Game Day Thread- Week Seventeen, GAME 15: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ REDBLACKS October 5th, 2018

You can tell the professionalism of the broadcasters on TSN in last night’s game when, in overtime, in a critical marking of the ball on the sidelines, Rod and Duane did not even address this weird ball placement, but rather talked about how long the overtime was. They did not even mention O’Shea talking to the sideline official in disbelief. This was on 3rd down and the ball placement was important, but no, it was a long OT. 

You have to notice things like that..

Just now, Mr Dee said:

You can tell the professionalism of the broadcasters on TSN in last night’s game when, in overtime, in a critical marking of the ball on the sidelines, Rod and Duane did not even address this weird ball placement, but rather talked about how long the overtime was. They did not even mention O’Shea talking to the sideline official in disbelief. This was on 3rd down and the ball placement was important, but no, it was a long OT. 

Rod Black is such a turd.

Anyway, I'm glad they got the win. That collapse late in the game shouldn't have happened, though. Too many of those under Hall's tenure as DC, IMO.

Adam Bighill needs to be kept long-term. He and Santos-Knox are an awesome tandem.

Good character game for this team..to control the game only to blow it at end...yet have the ability to overcome and win in O.T and not cave in is a good sign.

Also..T.O pretty much has to win out and we lose the rest of games to not cross over..dont see that happening and an Esks win and us beating sask next week really makes it interesting 

6 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

I agree. I'd really like to see the angle that the CC had to overturn the call yet they couldn't find an angle to prove the Adam's catch was indeed a legal catch.

There wasn't any. Yet there was Duane Forde going on & on about inconclusiveness on the Adams catch. What was the difference between that & the Ellingson catch? Just a whole bunch of incompetents running the CFL officiating.  Having video reviews just shows even more incompetence.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There wasn't any. Yet there was Duane Forde going on & on about inconclusiveness on the Adams catch. What was the difference between that & the Ellingson catch? Just a whole bunch of incompetents running the CFL officiating.  Having video reviews just shows even more incompetence.

A slow drawn out incompetence

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The inconsistency of the officiating this season has been disgusting. The league touted the whole "eye in the sky" BS but is it ever used?

The CFL has a long, long way to go before it even gets competent officiating. It's something Ambrosie needs to take a hard look at sooner than later and make some actual improvements.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The inconsistency of the officiating this season has been disgusting. The league touted the whole "eye in the sky" BS but is it ever used?

The CFL has a long, long way to go before it even gets competent officiating. It's something Ambrosie needs to take a hard look at sooner than later and make some actual improvements.

He's in Mexico being wined & dined by some Senior Men's league & too busy there to worry about officiating. 

33 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

They did a lot of weird stuff last night. Rod Blacks enthusiasm for Ottawa first downs compared to the Bombers getting a first down was ridiculously noticeable. And went on all game.  

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

Someone needs to tell those refs to let the play continue on close calls that could be turnovers. A couple of "incompletions" for Harris where the ball appeared to be a lateral and the potential fumble ruled incomplete in the 4th Q. Turnovers get automatic review so if it's close let the play continue and the let the command centre review it and get it right.

I hate this logic - isn't this why the challenge system is in place? The ref should make the call based on what they see. They'll  sometimes make bad/incorrect calls but you have to be able to trust your officiating staff.. having refs unnecessarily rule plays as turnovers (or as scoring plays) because they aren't confident in their own abilities does only one thing - slow the game down. Not only that - relying on command centre to make the right call has proven to be just as much of a coin flip as on-field officiating.

The answer is to get better refs by improving training.

Watching that obvious bungled spot in front of O'Shea and the restraint he used has gathered a little more respect from me for him as a head coach...IF Mike was a player and the player that he used to be, I think that ref. would have been the next thing to being skinned alive....The old O'Shea was a storming monster for T.O. when he thought his team was...let's say 'put upon'...He was tossed on occasion, as I remember ,and picked up a few roughing calls in his day BUT not the O'Shea of today....I can't explain his demeanour and the change from player to the coach he is now, but last night it served him and the club well for his restraint on dealing with that very bad call...Especially at that point in the game when it could have proven to be very costly ...After saying all of that, I wish I could see the 'old' O'Shea ,at some point in time during the season, I wish he would show a little more emotion and strip the hide off of someone in situations like that...HOWEVER..throwing his hands up in disgust and walking away was the way to go, and probably for the best, as it ended well for us....disaster averted

3 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

We were out for dinner last night so I PVR'd the game and started watching it once I knew the outcome.  I'm glad you noticed it too because I rewatched the linesman over and over again and he initially makes the mark with his foot and then lifts it and moves it about 6 to 8 inches up the field.  You can even see him take a look at the  sideline to see where the first down marker is.  That's the most emotion I've seen from Osh in awhile. 

I saw it again this morning. The first spot that the ref put his foot down was short. It was also not where the ball was when the ball carrier went out of bounds. The second mark was closer to the right spot. If the Eye In The Sky looked at it, they probably would have agreed with the corrected spot instead of the original spot.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

It's not fun doing anything sick but lots of people do it every day with a lot worse illnesses than a cold. Whatever.

Right?!!!?! People with the flu are running around and taking hits every day. 

I appreciated the tweet because it showed team spirit and camaraderie. 

You didn’t see that way - I’ll move on. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Yes, I know. People with the flu are running around and taking hits every day. 

I appreciated the tweet because it showed team spirit and camaraderie. 

You didn’t see that way - I’ll move on. 

i285134164444868206._szw480h1280_.jpg

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Watching that obvious bungled spot in front of O'Shea and the restraint he used has gathered a little more respect from me for him as a head coach...IF Mike was a player and the player that he used to be, I think that ref. would have been the next thing to being skinned alive....The old O'Shea was a storming monster for T.O. when he thought his team was...let's say 'put upon'...He was tossed on occasion, as I remember ,and picked up a few roughing calls in his day BUT not the O'Shea of today....I can't explain his demeanour and the change from player to the coach he is now, but last night it served him and the club well for his restraint on dealing with that very bad call...Especially at that point in the game when it could have proven to be very costly ...After saying all of that, I wish I could see the 'old' O'Shea ,at some point in time during the season, I wish he would show a little more emotion and strip the hide off of someone in situations like that...HOWEVER..throwing his hands up in disgust and walking away was the way to go, and probably for the best, as it ended well for us....disaster averted

Well, for one Osh is older & more mature. He may be emotionally involved in the game still on the sidelines but he's not physically involved so that would ratchet a lot of his emotional reactions down more than a few notches. Now, he's a coach & if he loses it on the sidelines constantly then so will his players so he needs to keep his composure.

Look at all the trouble the Esks players had with penalties when Jason Maas would go off on some inanimate object like his headset or Gatorade container when he threw his tantrums. The Esks are still dealing with that as a team because Maas ingrained it in their team culture. It was okay for him to go off & so too then  his players as well. Just because Maas said he's a changed man doesn't mean his team will buy into being disciplined right away. It'll take time. This is what happens when assistant coaches who aren't ready are hired as head coaches  based on a couple of seasons of success. They haven't totally figured it out yet. It takes a few years of being in charge to finally get it. Some do & some don't. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Here's the shitty TSN camera work on the Ellingson catch. I've looked at this frame by frame and you can clearly see the ball on the ground and get scooped up again. 

noncatch.gif

59 minutes ago, J5V said:

Here's the shitty TSN camera work on the Ellingson catch. I've looked at this frame by frame and you can clearly see the ball on the ground and get scooped up again. 

noncatch.gif

You sure that's not his hand underneath that the ball bounces up from?

40 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The tip of the ball clearly hit the ground. He had his hands around it too but the tip touched ground. Honestly I amnok with that being ruled a catch but the one they ruled incomplete for Adam's should have been a catch too so in the context of that inconsistency it's annoying and shitty reffing.

I agree.

It’s the catch where Harris threw a wobbler that floated over the defender’s head and Ellingson had two hands on it but the tip of the ball clearly hit the turf when he came down, allowing even more security for the catch.

Adam’s catch was ground bound too, so where’s the consistency?

I didn’t think they would rule Ell’s catch a catch. 

They say he had more control of the ball, but really, who’s to judge that? If the ball hits the turf, it hits the turf, and judgment shouldn’t be involved in determining a catch like that.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

noncatch.jpg

That ball is on the ground. You can see Ellingson's gloved hand on top to the right. His helmet on the ground to the left. I don't see any white gloved hand underneath. That's called not surviving contact with the ground. No catch.

Nocatch2.jpg

Edited by J5V

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

TSN doesn't care or they'd have replaced both of them a long time ago. They have no competition. It seems the only money they spend is on the panel & Milt's suits.

Was watching the game on mute on my phone. When I had the opportunity to turn up the volume and I heard the unmistakable voice of Rod Black, I instantly turned the volume back down and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the game. There is no excuse for his play by play other than possibly brain damage so maybe we shouldn’t make fun of him.