Thanksgiving Football

Atomic

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

That was the rumour... BC was going to offer him a boat load of cash...  I think his family still lives in BC also.

His Mom & Dad  live in Montana. I believe in Kalispell. They drive the 800 klm to every Esks home game. If he went to the Lions his parents would have further to go. Be interesting how this plays out. Scary to think what Reilly could do with Burnham & Arceneaux as his receivers. 

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

His Mom & Dad  live in Montana. I believe in Kalispell. They drive the 800 klm to every Esks home game. If he went to the Lions his parents would have further to go. Be interesting how this plays out. Scary to think what Reilly could do with Burnham & Arceneaux as his receivers. 

Probably about the same as he has done with Williams and Walker.

7 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

"Matt has won us a lot of football games"

The thing that annoys me about him saying that is, when they lose...it's never "this player" lost us the game etc etc...but matt has won a bunch of games? Don't get me wrong. I'm a Nichols fan. But he doesn't win or lose alone. MOS won't ever say an individual lost the game...and for good reason...but then, why talk about how Matt has won a bunch of games...?

34 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The thing that annoys me about him saying that is, when they lose...it's never "this player" lost us the game etc etc...but matt has won a bunch of games? Don't get me wrong. I'm a Nichols fan. But he doesn't win or lose alone. MOS won't ever say an individual lost the game...and for good reason...but then, why talk about how Matt has won a bunch of games...?

Prob cuz our record the last 5 years is riduculous without Nichols. 

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

So you are ok with the 440 Nichols makes? 

....yes....you know he signed that contract before Streveler came along right?

His situation is...if bombers were looking for a new qb...trying out a young and cheap qb who has shown flashes could be better then chasing a high priced vet that will likely have a few teams chasing.

26 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

....yes....you know he signed that contract before Streveler came along right?

His situation is...if bombers were looking for a new qb...trying out a young and cheap qb who has shown flashes could be better then chasing a high priced vet that will likely have a few teams chasing.

I know when he signed.  I was just wondering your thought process on it.  Thanks.  

58 minutes ago, Ripper said:

are you ok with Collaro's 450?

Nichols is middle tier in terms of salary for starting QB's in the league and was a bargain....other than his 4 game funk when I think he was still hindered by injury and trying to do too much for compensating for it.

Collaro's is pulling in top 2..or 3 in salary and in no way is worth it...or earning it...a lot of money tied up in a guy who most likely has seen better days and no real legit prospect/back-up behind him may make it difficult to upgrade that position..especially if you guys stick with him thinking that he is the reason for your current success...which he isn't

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

He got the Bombers back to a respectable level I suppose...... as for what each player is worth specificly that is beyond my armchair capabilities to comment on.  If Matt would have gained a playoff win or two the last couple years my guess is he would have been totally worth his salary no doubt (?)....

but like Booch asked, is Collaros worth his wage ?.....maybe I can armchair this stuff after all...cause collaros is way worse a QB than what Matty is right now...

12 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If Matt would have gained a playoff win or two the last couple years my guess is he would have been totally worth his salary no doubt (?)....

By your horribly flawed logic, other high salaried players on this team aren't worth their salaries, either - because they didn't win in the playoffs. That's not how it works, though. How many more times do you have to trot out that invalidated narrative? A win is a team accomplishment and while Nichols has been terrible to mediocre at best this season, he did more than enough in 2016 and 2017 to contribute to this team's success, especially in the playoffs.

You seem to ignore the stats whenever they're posted, so here they are again: 2 GP, 61/88 (69.3 COMP%), 761 yards (380.5 YPG), 5 TDs. From an individual standpoint, those are the kinds of numbers you need from a QB come playoff time. 

Furthermore, had he maintained his level of play from the previous two seasons (among the best pivots in the league), he'd certainly be earning his salary in 2018. But the reality is not the case and the WFC will have a hard decision to make looking ahead to 2019.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

By your horribly flawed logic, other high salaried players on this team aren't worth their salaries, either - because they didn't win in the playoffs. That's not how it works, though. How many more times do you have to trot out that invalidated narrative? A win is a team accomplishment and while Nichols has been terrible to mediocre at best this season, he did more than enough in 2016 and 2017 to contribute to this team's success, especially in the playoffs.

You seem to ignore the stats whenever they're posted, so here they are again: 2 GP, 61/88 (69.3 COMP%), 761 yards (380.5 YPG), 5 TDs. From an individual standpoint, those are the kinds of numbers you need from a QB come playoff time. 

Furthermore, had he maintained his level of play from the previous two seasons (among the best pivots in the league), he'd certainly be earning his salary in 2018. But the reality is not the case and the WFC will have a hard decision to make looking ahead to 2019.

I personally feel that winning is a team accomplishment.......but I also believe that those who handle the ball more also shoulder more of the responsibility....... plus I get confused when O'Shea states that, "Matt Nichols has won us a bunch of games ".. why doesn't he just say the team has won a bunch with Matt at the controls ? 

yeh those numbers look okay in hindsight......but the fact was he needed to do more to help the team win...

the decision may not be that hard if Bennett and Big Chris step up 

I figure if Nichols performs back to where he was previously and gets us in the play-offs, and does well to give us the chance to win (can't fault him if he puts up 30+ points..no turnovers, yet the defense drops the ball) and has his mojo back in doing it , then there is no reason to have him back at TC...but it should be an open competition with him and Streveler, and the starter should be named after TC based on who looked the best, and gives the offense the best chance to be productive...past performance/tenure/loyalty should be tossed out window and we have to roll with who outright wins it.

If Nichols is a 440k back-up...so be it as Strev's entry level contract salary and Nichols salary would be the same toward the cap regardless and what better option to have on the bench is a guy like Nichols if Streveler gets hurt, or struggles. Off-season of 2019 is when the hard decisions will have to be made in terms of QB is Streveler proves in year 2 he is the real thing..I think he is so will be interesting to see how it plays out