CFL TRADE DEADLINE !!!

Floyd

Was hoping to get another receiver in here but I'm not too worried about it either way. Our chance at the playoffs and/or in the playoffs was always going to rest on the players we already have here. If Nichols and the receivers play well, we're dangerous. If not, pack up the lockers.

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not that the silence today was a make it or break it scenario, but disappointing to know we’re not going to be good enough to win ... again.

Just about over Walters, etc. Our roster at the beginning of the year wasn’t good enough, but **** it, let’s not bother trying to make it better right? All year. Same ****.

Not too long ago, you would have raked a post like this over the coals...  how do you know EJ was available?  Why do you think a concussed SJ Green is better than Thompkins?  We have two NI REC that should end up with 600+ yards - why is Armanti Edwards better than that?

Nichols went into a ridiculous funk for four games...  we literally gave away two games to the Riders otherwise we'd be in 2nd place and everyone would be planning the Grey Cup parade ha...

If the old Nichols is actually back, anything is possible this year...  haven't seen parity like this in a long time

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Not too long ago, you would have raked a post like this over the coals...  how do you know EJ was available?  Why do you think a concussed SJ Green is better than Thompkins?  We have two NI REC that should end up with 600+ yards - why is Armanti Edwards better than that?

Nichols went into a ridiculous funk for four games...  we literally gave away two games to the Riders otherwise we'd be in 2nd place and everyone would be planning the Grey Cup parade ha...

If the old Nichols is actually back, anything is possible this year...  haven't seen parity like this in a long time

The old Nichols has yet to win us a playoff game....... I hope a new Nichols shows up...and shows up this weekend and throttles the riders with a 400 yard passing game...... An Harris gets a nice even 100 rushing,  and whatever he wants outta the 400 passing

then get the parade plans out

It may be that our only real chance of winning it all this year was never going to be in making deals for players but in developing the required chemistry that would allow this team to gel at the right time. Surprisingly we may have done that. We do seem to have something going here. Gutting out that win against Ottawa might be just what we needed. 

The season isn't over. The next three games will likely show us if we really have a chance or not. A team is greater than the sum of it's parts.

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Nichols wasn’t the reason we lost 2 playoff games with him at QB;

2017 - 35 out of 48 attempts. 72.92% for 371 yards 3 TDs 0 ints.

2016 - 26 of 40 attempts  65% for 390 yards 2 TDs 0 ints 

Those numbers are very good.

It's clearly just trolling at this point, beating the same pile of horse bones into dust.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

To be fair, Nichols put up a lot of those numbers in garbage time when we were down by a bunch. He was also playing hurt though.

Its frustrating to see this club not make moves all season, when we're clearly not good enough and need improvements.

Who haven't we beaten? Sask and Calgary. Both are very beatable, especially if we continue to play as we have lately.

46 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Well I can't speak for Mike but I would have loved to see them grab a veteran receiver for one reason and one reason only... depth. This team cratered when Dressler was out and now he got dinged in practise again. We can't be the team that relies on our depth receivers, Walters ain't good enough at recruiting them and we need a veteran if Dressler is out. Oh well. Just have to hope he stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

All this talk about acquiring receivers...... some of them deep threat receivers......has Matt figured out the long ball enough for the Bombers to spend more dollars on receivers who would be standing 20+ yards downfield every attempt ?

I'm still waiting for them to send Thompkins deep, he made some nice plays on the ball in pre-season.

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well I can't speak for Mike but I would have loved to see them grab a veteran receiver for one reason and one reason only... depth. This team cratered when Dressler was out and now he got dinged in practise again. We can't be the team that relies on our depth receivers, Walters ain't good enough at recruiting them and we need a veteran if Dressler is out. Oh well. Just have to hope he stays healthy. 

I 100% agree with this.... but seriously - who was available that fills that role?  Guys are just spouting names because they are names...

EJ would have been a good pickup 2-3 years ago...  SJ Green is under contract - why would Popp leave his young QB with literally no one to throw to?

I fully agree that Matthews or Posey would have been a nice add...  I don't agree that a trade deadline deal would have helped us.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I 100% agree with this.... but seriously - who was available that fills that role?  Guys are just spouting names because they are names...

EJ would have been a good pickup 2-3 years ago...  SJ Green is under contract - why would Popp leave his young QB with literally no one to throw to?

I fully agree that Matthews or Posey would have been a nice add...  I don't agree that a trade deadline deal would have helped us.. 

We aren't looking for a guy to be a contributer next year or 2 years from now, just a guy to ride out the rest of the season with and maybe playoffs. Jackson or Greene woulda been perfect for that role assuming they came cheap. 32? big deal, they are still effective veteran players you can plug in and get some of that veteran presence with. 

55 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Grabbing a veteran receiver was a must. This is the freaking CFL, draft picks are nothing more than magic beans. Ship a spare one off and show some balls in trying to go in all-out mode. 

Walters inability to find American receivers is going to be his downfall in the CFL, imo

While i agree we should have added a veteran receiver I don't think that CFL draft picks are nothing more than magic beans.  But for a 3rd or 4th round pick i think it would have been worth it to get a guy like SJ Green. However, if the asking price was a 1st or 2nd i wouldn't have agreed with it.

I don't think its board members going nuts, its board members expressing frustration that other teams make moves to improve be it a deal at the deadline, the signing of a player back from the NFL or an in season signing of a player who has an impact and we do none of those things and instead talk about how we like our team and basically have a if you're in camp with us, you stay the entire year mentality.

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Nichols wasn’t the reason we lost 2 playoff games with him at QB;

2017 - 35 out of 48 attempts. 72.92% for 371 yards 3 TDs 0 ints.

2016 - 26 of 40 attempts  65% for 390 yards 2 TDs 0 ints 

Those numbers are very good.

Great post. Nichols has come to play come playoff time. Not his fault our defense has not. 

20 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This board has gone nuts... Dunk reported that Argos were not trading SJ Green - teams had asked...  then he got a concussion on top of that...

As for EJ - if you want a guy who catches 60% of balls thrown his way, we should trade for Bowman then - he's a 'vet presence'

But with EJ, for some reason, change of scenery (ie anything but Montreal) might ignite him. Never really got that feeling with Bowman.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I just don't understand the contortions here to justify signing average vet receivers.... we JUST went thru the Bowman experiment... we have Dressler, Adams and Harris for vet leadership

And Adams being a leader is a problem. Guy has been questionable with his effort from day 1. We have Dressler as a real vet in the receiving corps and that's it. He's out it's a serious lack of it.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

And Adams being a leader is a problem. Guy has been questionable with his effort from day 1. We have Dressler as a real vet in the receiving corps and that's it. He's out it's a serious lack of it.

So Andrew Harris is not a vet leadership presence...?