Game Day Thread- Week Seventeen, GAME 15: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ REDBLACKS October 5th, 2018

11 hours ago, Doublezero said:

He missed a catch in OT and tipped it up. Very lucky it wasn't picked or that would have snuffed the drive and virtually ended it for Winnipeg.

He has a habit of untimely fumbles and tips for picks.

Demski, on balance, is more of a liability than an asset.

If we are using "balance" to measure then why is Nichols still playing lol.

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Never quite understood this sort of black/white thinking.  A good team protects a lead. Sure it does, but then again, a good team overcomes a deficit too.  Ottawa players are pros too.  They're paid to make plays.  What we saw last night was a good offence (Ottawa) do it's best to claw its way back into the lead.  But ultimately, they fell short.  Two sets of pros, each side doing its best to win.  We won.  We beat a team, that going into the game, had a better record than us and (for those who find this stuff so important) a team above 50%.

Long and the short is that the Bombers built up a lead, fought against a good team that was fighting hard to come back and ALMOST did, but in the end, WE WON.

Other than the "we have to find fault with everything and everyone Bombers" people here, we can look at this game as a hard fought win.  I like wins.  Good job Blue!

I can agree with most of what you say - however I would rather have a defense that can protect a lead. And I agree Ottawa has a good team and fought back hard. And the 2 points is 2 points regardless of how it is achieved. I am just not sold on the Richie Hall defense and have not been sold on him for 5 years now. When his defense can protect a lead and play at the level they did against Edmonton game in game out - he will make a believer out of me.

8-7 after starting the season with our starting QB on the shelf isn’t a terrible record (especially when you look league wide).  

Sure there are a few warts and I’m far from satisfied with the compete level, the consistency and performance week in, week out but I’ll take it.

Just have to get to the dance. After that anything can happen.

1 hour ago, BBRT said:

I can agree with most of what you say - however I would rather have a defense that can protect a lead. And I agree Ottawa has a good team and fought back hard. And the 2 points is 2 points regardless of how it is achieved. I am just not sold on the Richie Hall defense and have not been sold on him for 5 years now. When his defense can protect a lead and play at the level they did against Edmonton game in game out - he will make a believer out of me.

What defence in the history of the league has ever held teams to 3 points or less game in and game out ? That's a tall order or very very high expectations.

13 hours ago, bustamente said:

HE literally marked the ball backwards and then took a yard step forward and remarked the ball, MOS even reenacted the spot to the head ref who had no idea what was going on

That was insane and totally embarrassing for the league. You could read O'Shea's lips as he stared wild-eyed at the bogus spot of the ball and kept saying "Oh my God! Oh my God!!"

56 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Did we just beat the 1st place team in the East? 

The last two weeks we handled the no 2 team in the west and the best team in the east. We could still possibly host a home play off game. 1 more win and we are very likely to cross over two more wins and we are sure to make the play offs. 

4 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

On the second last offensive series by the Bombers. It's quite clear that one of the Ottawa defenders went offside not once but twice and no call.   I know missed calls go both ways but these ones seemed to come just when the redblacks needed them.  

I've been down this road before and had people in this very forum ***** and moan about it. "The calls even out". I thought I was right then and I believe you're right now.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Apparently some people this find this funny - I guess you never get sick...

It's not fun doing anything sick but lots of people do it every day with a lot worse illnesses than a cold. Whatever.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The point being they adjusted from a poor start. At the end of the game there was one key thing working against them.... ottawa was playing 3 down football. When the other team makes plays it's easier for them to keep going when they can take 3 tries to get 10 yards. Then throw in some bs spots and a db falling down and **** happens. It's the CFL. Bombers picked up a team win. All phases needed to contribute to that win and they did. We should be happy, but apparently some people would rather botch about it.

Who isn't happy? Every poster in here is happy to get the W. Don't you understand that you can be happy with a win and still see room for improvement?

1-kt9P18oxMXYWUgD-xj0wlg.jpeg

Edited by J5V

This was a classic CFL game. Lots of offence, lots of points.  Our D wasn’t lights out invincible like last game, but still managed impressive stretches mid-game where they iced T.Harris and Powell repeatedly.  Also bailed out the O on the fumbles and bad snaps by holding the all-caps to field goals.

Sure it was frustrating to watch the lid come off of Ottawa’s potent quick-strike O at the end, but those guys are elite at times (I’m sure R-B fans can’t stand the streakiness of their team).  Like I said, classic CFL game.

The refs were busy and jobbed the Bombers on wrong calls, non calls, and ridiculous spots.  But overall the Bombers played way cleaner than Ottawa and the penalty yardage bears that out.

It was great to see Nichols much more back to his old self, especially at this time of year.  A win like this sets us up for more than just revenge against Sask next week.  Feeling good about this victory warts and all.

Edited by BigBlueFanatic
Took autocorrect out behind the woodshed

33 minutes ago, J5V said:

That was insane and totally embarrassing for the league. You could read O'Shea's lips as he stared wild-eyed at the bogus spot of the ball and kept saying "Oh my God! Oh my God!!"

We were out for dinner last night so I PVR'd the game and started watching it once I knew the outcome.  I'm glad you noticed it too because I rewatched the linesman over and over again and he initially makes the mark with his foot and then lifts it and moves it about 6 to 8 inches up the field.  You can even see him take a look at the  sideline to see where the first down marker is.  That's the most emotion I've seen from Osh in awhile. 

Someone needs to tell those refs to let the play continue on close calls that could be turnovers. A couple of "incompletions" for Harris where the ball appeared to be a lateral and the potential fumble ruled incomplete in the 4th Q. Turnovers get automatic review so if it's close let the play continue and the let the command centre review it and get it right.