Chris Matthews signs with Stamps

trueBlue83

we aren't in a cap crunch dilema...we just don't have a regime that can or know how to make big moves and adjust to make it work if need be...loyalty to second level players can only go so far until it's time to not be all nice and fuzzy anymore...we just dont have the stones to do it...and why we can't seem to get over the hump in the past 5 years

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

we aren't in a cap crunch dilema...we just don't have a regime that can or know how to make big moves and adjust to make it work if need be...loyalty to second level players can only go so far until it's time to not be all nice and fuzzy anymore...we just dont have the stones to do it...and why we can't seem to get over the hump in the past 5 years

agreed.  we've got an opportunity here to step up and be a contender with wounded opponents, and let a talent like Matthews slip through to the top team in the league.   bush league.

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

Loyalty programme at it's finest (or at it's worst) don't you know....even though the loyal people you have may be found wanting....This club seems to be blinded with loyalty....but hey..the players like it....I bet Matthews didn't even get a look 

Edited by Stickem

Walters has done a great job getting Canadian talent in here. He has also done a good job of getting free agents in here pre-season.

Having said that, he has a failing grade when it comes to bringing in talent mid-season, such as NFL players/ex-CFLers. I remember when the Bombers signed talent such as James West and Rod Hill.

This regime (and if this is O Shea's decision than the F goes on him) has greatly disappointed me on this Chris Matthews issue.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Why wouldn't this go in the existing thread about the 2018 season? 

and this is the reason there are very few people who post on this site... Can someone please explain why we have to search through 100 pages of content to get news about a 9 team league....

So many topics deserve their own thread, and might actually have some conversations going if they were visible by thread title.

5 minutes ago, Jerry1377 said:

and this is the reason there are very few people who post on this site... Can someone please explain why we have to search through 100 pages of content to get news about a 9 team league....

So many topics deserve their own thread, and might actually have some conversations going if they were visible by thread title.

Well, to be fair you wouldn't have had to. Generally the things being discussed in that particular thread are very current.

2 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Walters has done a great job getting Canadian talent in here. He has also done a good job of getting free agents in here pre-season.

Having said that, he has a failing grade when it comes to bringing in talent mid-season, such as NFL players/ex-CFLers. I remember when the Bombers signed talent such as James West and Rod Hill.

This regime (and if this is O Shea's decision than the F goes on him) has greatly disappointed me on this Chris Matthews issue.

Of course, I could be wrong , but I would have to think that at this time of the year, the head coach would be the guy to say what sort of talent they need and whether a certain player would be someone they acquire.  I just can't see a GM going out and pursuing a guy that the HC doesn't want. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Maybe it's a different world...  but it feels like the league has seen a massive drop off in NFL cuts that have come into the league mid season.... 

I don't understand how we have not had at least a handful of guys come in and try out at receiver?

need look no further than what a practice roster player up here makes.... that's a huge risk for a player to come up here if they wind up on the PR, and still have to pay the bills.  Not a great situation financially, thats for sure.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Maybe it's a different world...  but it feels like the league has seen a massive drop off in NFL cuts that have come into the league mid season.... 

I don't understand how we have not had at least a handful of guys come in and try out at receiver?

It seems to me that the type of guy we bring in after NFL cut down is the fringe young guy. Guys with tools but not a history of production. We seem to use our PR expansion as a chance to get an early look at guys for next years TC. The turnkey type of guys who have a chance to step in and really play at the pro level are few and far between. Givens, who didnt get much of a chance, white who was a bit of a victim to numbers, and thompkins. But even when we squeezed givens in (and others) we make such little use of them. 

Lets not forget, weve found guys that can play. But have habitually underused them and cut em. We have repeatedly kept the likes of stankford over tj thorpe, martese jackson, givens, white, ricky collins, flanders, kenny stafford, and so on. 

You can pick at that list. But stankford imo is worse then all of them. Our biggest problems are 1) not using talent well. We never ride the hot hand. A guy has a big game and we go away from him. We are limited on offense, the deep ball is not our friend that doesnt enable us to use it but also allows teams to cheat underneath. 2) not recognizing the talent in-house. See the list, + sam hurl kuale etc etc 3) We over emphasize the value of average quality STs. I get it, teams are important. They are not as important as O or D. And our teams are not as dramatically better as they should be for as much roster commitment as we make to them.

We have found the talent. We have not made use of it most of the time. And even when we do we dont use it optimally. We have not identified who is a higher teir talent in the guys we bring in. We have not developed guys. 

The entire coaching staff is at fault, none more then mos.  

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It seems to me that the type of guy we bring in after NFL cut down is the fringe young guy. Guys with tools but not a history of production. We seem to use our PR expansion as a chance to get an early look at guys for next years TC. The turnkey type of guys who have a chance to step in and really play at the pro level are few and far between. Givens, who didnt get much of a chance, white who was a bit of a victim to numbers, and thompkins. But even when we squeezed givens in (and others) we make such little use of them. 

Lets not forget, weve found guys that can play. But have habitually underused them and cut em. We have repeatedly kept the likes of stankford over tj thorpe, martese jackson, givens, white, ricky collins, flanders, kenny stafford, and so on. 

You can pick at that list. But stankford imo is worse then all of them. Our biggest problems are 1) not using talent well. We never ride the hot hand. A guy has a big game and we go away from him. We are limited on offense, the deep ball is not our friend that doesnt enable us to use it but also allows teams to cheat underneath. 2) not recognizing the talent in-house. See the list, + sam hurl kuale etc etc 3) We over emphasize the value of average quality STs. I get it, teams are important. They are not as important as O or D. And our teams are not as dramatically better as they should be for as much roster commitment as we make to them.

We have found the talent. We have not made use of it most of the time. And even when we do we dont use it optimally. We have not identified who is a higher teir talent in the guys we bring in. We have not developed guys. 

The entire coaching staff is at fault, none more then mos.  

He is a frustrating Head Coach.  I just don't know what to say anymore about the guy