Game Day Thread- Week Seventeen, GAME 15: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ REDBLACKS October 5th, 2018

13 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

To call the O really good is a stretch. Full marks for 8 pts in OT and, thankfully, no picks in 60+ minutes. That is a classic ball control O as evidenced by TOP. But you shouldn't have to rely on Harris for 164 yds. You shouldn't have to have Medlock kick 6 FG. Nichols averaged under 10 yards per throw. Put another way, his longest throw was 19. All told they were good. Better than they have been. But they have to be better than that to be really good IMHO.

(Face Palm)

That statement right there proves one or all of the below:

a) You are a Rider fan

b) You are a troll

c) You know nothing about football

d) all of the above

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read on here since Nasty Nate left for parts unknown.

33 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just watched the game. Someone explain the Ellingson catch please, because to me that was a trap.

I feel like the D stopped them twice with the game on the line, only for the refs to take it away.

What about the Ellingson catch where there was no conclusive evidence that he caught the ball inbounds yet the CC ruled it a catch? No way there was proof his foot was inbounds so it should have stayed a non catch. There was no clear view that showed his foot was inbounds. The CFL just looks so foolish.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

(Face Palm)

That statement right there proves one or all of the below:

a) You are a Rider fan

b) You are a troll

c) You know nothing about football

d) all of the above

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read on here since Nasty Nate left for parts unknown.

You forgot to add the option for hardcore Richie Hall apologist.

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Disagree all you like, but in the middle of the game the D did a real good job.

I can’t disagree with the assertion that they played well “in the middle of the game.” At the same time, I must point out that it is sort of an amusing assertion.

By your own reckoning, there are three parts to the game: a beginning, middle, and end. The defence played poorly in two of these parts and when they needed to make a stop - twice - at the end of regulation, absolutely couldn’t.

Even the stop in OT was a bit lucky. If not for the ref buying our guy’s embellishment, that 15 yarder is not assessed against Ottawa. It very much looked like they were going into score again before bighill makes his big play.

don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled that they won. I feel happy this morning. I just don’t think you can get too excited about that defensive performance.

last week? For sure, but not last night.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

7 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just watched the game. Someone explain the Ellingson catch please, because to me that was a trap.

I feel like the D stopped them twice with the game on the line, only for the refs to take it away.

Refs and the command center tried to help the RedBlacks win that game. Good thing key players made plays in the end.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What about the Ellingson catch where there was no conclusive evidence that he caught the ball inbounds yet the CC ruled it a catch? No way there was proof his foot was inbounds so it should have stayed a non catch. There was no clear view that showed his foot was inbounds. The CFL just looks so foolish.

I agree. I'd really like to see the angle that the CC had to overturn the call yet they couldn't find an angle to prove the Adam's catch was indeed a legal catch.

7 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

On the second last offensive series by the Bombers. It's quite clear that one of the Ottawa defenders went offside not once but twice and no call.   I know missed calls go both ways but these ones seemed to come just when the redblacks needed them.    

9 hours ago, Doublezero said:

To call the O really good is a stretch. Full marks for 8 pts in OT and, thankfully, no picks in 60+ minutes. That is a classic ball control O as evidenced by TOP. But you shouldn't have to rely on Harris for 164 yds. You shouldn't have to have Medlock kick 6 FG. Nichols averaged under 10 yards per throw. Put another way, his longest throw was 19. All told they were good. Better than they have been. But they have to be better than that to be really good IMHO.

Say what? 

That's like saying the Esks shouldn't rely on Reilly, or the Redblacks shouldn't rely on Ellingson

We'd be screwed if Harris went down, but most other teams are in the same boat.  

Also, you may want to check the CFL stats - every QB averages less than 10 yards per completion.

More TDs would be great, so they could put games away sooner.  BUT, this game was put away, with 3 minutes left.

10 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Why wouldnt we rely on Harris? Hes getting paid to make plays. 

1 hour ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

I can’t disagree with the assertion that they played well “in the middle of the game.” At the same time, I must point out that it is sort of an amusing assertion.

By your own reckoning, there are three parts to the game: a beginning, middle, and end. The defence played poorly in two of these parts and when they needed to make a stop - twice - at the end of regulation, absolutely couldn’t.

Even the stop in OT was a bit lucky. If not for the ref buying our guy’s embellishment, that 15 yarder is not assessed against Ottawa. It very much looked like they were going into score again before bighill makes his big play.

don’t get me wrong. I am thrilled that they won. I feel happy this morning. I just don’t think you can get too excited about that defensive performance.

last week? For sure, but not last night.

The point being they adjusted from a poor start. At the end of the game there was one key thing working against them.... ottawa was playing 3 down football. When the other team makes plays it's easier for them to keep going when they can take 3 tries to get 10 yards. Then throw in some bs spots and a db falling down and **** happens. It's the CFL. Bombers picked up a team win. All phases needed to contribute to that win and they did. We should be happy, but apparently some people would rather botch about it.

We're getting there....quite a turn around from the first game we played the two colours.....Matt looked to regain some of his confidence level and considering he was playing with a flu like symptom...gotta give him full credit....Bighill came up with the play of the game with that strip on Sinopoli and Dressler was buzzing all over the place and looked like the Dress of old...The offence is finally figuring it out and spreading the ball around to a lot of different receivers..great to see...Adams looked like his old self and I'm really starting to like this Wolitarsky kid in the clutch...The only real concern was the tendency for the D to fade in the late going...I don't know what it is but it seems like the defence has a timer on it and when the bell rings it's time to play silly buggers and go into a funk...That has to end and a full four quarters is going to be needed from here on in…. So bring on the green guys...I think we have a little score to settle and a good arse whoopin is in order

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why wouldnt we rely on Harris? Hes getting paid to make plays. 

Harris had an outstanding game: 132 rushing and 163 total. You can't expect that level of production out of him on a regular basis - or even that many touches. You'd be over-reliant on your tailback. He had just over 100 yards in the prior 3 games combined.

Just now, Doublezero said:

Harris had an outstanding game: 132 rushing and 163 total. You can't expect that level of production out of him on a regular basis - or even that many touches. You'd be over-reliant on your tailback. He had just over 100 yards in the prior 3 games combined.

The whole CFL knows, that this offense is built around Andrew Harris.

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sure but when they break back towards their own line of scrimmage they have a huge advantage.  That's Canadian football, the offense has a huge advantage with unlimited motion.  You can cover off short routes and see if you get beat deep or lean more on the deep routes and come up to make plays on the ball and tackles.  Most teams choose the latter because they don't want to give up multiple 70 yard plays every game.

And if I got this right, then Hall chooses the latter as well right (?)....   so he would be co-ordinating like the majority..