Game Day Thread- Week Eighteen, GAME 16: Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers October 13th, 2018

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Everyone can say that on the forum. 

You've been 19 post old here and you're ruffling feathers already. You might end you're welcome shortly. 

So because I can look at the team and it's players objectively I won't be welcome here? Frankly I think that says much more about you than it does about me.  A poster above, in a reply to me, said "Nichols sucks". I never said anything  similar but I don't see you commenting on that. Or is there a post count one must achieve before stating one's opinion on a player?

I think Nichols has peaked and has not been a great QB this year and his numbers reflect that. If you want to discuss that, fine...if, instead, you want to focus on me then I refuse to take the bait.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

Nichols went 10-18 for 155. If we extend Streveler's numbers thru 3 quarters he's 9-15 for 134. Except for the interception their numbers would have been nearly identical.

The difference, of course, is that the offence was playing  conservative/not to lose in the 4th.

They played conservative the entire second half. 

The Bombers offence is high efficient at putting points on athe board. The offence is built around feeding the ball to Andrew Harris nobody else is going to have godly stats in this offence. Really it’s a different offence than any other around the league. It’s really something they lead the league in TDs and points.

A couple of FTR's:

1. He got 155 yards, not 250. If he had played 4 quarters that would be 200, not 250 yards.
  2. Streveler put up more points in his less than 1/3 of playing time.
  3. Folks who question Nichols doesn't necessarily hate him. (I don't)
  4. How many points we've scored isn't a Nichols stat. It's a team stat. 133 of our points are off turn overs.
  5. Streveler has scored more TD's than Nichols through the air and on the ground.Some were short yardage that were set up by Nichols.
  6. Wins aren't a QB stat either. They are a team stat.

Flame away.😎

Speaking for myself only of course, I find the "discussion" on this board rapidly going downhill, primarily because of a few posters who really feel the need to bad mouth the team generally and specific players with the  apparent motive of eliciting as much reaction as possible.  Sure hope that Rich and the mods don't let this go on for too much longer.  Ignore is a great feature, but it doesn't replace culling when necessary.  Would be a shame to see this place deteriorate much more.  It's going to get real ugly in here if the Bombers make an early exit in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Jesus Christ this thread is a great example of how crappy the forum is getting...

We win 31-0 & we have a group of so called "fans" who do nothing but whine, ***** & complain even after a big win like that. Pretty sad state of affairs for some of the people posting here. The only time they're happy is when we lose. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We win 31-0 & we have a group of so called "fans" who do nothing but whine, ***** & complain even after a big win like that. Pretty sad state of affairs for some of the people posting here. The only time they're happy is when we lose. 

Kinda like, going to a real blow out party and the sad sacks won’t give up harping on the hosts decision to offer cheese dip. Boring and tiresome. 

Edited by Rod Black

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A win means that no one can say anything negative? What a crock.

It's not the folks who look at both sides who are the problem. It's the folks to whine about folks not just seeing the positives that cause these threads to go on and on and on. Just ignore those who disagree with you and everyone will get along better.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

It's not the folks who look at both sides who are the problem. It's the folks to whine about folks not just seeing the positives that cause these threads to go on and on and on. Just ignore those who disagree with you and everyone will get along better.

No, it'll be better if I ignore you. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

A couple of FTR's:

1. He got 155 yards, not 250. If he had played 4 quarters that would be 200, not 250 yards.
  2. Streveler put up more points in his less than 1/3 of playing time.
  3. Folks who question Nichols doesn't necessarily hate him. (I don't)
  4. How many points we've scored isn't a Nichols stat. It's a team stat. 133 of our points are off turn overs.
  5. Streveler has scored more TD's than Nichols through the air and on the ground.Some were short yardage that were set up by Nichols.
  6. Wins aren't a QB stat either. They are a team stat.

Flame away.😎

No flaming needed, it serves no purpose whatsoever. 

Just some clarification: 

With the conservative second half, Harris on the sidelines, etc. I doubt Nichols gets even 200 yards. Which is why I extrapolated his first half numbers and conclude 250 - 300 yards.

For Streveler, this game was experience and playing time, no more, no less. The coaches can take the game plan into account when they evaluate him, we can’t. 

29 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Well, they go to other threads and ‘poke the bear’ there as well. 

A QB gets blame. Why not credit? Sometimes, a QB makes that key throw on a 2nd down that continues a scoring drive. That pass may only be for short yardage, and may lead to a winning FG. Does that show up in the stats? No. But it may be key. So do rushing yards.

The QB has the most touches on offence, and if he follows the game plan, and executes, it leads to good results..usually. 

The comparison of Nichols and Streveler doesn’t work. It’s usually a set up for Streveler to succeed. The credit still belongs to Streveler because he executes the set up well. But does it happen without the contrast to Nichols? I don’t know about that.

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

A QB gets blame. Why not credit? Sometimes, a QB makes that key throw on a 2nd down that continues a scoring drive. That pass may only be for short yardage, and may lead to a winning FG. Does that show up in the stats? No. But it may be key. So do rushing yards.

The QB has the most touches on offence, and if he follows the game plan, and executes, it leads to good results..usually. 

The comparison of Nichols and Streveler doesn’t work. It’s usually a set up for Streveler to succeed. The credit still belongs to Streveler because he executes the set up well. But does it happen without the contrast to Nichols? I don’t know about that.

Well done Mr Dee! 

53 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

No flaming needed, it serves no purpose whatsoever. 

Just some clarification: 

With the conservative second half, Harris on the sidelines, etc. I doubt Nichols gets even 200 yards. Which is why I extrapolated his first half numbers and conclude 250 - 300 yards.

For Streveler, this game was experience and playing time, no more, no less. The coaches can take the game plan into account when they evaluate him, we can’t. 

You extrapolated incorrectly. You doubled his first half stats and completely ignored his 3rd quarter stats. You included the 72 yarder which is very unlikely to have happened a second time in the game to juice your conclusion.

35 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

When a QB throws bad INT's he deserves the blame. When he throws for 150-200 yards, his defense scores, gives him 5 turn overs, short fields and his backup scores more points than he does, he doesn't deserve most of the credit.

The comparison of Nichols and Streveler certainly doesn't work for your side. You can't compare the raw numbers, but the QUAR and percentages are still valid. Does Streveler win the Montreal, Edmonton and Regina games if he starts? I'd say it's most likely because none of those games were won by our QB. That leaves Ottawa, Nichols best game of the year. I give him full credit for that one.

Edited by TBURGESS

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The comparison of Nichols and Streveler certainly doesn't work for your side. You can't compare the raw numbers, but the QUAR and percentages are still valid. Does Streveler win the Montreal, Edmonton and Regina games if he starts? I'd say it's most likely because none of those games were won by our QB. That leaves Ottawa, Nichols best game of the year. I give him full credit for that one.

You cannot compare them period. You just can’t say which QB would have success or fail in any given game. So, you go with experience and the guy who has won you games, no matter if it’s ST, defence or Offence. There’s no way you can say Streveler would have won the same games as Nichols. It’s simply conjecture to say otherwise.

Like I said, Streveler is set up to succeed, field position and taking advantage of his abilities. And there’s nothing wrong with that. That’s good Coaching. 

I really like the looks of Streveler and he will do well..with experience. He very well could be the future. 

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You extrapolated incorrectly. You doubled his first half stats and completely ignored his 3rd quarter stats. You included the 72 yarder which is very unlikely to have happened a second time in the game to juice your conclusion.

You have to account for all current trends, in this case the big play and the conservative gameplan in the second half.

As an aside, the best team in the league is right behind us with points off turnovers, only 11 less than we have. 

I honestly dont understand why anyone is complaining. We started off good, went through a funk and turned it around. We are a win away from a playoff and potentially 2 from a home playoff. And once in the playoffs it's a whole new ball game.

It's obvious Nichols isnt as good as last year. Appears to be from injury and game calling. Hes also not a young QB anymore. But we have an amazing backup with a ton of potential and that's something we havent seen in these parts in over a decade. 

So why complain? Nichols isnt going anywhere for the remainder of the season. But we should all be happy of the upward direction  the team is going and the confidence that we have a back up in training who is getting reps when he can. No use rushing him in and destroying him like we have done so many times.