The Weather

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I was saying to a few people today, Mother Nature owes you one of those amazing summers where it's hot and sunny for 3 or 4 months and you can spend epic days at the beach/cottage. 

There is nothing better than a great Manitoba/NW Ont summer.... 

It is getting harder for me to want to stay here. I look at the April that Kelowna has had it certainly offsets the August smoke. I could likely give up the yard and space in the house for a condo and the beach and outdoors. Neither the wife or I would even need to change jobs to do it. 

12 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

It is getting harder for me to want to stay here. I look at the April that Kelowna has had it certainly offsets the August smoke. I could likely give up the yard and space in the house for a condo and the beach and outdoors. Neither the wife or I would even need to change jobs to do it. 

Understandable.

10 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

At this point we are here because my wife’s parents are elderly and need our help sometimes. 

Leaving Bomber season tickets behind and some of the concerts and other great thing Winnipeg gets would be a struggle. 

We moved to just south of Calgary to see our grandkids grow up and for the better (theoretically) weather. We found that it was more expensive to live there, and the warmer weather produced a lot of icy sidewalks where the wife slipped and fell, breaking her wrist. But most of all, we missed the blue-collar attitude of Winnipeg, the friends we had and the easy familiarity of living in a well-known community. Hell I missed all the trees and seeing clouds- the view of the mountains was nice but seeing the grass turning brown by the end of July was weird.

The moves cost us a lot, but the relief we felt when we spent the first night and woke up in the morning in our Manitoba home was palpable. We found out that the imagining of a better place can be more a fantasy than a reality. We are home now.

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

We moved to just south of Calgary to see our grandkids grow up and for the better (theoretically) weather. We found that it was more expensive to live there, and the warmer weather produced a lot of icy sidewalks where the wife slipped and fell, breaking her wrist. But most of all, we missed the blue-collar attitude of Winnipeg, the friends we had and the easy familiarity of living in a well-known community. Hell I missed all the trees and seeing clouds- the view of the mountains was nice but seeing the grass turning brown by the end of July was weird.

The moves cost us a lot, but the relief we felt when we spent the first night and woke up in the morning in our Manitoba home was palpable. We found out that the imagining of a better place can be more a fantasy than a reality. We are home now.

I hear what you are saying. That being said this winter has been hell on me, I’ve had three bad slip and falls walking the dog. A concussion that slowed me down for months and just this week a wrist injury that I initially thought might be broken but I think just a bad sprain. 

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

I hear what you are saying. That being said this winter has been hell on me, I’ve had three bad slip and falls walking the dog. A concussion that slowed me down for months and just this week a wrist injury that I initially thought might be broken but I think just a bad sprain. 

The waifu will not go out in cold weather without her cleat attachments for her shoes. She says they work like a hot damn.

11 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I fail to use them when I really should, but I have some pretty heavy duty ice fishing cleats that I use and have never come close to falling (when I'm smart enough to wear them - rarely). There's a few different kinds, my wife has a light duty set and that usually works well for her as well. Just gotta remember to take the extra 5 seconds to slip them on over your boots in the winter.

15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I fail to use them when I really should, but I have some pretty heavy duty ice fishing cleats that I use and have never come close to falling (when I'm smart enough to wear them - rarely). There's a few different kinds, my wife has a light duty set and that usually works well for her as well. Just gotta remember to take the extra 5 seconds to slip them on over your boots in the winter.

But but but...those are 5 seconds gone form your life that you will never get back. Besides, its not manly to wear cleats. Showing up at Emergency is much more manly.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

But but but...those are 5 seconds gone form your life that you will never get back. Besides, its not manly to wear cleats. Showing up at Emergency is much more manly.

After packing on a ton of winter clothes, I made the dumb decision to not wear them and barely be able to walk, more often than the smart decision. Walking around like a deer taking its first steps. Hopefully as I get older, I'll smarten up a bit.

Edited by WildPath

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I do need to consider this for next winter, normally I am on walking paths through the parks that don't ice up but will the amount of snow this year not enough people were walking those and they were difficult to navigate.

On 2022-04-24 at 8:47 PM, Tracker said:

The waifu will not go out in cold weather without her cleat attachments for her shoes. She says they work like a hot damn.

On 2022-04-25 at 8:12 AM, WildPath said:

Saw some IceTrax cleats on sale today and ordered them. Will just need to remember to take them off before coming in the house…

On 2022-04-25 at 8:47 AM, the watcher said:

One of the things I've noticed is alot of big winds the last few years. I'd like to know if that's just my imagination or if we are really getting more due to weather change.

I grew up in Winnipeg. We had wind back then as well. I used to walk to Churchill High & back 4 times a day. No matter the weather from grades 7-12. You just learn to walk backwards.