Game 5 : Like A Hurricane

51 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

To be fair tho the stat of the game is that Ehlers has 4 goals in last 39 games(including playoffs) and most of those 39 games were with Stastny, Maybe it's not just Little.

To be fair tho part deux....of Laine's 45 goals in 17/18, 20 were  on the power play and he's not playing with Little on those. So let's drop that number to 25 and Little assisted on 4. That's the real Little/Laine stat.

Still terrible...  there's three shooters on that line all trying to pass to the other guys.  That 2 on 0 was ridiculous.

Maurice needs to run four lines - but that would cause his brain to melt - tricky situation...

In bizarro land, we'd actually get to see what a real setup guy like Petan could do with Laine... but we all know that's not going to happen

Vesalainen looks paralyzed out there too...  might be too much too soon...

Small sample size but here's what we think we know:

The D is awful.  We're one key injury away from a lost season.  We can't assume the goalies will steal every game.  Chevy better be working those phones.  If Myers & Kulikov play like this all season, we have no cap issues because they will both be gone.  I was a Myers guy but honestly, trade him now before the rest of the league realizes he's finished.  And if someone will take Kulikov's salary, send them a pick too.  Turn around and get someone that can play top 4 D.

Laine & Ehlers are wastes with Little and/or together.  And it opens up the potential trading of Ehlers.  I dont think Cup winners are the team that assembles the top 12 players.  Its about chemistry.  You have Roslo languishing and that second line doing nothing.  Littler is important to us (face offs etc) but its not working.  

Brosoit looks like a steal.

Crazy trade suggestion IF (big if) Trouba wont sign here and they know it.  Trouba to TO for Nylander.  Trade Ehlers for a top D.  Get Myers and Kulikov out for another 3/4 D.  

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

To be fair tho the stat of the game is that Ehlers has 4 goals in last 39 games(including playoffs) and most of those 39 games were with Stastny, Maybe it's not just Little.

To be fair tho part deux....of Laine's 45 goals in 17/18, 20 were  on the power play and he's not playing with Little on those. So let's drop that number to 25 and Little assisted on 4. That's the real Little/Laine stat.

Still backs up my argument when it comes to Little- Laine. I am not knocking Little they just don't mesh....its pretty obvious.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Small sample size but here's what we think we know:

The D is awful.  We're one key injury away from a lost season.  We can't assume the goalies will steal every game.  Chevy better be working those phones.  If Myers & Kulikov play like this all season, we have no cap issues because they will both be gone.  I was a Myers guy but honestly, trade him now before the rest of the league realizes he's finished.  And if someone will take Kulikov's salary, send them a pick too.  Turn around and get someone that can play top 4 D.

Laine & Ehlers are wastes with Little and/or together.  And it opens up the potential trading of Ehlers.  I dont think Cup winners are the team that assembles the top 12 players.  Its about chemistry.  You have Roslo languishing and that second line doing nothing.  Littler is important to us (face offs etc) but its not working.  

Broissoit looks like a steal.

Crazy trade suggestion IF (big if) Trouba wont sign here and they know it.  Trouba to TO for Nylander.  Trade Ehlers for a top D.  Get Myers and Kulikov out for another 3/4 D.  

Maybe Myers is bad this year cause he knows he will be traded. Don't let him hang. Sign or trade.

Turn around and get someone that can play top 4D? Our top 4D are Buff, Trouba, Morrissey and the flavor of the day playing with Buff.  Myers/Kuli only play top 4 if someone else is out.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Maybe Myers is bad this year cause he knows he will be traded. Don't let him hang. Sign or trade.

Turn around and get someone that can play top 4D? Our top 4D are Buff, Trouba, Morrissey and the flavor of the day playing with Buff.  Myers/Kuli only play top 4 if someone else is out.

That makes them an expensive bottom 2.  I dont mind Morrow.  But with Buff hurt, we're exposed as lacking depth.  Our bottom D cant step up to fill in.  

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Niku not a shut down D tho. Isnt that what youre begging for?

Talent is talent.  Someone that get the puck out and work with Buff.  We're missing Toby in that regard.  I honestly thought the D would be a lot better and its still early but it seems like everyone is taking turns playing lousy.  Their attempt to get Myers to play 2LHD shows that was a position of concern.  And Myers doesnt seem that much better playing 3RHD.  

Ideally, Trouba & Morrissey settle down and become that elite shut down pair.  Buff & whomever (Niku might be a solid bet) take up plenty of minutes moving the puck around and then you're bottom pairing arent counted on to deliver much more than steady minutes.  

We're giving up a ton of shots right now and while other teams score at a blazing clip, we dont seem to be doing that either.  

Floyd -  This happens every season...  fantasy trades and over reactions.   Usually mid way through the season we like to pick a few players who are the main reason (even if they only play 5 minutes a game) for why the Jets are losing.     Usually a guy like Mark Stuart who barely plays but is blamed for all our woes.    This season it will be Kulikov or maybe Ehlers might get blamed for not notching 30 goals....

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You're right.  Lets lock down the Jets forum until the All Star Break or until Floyd feels its appropriate.

Or just comment on the games instead of posting lunacy.

If you'd like to discuss...

Trouba for Nylander is ridiculous and will never happen.  Same with Ehlers for a top D.

Trading Kulikov after one game is ridiculous.  Trading him AND Myers for a 3/4 D is all out panic.

We are not 'missing' Enstrom...  but I do agree that I'd like to see Buff-Niku...  maybe wait for an injury before hitting the panic button.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Floyd -  This happens every season...  fantasy trades and over reactions.   Usually mid way through the season we like to pick a few players who are the main reason (even if they only play 5 minutes a game) for why the Jets are losing.     Usually a guy like Mark Stuart who barely plays but is blamed for all our woes.    This season it will be Kulikov or maybe Ehlers might get blamed for not notching 30 goals....

Or is our main penalty killing pylon.... ha

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Or just comment on the games instead of posting lunacy.

If you'd like to discuss...

Trouba for Nylander is ridiculous and will never happen.  Same with Ehlers for a top D.

Trading Kulikov after one game is ridiculous.  Trading him AND Myers for a 3/4 D is all out panic.

We are not 'missing' Enstrom...  but I do agree that I'd like to see Buff-Niku...  maybe wait for an injury before hitting the panic button.

Im not familar with your posting history so Im not sure if you're having a bad day or if this is par for the course.  But I generally find it hilarious when people discuss hockey in a hockey forum and someone comes along with their best grump old man impression and posts nothing of substance other than to be critical of people discussing hockey on a hockey forum.

But since you're doubling down:

1) Troubs for Nylander has been a much-discussed rumour all over the place.

2) Kulikov has been much discussed around these parts for ages.

3) Yes we are missing Toby because we're missing that smart first pass out of the D zone.  Since you agree Niku might work witb Buff, you're actually agreeing with me.

4) Its unseasonably cold but its going to warm up this week so take solace in that.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

First 5 Games

2017/18 3W 2L

2018/19 3W 2L

tenor.gif?itemid=3409084

How many games in are we allowed to talk about the Jets?  No one is panicking.  Some people are talking about the team based on the games we've observed.  If some people dont want to engage in or see discussion, dont read.  Its super easy lol

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Still terrible...  there's three shooters on that line all trying to pass to the other guys.  That 2 on 0 was ridiculous.

Maurice needs to run four lines - but that would cause his brain to melt - tricky situation...

In bizarro land, we'd actually get to see what a real setup guy like Petan could do with Laine... but we all know that's not going to happen

Vesalainen looks paralyzed out there too...  might be too much too soon...

Actually imo it was well played but unfortunately Ehlers didn't lift it and Mzarek made a nice stop.

Why do you have such a hard time with Maurice rolling four lines? The game dictates if you can and it seems Maurice flexes line time when he needs to, not perfectly, but like a professional head coach. 

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Actually imo it was well played but unfortunately Ehlers didn't lift it and Mzarek made a nice stop.

Why do you have such a hard time with Maurice rolling four lines? The game dictates if you can and it seems Maurice flexes line time when he needs to, not perfectly, but like a professional head coach. 

Ehlers and Laine were way too close to each other for that give and go and give...

I've never seen him roll four lines... like ever...  he's a guy that relies on his 'go to' guys - CSW for scoring, TLC for checking...  

Teams like San Jose, NJD, Canes... they all roll four lines to a greater extent than Maurice... his fourth line gets buried some games - that's why Ehlers was promoted before we got to see what could happen...

48 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not familar with your posting history so Im not sure if you're having a bad day or if this is par for the course.  But I generally find it hilarious when people discuss hockey in a hockey forum and someone comes along with their best grump old man impression and posts nothing of substance other than to be critical of people discussing hockey on a hockey forum.

But since you're doubling down:

1) Troubs for Nylander has been a much-discussed rumour all over the place.

2) Kulikov has been much discussed around these parts for ages.

3) Yes we are missing Toby because we're missing that smart first pass out of the D zone.  Since you agree Niku might work witb Buff, you're actually agreeing with me.

4) Its unseasonably cold but its going to warm up this week so take solace in that.

1) Quoting an Eklund rumour... I rest my case.  Why you'd want another 'first line' winger who's already holding out is beyond me.

2) Kulikov played very well with Myers last season until he was injured... super strong 3rd pairing - why not give him more than one game before you trade him for horse meat

3) Im not a huge fan of Cheerios - but Buff and Toby were just not that good together - Buff made Toby better like he makes everyone better - I'd take Morrow on that pairing to start - it was working last year...

4) Im in the Yukon... its always warmer than Manitoba

Its Maurice... he's going to try and force chemistry - its what he does...  

Here's what we can agree on - Myers/Morrow is an absolute train wreck 

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ehlers and Laine were way too close to each other for that give and go and give...

I've never seen him roll four lines... like ever...  he's a guy that relies on his 'go to' guys - CSW for scoring, TLC for checking...  

Teams like San Jose, NJD, Canes... they all roll four lines to a greater extent than Maurice... his fourth line gets buried some games - that's why Ehlers was promoted before we got to see what could happen...

Ehlers just needed to lift the puck. Their spacing was fine based on how that play developed. Laine could have shot as well.

As for how Maurice rolls his lines, it comes down to what he and his coaching staff  sees during the game that dictates playing time.  You seem to think he's not doing some things he should be in how he needs to roll his lines. I'm not as worried as you are.

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

1) Quoting an Eklund rumour... I rest my case.  Why you'd want another 'first line' winger who's already holding out is beyond me.

2) Kulikov played very well with Myers last season until he was injured... super strong 3rd pairing - why not give him more than one game before you trade him for horse meat

3) Im not a huge fan of Cheerios - but Buff and Toby were just not that good together - Buff made Toby better like he makes everyone better - I'd take Morrow on that pairing to start - it was working last year...

4) Im in the Yukon... its always warmer than Manitoba

Its Maurice... he's going to try and force chemistry - its what he does...  

Here's what we can agree on - Myers/Morrow is an absolute train wreck 

1) you're still being an unnecessary you-know-what.  I dont recall seeing the rumor mentioned by Eklund.  I've seen it repeated all over.  I seem to recall Friedman might have mentioned it too.  Does it matter or are we not to discuss rumors here?  Let me know whats allowed

2) You can search my posts, I defended Kulikov.  But this "its his first game" is a bit of a red herring since he was a healthy scratch and couldn't beat out Chiarot or Morrow  to crack the roster until someone got hurt.  I believe my first remark was "small sample size" to rip on me for giving my thoughts when I clearly acknowledged the short sample size is really just whining for the sake of whining

3) Irrelevant

4) That must explain it.