Chris Matthews signs with Stamps

trueBlue83

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think an experienced DC or OC can do a good job. I've mentioned Orlando Steinhauer before. I think he's been HC ready now for a couple of years. I think he would do a pretty good job. We'll see how things go this weekend.

steinhauer is a great candidate for a head coaching job. Between him and claybrooks id lean slightly to steinhauer. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

steinhauer is a great candidate for a head coaching job. Between him and claybrooks id lean slightly to steinhauer. 

So would I based on experience. My problem with Claybrooks is that he is recently retired. Shorter than Steinhauer. Yeah, it's been about 5 years but I think a quality coach has to gain experience coaching not only with his own team he's with but with others as well as Steinhauer has done. Claybrooks is with a top rate team as a Stampeder DC with literally a genius running the show in Hufnagel. He's a born executive, knows how to build a winning organization & to be honest how good would Claybrooks still be once he leaves the confines of the Stampeders? I think it would be a hard adjustment for him going from the Stamps to even a team like the Bombers that have a lot of the building blocks in place. he's also been recently diagnosed with diabetes which is a life changer. can he handle the stress of being HC so soon after dscovering he had the disease?

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So would I based on experience. My problem with Claybrooks is that he is recently retired. Shorter than Steinhauer. Yeah, it's been about 5 years but I think a quality coach has to gain experience coaching not only with his own team he's with but with others as well as Steinhauer has done. Claybrooks is with a top rate team as a Stampeder DC with literally a genius running the show in Hufnagel. He's a born executive, knows how to build a winning organization & to be honest how good would Claybrooks still be once he leaves the confines of the Stampeders? I think it would be a hard adjustment for him going from the Stamps to even a team like the Bombers that have a lot of the building blocks in place. he's also been recently diagnosed with diabetes which is a life changer. can he handle the stress of being HC so soon after dscovering he had the disease?

Agree on the stamps stuff. Best move for claybrooks is to hang out for a fist full of years and soak it in. For a guy like him it makes no sense to me to jump to a bottom feeder team rebuilding, or to a team like us that wont dedicate the time and resources like in a rebuild. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Agree on the stamps stuff. Best move for claybrooks is to hang out for a fist full of years and soak it in. For a guy like him it makes no sense to me to jump to a bottom feeder team rebuilding, or to a team like us that wont dedicate the time and resources like in a rebuild. 

I also think Claybrooks needs to go to another CFL team & also find success as he hasn't coached anywhere else with his limited experience. Then he'd be in a better situation & wiser as as Head Coach. But that's just me. I know some team like Montreal would snap him up in a n heartbeat. I keep waiting for MOS to show me he's the man who can bring us a championship. I want the guy to succeed, I really do but I just don't know if he's the guy to do it. I think we're spinning our wheels with him. He's not a bad coach buy hasn't shown he's a great one who is capable of winning a Grey Cup.  Maybe he also needs to  go elsewhere to find success as well.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎02 at 5:36 PM, wbbfan said:

We have repeatedly kept the likes of stankford over tj thorpe, martese jackson, givens, white, ricky collins, flanders, kenny stafford, and so on. 

What has Thorpe done in the CFL? Nothing since he requested his release after being a baby about getting put on the PR only to jump ship and end up on another team's PR. He isn't even in the league anymore. Jackson didn't accomplish much of anything until last season, a full two years after the Bombers released him. Does the team even need another tailback, anyway? Nope. Flanders can't even crack this roster on a regular basis. Givens didn't report to TC this year, so how's that on the Bombers? White was given a fair shake and couldn't crack the roster. He's caught a grand total of 3 passes since then. Stafford was also given an opportunity last season and he squandered it, much in the same way Bowman did this season.

Collins is the only player you listed on whom I think the Bombers missed the mark. He's been a good receiver and the Bombers should've kept him.

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The point named several guys at several positions who have been forced onto the roster at the cost of superior players. I wasnt saying lankford was here the entire time, I was saying we have always had some one like lankford, often multiple players like that forcing out better players. 

Look at all the talent we cut loose that continued to play well in the league after. Then look at how long lankford, for instance, has been here. Look at how many chances he has been given. Look at how few those other guys got. That, is the point. 

The thing is, other teams saw enough to give these guys more of a chance then we did and it worked out. A rookie having a poor mini-camp is hardly rush to judgment stuff imo. Thats why we have minicamp. Its to ease these guys into the transition to the cfl to improve the quality of TC. 

You can easily excuse one or two guys slipping through the cracks. But many, at several positions you cant. 

Thanks for clarifying but I still don't agree. Who else "like Lankford" did the team keep over "all the talent" they cut loose? Name some players actually contributing in the league at this very moment - and not ones who were released two or more years ago.

Substantiate your claim and make your case.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Maybe the point is that someone else should have been found/brought in/brought back better than the Lankford's of our PR when really they aren't good enough to get on the roster, and when they do...are very underwhelming

That's a better point than pretending there's been an exodus of great talent leaving to star elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Maybe the point is that someone else should have been found/brought in/brought back better than the Lankford's of our PR when really they aren't good enough to get on the roster, and when they do...are very underwhelming

That's what I've been thinking. I don't know why they continue to hold on to him...I guess at this time of year it doesn't matter too much. Ideally you'd like to have someone familiar with the system. But he was given an opportunity, then replaced by another PR player. And then when an opportunity came up again, had another PR player who has been here for less time step in. After Washington came in and showed he could produce a bit. I would have said thanks but on your way Lankford. And then brought in another prospect.

50 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's what I've been thinking. I don't know why they continue to hold on to him...I guess at this time of year it doesn't matter too much. Ideally you'd like to have someone familiar with the system. But he was given an opportunity, then replaced by another PR player. And then when an opportunity came up again, had another PR player who has been here for less time step in. After Washington came in and showed he could produce a bit. I would have said thanks but on your way Lankford. And then brought in another prospect.

Funny thing is, when Streveler was playing he seemed able to hit Lankford in stride for a TD. Nichols not so much.

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

Funny thing is, when Streveler was playing he seemed able to hit Lankford in stride for a TD. Nichols not so much.

Except that Strevler's TD to Lankford was essentially a trick play on short yardage. Any QB could make that throw. Not hard to find the receiver with one DB out there.

22 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Except that Strevler's TD to Lankford was essentially a trick play on short yardage. Any QB could make that throw. Not hard to find the receiver with one DB out there.

Nichols wishes he could throw half as well as Streveler. Actually, I don't know if there's anything Nichols does better than Streveler. Maybe reading D's but I don't know if Nichols is all that good at that even despite all his experience. Big waste not playing that kid this year IMO.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

and any receiver could have ran that route and made that play...I am a bit shocked that it was Lankford out for the pass as of the receivers on the roster for that game..he was by far the least reliable hands wise

Exactly. He's the fastest one out there which is all that route required. Lucky for us he caught it.

On 2018-10-05 at 8:59 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

What has Thorpe done in the CFL? Nothing since he requested his release after being a baby about getting put on the PR only to jump ship and end up on another team's PR. He isn't even in the league anymore. Jackson didn't accomplish much of anything until last season, a full two years after the Bombers released him. Does the team even need another tailback, anyway? Nope. Flanders can't even crack this roster on a regular basis. Givens didn't report to TC this year, so how's that on the Bombers? White was given a fair shake and couldn't crack the roster. He's caught a grand total of 3 passes since then. Stafford was also given an opportunity last season and he squandered it, much in the same way Bowman did this season.

Collins is the only player you listed on whom I think the Bombers missed the mark. He's been a good receiver and the Bombers should've kept him.

Thanks for clarifying but I still don't agree. Who else "like Lankford" did the team keep over "all the talent" they cut loose? Name some players actually contributing in the league at this very moment - and not ones who were released two or more years ago.

Substantiate your claim and make your case.

Brian brohm, nick grigsby, romby bryant, ejiro kuale, nuefeld, sam hurl x2, lin-j shell, addison richards, ryan smith, shologan, Macho harris, Rock carmichael, bowman etc, The list is soo ridiculously long I dont have to prove the point. It makes it self very clearly, only you seem to be clinging to the opposition of it, so reverse onus. 

hes kicked around and stuck with teams that had among the deepest wr talent in the league. 

Its almost like jacksons out put has scaled up with a drastic increase in play time and use hmmm... Hes primarily a return man. 

Givens didnt report to camp after awful miss management the previous year. 

White out played and performed bowman easily. Cant say he was given a fair shake in camps when the best player doesnt win a spot at the position, see DL this tc. 

He was brought in, we threw to him what three times? Thats not an opportunity.

On 2018-10-05 at 11:34 AM, J5V said:

Streveler is pretty good in general with his ball placement. He gets a little wild trying to make things happen sometimes, but most of the time he tosses a very well located catchable ball and puts his guys in a position pick up yards after the catch. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Brian brohm, nick grigsby, romby bryant, ejiro kuale, nuefeld, sam hurl x2, lin-j shell, addison richards, ryan smith, shologan, Macho harris, Rock carmichael, bowman etc, The list is soo ridiculously long I dont have to prove the point. It makes it self very clearly, only you seem to be clinging to the opposition of it, so reverse onus. 

hes kicked around and stuck with teams that had among the deepest wr talent in the league. 

Its almost like jacksons out put has scaled up with a drastic increase in play time and use hmmm... Hes primarily a return man. 

Givens didnt report to camp after awful miss management the previous year. 

White out played and performed bowman easily. Cant say he was given a fair shake in camps when the best player doesnt win a spot at the position, see DL this tc. 

He was brought in, we threw to him what three times? Thats not an opportunity.

White had 3 brutal drops in the 2nd preseason game.  He played his way off the roster and into the final cuts.  He certainly didn't play well enough to surpass a veteran free agent signing.  If you think Bowman's spot was up for grabs in pre-season you are deluded.  White lost to Thompkins, rightfully so.  Hasn't done jack for the Argos either.

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

"Reverse onus..." LOL

That's not how burden of proof works. You made a claim and now can't even back it, instead choosing to make absurd reaches across an entire roster of players over several seasons. Epic job moving the goalposts of your already spurious claim. You fall back on Jackson yet again, but the reality was the team had better returners back then*. You even go so far as to make excuses for a player under contract (Givens) not showing up to camp and instead blame the organization. And the best part is you can't even name more than one player (Collins) the team cut loose who's having an impact in the league on another team right now, despite saying "look at all the talent we cut loose that continued to play well in the league after."

Logical fallacies for days.

* Troy Stoudermire in 2015 (http://cflstats.ca/player/7425/troy-stoudermire), Quincy McDuffie in 2016 (http://cflstats.ca/player/7705/quincy-mcduffie)

On 2018-10-08 at 3:09 PM, wbbfan said:

Streveler is pretty good in general with his ball placement. He gets a little wild trying to make things happen sometimes, but most of the time he tosses a very well located catchable ball and puts his guys in a position pick up yards after the catch. 

What I love about him is the pace he runs the offence at. Very quick. Tough for Ds to deal with.