the middle of their defence is much to be desired Edem was beat several times you have to start Sam Hurl and there DT are a big pile of meh.

Funny thing is if you watch the replay of the Adams TD... he looks back just before showboating into the endzone... I think he saw it was Edem in chase and he knew he was fine!

13 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Nichols can't throw deep
Can't, or LaPo just doesn't call for it? We are dead last in team attempts of 20+ yards (70, most is CGY with 115), but to be honest, besides Adams, who is our deep threat? As for being unable to throw them - his completion % is 30.8%, Reilly on the other hand is 42.0% (best is actually Masoli with 46.7%),

Our offense leads the league in scoring and TD's and is 2nd to only EDM in 1st downs (339 vs 336) and you're calling for the head of the guy who runs it? I don't understand how Nichols draws such criticism and ire from his own fan base, especially after we hang 31 points on arguably one of the better defensive units in the league.

I think the bigger problem is that almost all of our long shots are targeted to Darvin Adams... for those who haven't noticed... Darvin can't win a jump ball to save his life... catch him in stride, sure he'll make the play... but don't expect him to win a 50/50 ball...

I'd like to see some jump balls thrown to Kenbrall Thompkins... I know it's a small sample size but he won a perfect 50/50 ball in pre-season action... and he would've never lasted 5 years in the NFL without having that ability...

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

There you go again. Confusing team goals with QB play. Reilly is a better QB on a worse team and the discussion wasn't about Reilly anyway. For the love of dog, you're reading comprehension is poor. I loved that we won. It was a great win. We destroyed them. All that being said, Nichols didn't have a great game and that's all I was saying in the first place.

Ottawa also rushes a lot. Powell is the leading rusher in the league right now and has more rushes than Harris. Trevor Harris has 9 300 yard games this season alone. Nichols has 1 300+ yard game in his last 19 starts.

I didn't say that Nichols never throws TD's. I agree that it's better to hand the ball off when you get close if you have good RB. In fact, I'd rather see us punch the ball in on the ground than give Nichols 2 throws from the 5 because rushing has a higher chance of success. Nichols has 16 passing TD's and 1 rushing in 12 starts. Streveler has 10 passing and 8 rushing in 3 starts.

I didn't say Nichols can't throw deep. I said he isn't accurate when he throws deep. PLAP is calling deep balls. Nichols is missing them. It doesn't matter how many deep threats we have. When they are open, our QB needs to get the ball to them. BTW: Reilly's numbers on deep balls are down because he throws a lot of 50-50 balls so they are often contested catches. Nichols numbers are lower and he doesn't throw many 50-50 balls. Nichols is 7th in deep ball completion percentage.

I'm not calling for Nichols head. The only time I did that was after the Banjo bowl when I wanted Streveler to start the Montreal game. 

Yah, we score a lot of points. 131 of them are off of turn overs which is best in the league.

It's not about Nichols playing great. It's about the team around him playing great.

Then, enjoy the win instead of finding things to criticize. Nichols is 7th in deep ball completion & we have the 3rd best record in the CFL with 9 wins. 

On 2018-10-14 at 12:40 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, how dare he enjoy hooking up with Adams for the biggest play of the day and celebrate that TD.

Even after a win, some here choose to ***** and complain. Of course it's the usual whiny suspects. Says a lot.

to clarify, I was content with Nichols play, and have been for the last month.  Not beaming from ear to ear and running out to pick up his jersey.  But he's been playing much smarter football.  As far as the celebration goes, I just didn't like it.  I think a standard celebration would have been fine, especially given his play this season.   You don't see Bo Levi or Reilly, or even Massoli throw out arrogant over the top TD celebrations.  I doubt we see anything like that out of him again.... just needs to act like he's been there before, and keep winning games!  If that's a Grey Cup winning TD pass, then by all means, strut your stuff!   I just prefer humble celebrations from our team leaders, and I'll leave it at that!

Edited by trueBlue83

They’re not the same.

Jefferson was showboating. Nichols was mimicking a crowd favourite. An inside joke as it were. A lot of people didn’t know that walk, myself included. 

A lot of people didn’t like it. My fellow watchers just laughed it off. 

Knowing the background helps. It was a funny 😆 

Others have mimicked Arceneaux’s strut. No offence meant, none taken.

Time to lighten up.

39 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I didn't like Nichols silly walk any more than I liked Jefferson's taking the long way to the end zone. I'm a 'pretend you've been there before and are going back' kind of guy.

If the player is having fun, doesn’t get a stupid taunting call, for me it’s all just entertainment. Watching highlight reels of celebrations is a perfectly legitimate “best of...” programming. By golly, it’s even fun getting angry when the other side pisses me off with a celly, but it’s  still entertainment. 

Edited by Rod Black

12 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

There you go again. Confusing team goals with QB play. Reilly is a better QB on a worse team and the discussion wasn't about Reilly anyway. For the love of dog, you're reading comprehension is poor. I loved that we won. It was a great win. We destroyed them. All that being said, Nichols didn't have a great game and that's all I was saying in the first place.

Ottawa also rushes a lot. Powell is the leading rusher in the league right now and has more rushes than Harris. Trevor Harris has 9 300 yard games this season alone. Nichols has 1 300+ yard game in his last 19 starts.

I didn't say that Nichols never throws TD's. I agree that it's better to hand the ball off when you get close if you have good RB. In fact, I'd rather see us punch the ball in on the ground than give Nichols 2 throws from the 5 because rushing has a higher chance of success. Nichols has 16 passing TD's and 1 rushing in 12 starts. Streveler has 10 passing and 8 rushing in 3 starts.

I didn't say Nichols can't throw deep. I said he isn't accurate when he throws deep. PLAP is calling deep balls. Nichols is missing them. It doesn't matter how many deep threats we have. When they are open, our QB needs to get the ball to them. BTW: Reilly's numbers on deep balls are down because he throws a lot of 50-50 balls so they are often contested catches. Nichols numbers are lower and he doesn't throw many 50-50 balls. Nichols is 7th in deep ball completion percentage.

I'm not calling for Nichols head. The only time I did that was after the Banjo bowl when I wanted Streveler to start the Montreal game. 

Yah, we score a lot of points. 131 of them are off of turn overs which is best in the league.

It's not about Nichols playing great. It's about the team around him playing great.

I'm not saying Nichols is a ridiculously stellar QB, I'm just saying he's doing what is asked of him. LaPo's playcalling is for more short passes with longer sustained drives, then so be it.

1. Ottawa rushes alot: What? No they don't, they pass a lot. We run the ball a lot, we lead the league in rushing (2,103 yards on 375 attempts). OTT by comparison has just 1,453 yards (7th) on 296 attempts (6th). OTT doesn't run a lot, they rely exclusively on Powell, which is why he has such high rushing yardage. This just shows Powell is a good back.

2. Nichols compared to T. Harris - Nice cherry-picking here - OTT has the most pass attempts (575) in the league. Harris has 553 attempts compared to Nichols' 359 attempts. Of course he's going to have more yards per game (and overall) - he has 194 more passing attempts than Nichols this year. You throw more, you get more passing yards. Also, I find it funny in one breath you argue OTT rushes the ball lots, then talk about how good their passing offense is.

3. Streveler numbers - his numbers in 3 starts, let's take a closer look: his combined numbers over those starts are:
54/86 (62.7%) for 570 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs and 2 rushing TDs and no +300 yard games. Pretty impressive, until you consider half the stats he piled up include a 56-10 win over MTL (he was 22/28 for 246 - 3 TDs, 0 INTs). As for having more rushing TDs than Nichols - of course he does, he's our backup and runs the short yardage unit.

4. I don't think anyone will dispute Reilly is a better QB at the long ball, but he also leads the league in 20+ yard attempts that have been intercepted (10). PLAP is not calling deep balls. If he was calling deep balls we'd have more deep passing attempts, currently we are tied for last in the league in that category, and we've played one more game than some teams.

5. Scoring off Turnovers: Of course we have lots of points off turnovers. A good offense is better at scoring on short fields - and they're even better at it when they start in good field position.

6. "It's not about Nichols playing great. It's about the team around him playing great." - TBURGESS
That's kind of my point here, Nichols isn't ever going to get MVP or the passing title, but Reilly can have those. That's all he won in 2016 and 2017. He's done well in a system that's designed for him, and that system includes a heavy run offense that doesn't pass often. When it does, it's shorter, high completion passes that allow the offense to march down the field.

10 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm not saying Nichols is a ridiculously stellar QB, I'm just saying he's doing what is asked of him. LaPo's playcalling is for more short passes with longer sustained drives, then so be it.

1. Ottawa rushes alot: What? No they don't, they pass a lot. We run the ball a lot, we lead the league in rushing (2,103 yards on 375 attempts). OTT by comparison has just 1,453 yards (7th) on 296 attempts (6th). OTT doesn't run a lot, they rely exclusively on Powell, which is why he has such high rushing yardage. This just shows Powell is a good back.

2. Nichols compared to T. Harris - Nice cherry-picking here - OTT has the most pass attempts (575) in the league. Harris has 553 attempts compared to Nichols' 359 attempts. Of course he's going to have more yards per game (and overall) - he has 194 more passing attempts than Nichols this year. You throw more, you get more passing yards. Also, I find it funny in one breath you argue OTT rushes the ball lots, then talk about how good their passing offense is.

3. Streveler numbers - his numbers in 3 starts, let's take a closer look: his combined numbers over those starts are:
54/86 (62.7%) for 570 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs and 2 rushing TDs and no +300 yard games. Pretty impressive, until you consider half the stats he piled up include a 56-10 win over MTL (he was 22/28 for 246 - 3 TDs, 0 INTs). As for having more rushing TDs than Nichols - of course he does, he's our backup and runs the short yardage unit.

4. I don't think anyone will dispute Reilly is a better QB at the long ball, but he also leads the league in 20+ yard attempts that have been intercepted (10). PLAP is not calling deep balls. If he was calling deep balls we'd have more deep passing attempts, currently we are tied for last in the league in that category, and we've played one more game than some teams.

5. Scoring off Turnovers: Of course we have lots of points off turnovers. A good offense is better at scoring on short fields - and they're even better at it when they start in good field position.

6. "It's not about Nichols playing great. It's about the team around him playing great." - TBURGESS
That's kind of my point here, Nichols isn't ever going to get MVP or the passing title, but Reilly can have those. That's all he won in 2016 and 2017. He's done well in a system that's designed for him, and that system includes a heavy run offense that doesn't pass often. When it does, it's shorter, high completion passes that allow the offense to march down the field.

I'm not saying that Nichols is a ridiculously poor QB either, just an average one that's not the difference maker folks seem to think he is.

1. You're right about the number of rushing attempts. I was comparing Harris to Powell straight up. I didn't take into account the rest of our running game. Running the ball will hurt Nichols gross numbers, but it doesn't effect his QUAR or %'s. In fact, a good running game should make it easier to throw the ball.

2. I wasn't cherry picking. I was basing my second point on my first, which it turns out is wrong because I didn't take anyone but Harris vs Powell into account. Nichols is 7th in yards per game passing. 9 QB's have 300 yard games this season, so it's not a Nichols vs Harris argument.

3. No Streveler doesn't have any 300 yard games in his 3 starts as a raw rookie. Who'd expect him to?

4. PLAP calls deep balls about 15% of the time, which is lower than OC's who have QB's with higher completion rates. Nichols has 57 deep balls on 359 throws with a completion rate of 29.8%. Is that because PLAP doesn't just doesn't like the deep ball or because Nichols doesn't complete enough of them?

5. Short field = defensive win, not QB excellence.

6. Nichols is in a system designed for him and he didn't even win a playoff game in '16 or '17. Reilly, Harris, Mazoli, Bethal-Thompson and Jennings all have better completion %'s than Nichols and 300 yard games this year. All of them aren't in short, high completion offenses.

Edited by TBURGESS

58 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not saying that Nichols is a ridiculously poor QB either, just an average one that's not the difference maker folks seem to think he is.

I'm going to disagree with this line. What's the bombers winning percentage without Nichols again? That suggests he is a difference maker in the only category that matters.

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Reilly, Harris, Mazoli, Bethal-Thompson and Jennings all have better completion %'s than Nichols and 300 yard games this year. All of them aren't in short, high completion offenses.

And all those QBs are playing on teams that have no better records than Nichols’ team. So, what’s the point again?

15 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

They’re not the same.

Jefferson was showboating. Nichols was mimicking a crowd favourite. An inside joke as it were. A lot of people didn’t know that walk, myself included. 

A lot of people didn’t like it. My fellow watchers just laughed it off. 

Knowing the background helps. It was a funny 😆 

Others have mimicked Arceneaux’s strut. No offence meant, none taken.

Time to lighten up.

The funny part was he chose to mimick somebody who just lost a major bout.