TORONTO 3-9 @ CALGARY 10-2

Mr Dee

CFL-wide Highlights Heading Into Week #16:

OT Winning FGs: Last week BC's Ty Long made a 39-yard field goal to defeat Hamilton 35-32 in Overtime. In CFL history, 92 games have been won in OT since the 1986 rule change for regular season play - and of those 92, just 38 have been won with a field goal. 

Going to OT on a 2-Point Convert: In the 106 regular season Overtime games played since 1986 (92 wins, 14 ties), only THREE of them have ever been sent into OT by a game-tying 2-Point Convert, and just one on the very final play of regulation: 0.00 seconds J.Jennings 3-yard pass to B.Burnham

 Better Field Position wins 2 out of 3 times: Of the 57 games played in 2018, only 19 have been won by teams with poorer average starting Field Position; 38 have been won by the club with better starting points for their drives or 67% of the time.

Making more "big plays": In 2018, the team that has made even or more long-gainer, "big plays" has won the game 43 times out of 57 games. Only 14 times in 57 games has a team making fewer "big plays" won the game (just 24% of the time).

Lewis Ward 37 FGs in a row: Ward has not missed a FG attempt since the season opener and is now 40-for-41 97% with a streak of 37 makes in a row, the 2nd-longest streak ever made & longest within a single season. His 37 in a row is 2 back of Rene Paredes' 39 straight across 2012-13. Ward's 97.6% mark is ahead of the CFL record set by Paredes at 94.7% in 2013 (54-of-57).

 One more thing ...: After reaching 29 in a row in 2013, Rene Paredes had one blocked on July 20, 2013 by Montreal's John Bowman. By the rules of the day however (and that had been in place since 1967), no FG attempt was charged to Calgary since the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage. Paredes went on to extend his streak to 39 straight. 

👁‍🗨 I distinctly remember this game and how his streak was allowed to continue. I called bullshirt then. I’m glad they changed it, but Paredes still gets his streak.

The CFL changed the rule to start 2014 whereby any FG attempt that is blocked results in an 0-for-1 since a legal FG attempt was clearly attempted and was NOT successful. This rule will be re-visited in the 2018 off-season by our Rules Committee however with the proposal being that only the TEAM be charged with an attempt and NOT the kicker himself in these cases. This will permit the CFL to consider if Ty Long's current streak would still be deemed as being active (his only recent miss was blocked FG).

Marcus Thigpen multiple 80+ yard runs: Thigpen has now recorded two runs of 80+ yards this season - the first time in 24 years that a CFL player had more than one in a single season. The last was Cory Philpot in 1994 for BC with TD runs of 87 and 92 yards (Aug 11/94, Aug 27/94). Before that Jim Thomas 2 in 1965, Willie Fleming 2 in 1963 and Ed Buchanan 2 in 1962.

Other CFL-wide Trends Heading Into Week #16:

7 FGs in a game: Another aspect of Ward's outstanding season is that he has had two games of 7 FGs made including last week vs Saskatchewan. Ward joins only three other players to ever record TWO games of 7+ FGs made in the same year. In fact, Ward is the only one among the four kickers to be a perfect 7-for-7 in each game.

 Calgary in the playoffs?: The Stampeders can claim a playoff spot for a club record 14th consecutive season with a win this week. That would tie Ottawa (1956-69) for the 7th-longest streak in Canadian Football history.

West vs East: The West Division has clinched the series vs Eastern clubs with 22 interlocking wins to 11. That makes it 15 times in the last 17 years that the West has prevailed (2004 & 2015 the exceptions). The 4th and 5th place clubs in the West each have 6 wins and are currently in position to claim a Cross-Over berth for the third year in a row for the first time.

Mike Reilly 55 TD/ 5900+ yard Pace: Has accounted for 37 TDs this year, 26 passing/11 rushing. The CFL record for rushing TDs by a Quarterback is 14 by Doug Flutie (1991 BC) followed by Kerry Joseph (13, 2007) and Reilly himself at 12 last year. The combined pass/rush TD record is dominated by Flutie who has the 4 best years - 1994: 56 (48/8), 1993: 55 (44/11), 52 twice. Reilly is on pace for 55 combined TDs this year and a record 16 rushing TDs. His passing yard pace is for 5,914 yards.

CFL Game #67 Team Notes – Toronto at Calgary:

1-point games: Including last week, the Argos have now had 4 games this year where the final margin was just one point. They are 2-2 in one-point games in 2018 (3 of which were started by McLeod Bethel-Thompson) - the CFL record for most games decided by one point in a season is 6 by Ottawa in 1993 (2-4 record). 

The CFL record for WINS by one point in a single season was set by Winnipeg in 1961 with 4.

Fridays Off: This is the first time all season that the Stamps will be playing on a Friday night - they have just two Friday games in 2018 and 11 on Saturdays. This will be Toronto's 5th Friday Night Football event of 2018 - and all of them on the road.

Avoiding 5 losses in a row: The Argos are on a 4-game losing streak, the longest ever in a single season for Coach Marc Trestman. He had only two 3-game losing streaks for Montreal from 2008 to 2012, and now has three for Toronto across 2017-18. The last time the Argos lost at least 5 in a row was the final 7 games of 2016.

9 in a row: The Stampeders have won the last 9 games against Toronto - all starts for QB Bo Levi Mitchell who is 9-0 vs the Argos. In all but one of the 9 straight wins, Calgary has built at least a 14-point lead. None of the last 5 encounters have gone down to the last 3:00 and Calgary's average margin over those 5 games has been 22.6 points.

11-1 Off a Bye: Calgary comes in off a bye week to play Toronto - they are 11-1 in post-bye games since 2011. Before their 40-27 defeat at Regina on Aug 19/18 after Bye #2 in 2018, they last lost in 2005 after a week off.

Calgary T/O Ratio, +17 to -5: In their first 7 games they were at a +17 Ratio, #1 in the CFL; since then the Stamps are at -5.

 13 Toronto QB Sacks: With just 13 Sacks the Argos trail the rest of the CFL. They are on pace for 19 this year which would be the 2nd lowest recorded in CFL history.

 Bo Levi Mitchell pace: Mitchell is on pace to set a career-high with 5,445 passing yards this year. He is averaging 302.5 yards per game, second only to his 316.8 per game in 17 starts in 2016. He leads the CFL with a 3.00 to 1 TD Pass to Interception Ratio in 2018 however, the only downside being that 3 of his 9 INTs have been returned for 'pick 6's' in 2018.

Mitchell All-Time QB Win % / TD Pass Streak: Following Calgary's last win, Bo Levi Mitchell's career winning % is now 66-12-2 .838 with a 10-2 .875 mark in 2018. Mitchell's record as a starter at McMahon Stadium is even better at 37-4 .902. He also has an active 13-game TD pass streak back to 2017 (his career-long streak is 21). He now ranks #24 with 22,979 career passing yards with Danny Barrett next ahead at 23,419. He is on pace to reach the Top 20 by season's end.

 1st Down will be a key: This game features the club that has allowed the fewest average yards on 1st down plays (Calgary at just 5.5 yards) vs the club that allowed the most on average (Toronto at 7.7 yards). On Offence, Calgary is #2 averaging 7.2 yards on 1st down, Toronto #7 at 6.1 yards per play.

Singleton & Thurman: Singleton now has a CFL-best 79 tackles (tied for #1) but in 12 games has the highest season-long pace at 6.6 per game which would make for 118 by year's end. That would give him back-to-back 118+ tackle seasons. Jameer Thurman is #8 in the CFL with a career-high 77 Total Defensive Plays, already 4 more than in 2017 with 6 games left.

Romar Morris: Has scored 5 TDs in his last 2 games and rolled up 271 yards from scrimmage in the process.

S. J. Green: Recorded his 3rd game of 100+ yards last week with 6 catches for 106 yards. He now ranks #30 all-time with 8,804 yards and is in sight of the 9,000-yard mark (8,804). With 39 yards he can pass Ray Alexander (8,842) for #29 all-time.

McLeod Bethel-Thompson: Made his 6th straight start last week and set a career-high with 321 yards, his second 300+ game of the season.

James Wilder Jr.: Ranks #4 in the CFL in rushing with 665 yards on pace for just under 1,000 this season (997). His receiving yards picked up with 74 last week and his pace there is for 781 by the end of the year.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

50 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

S. J. Green: Recorded his 3rd game of 100+ yards last week with 6 catches for 106 yards. He now ranks #30 all-time with 8,804 yards and is in sight of the 9,000-yard mark (8,804). With 39 yards he can pass Ray Alexander (8,842) for #29 all-time.

McLeod Bethel-Thompson: Made his 6th straight start last week and set a career-high with 321 yards, his second 300+ game of the season.

James Wilder Jr.: Ranks #4 in the CFL in rushing with 665 yards on pace for just under 1,000 this season (997). His receiving yards picked up with 74 last week and his pace there is for 781 by the end of the year.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding Green's 100 yard games, amazing considering how bad the Argos are and how he's just come back from a nasty knee injury.

Regarding MBT, y'think he's being tutored by Ricky Ray? 

Regarding Wilder Jr., I still think he'd look good in blue and gold. In fact, I'd love to see him and Green come here in a package deal. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Regarding Green's 100 yard games, amazing considering how bad the Argos are and how he's just come back from a nasty knee injury.

Regarding MBT, y'think he's being tutored by Ricky Ray? 

Regarding Wilder Jr., I still think he'd look good in blue and gold. In fact, I'd love to see him and Green come here in a package deal. 

Green has little tread on his tires, Bethel-Thompson is a place holder, but Wilder is worth chasing, although he is an import.

Just now, Tracker said:

Green has little tread on his tires, Bethel-Thompson is a place holder, but Wilder is worth chasing, although he is an import.

I thought the same of Green but he surprised me this year. I'm undecided on MBT but if Ricky is teaching him the game, might be worth considering. Harris is getting older and as tough as he is, we'll have to move on at some point. I like Flanders but I'm not sure he is the future here.

Not saying Mcleod isn't any good, but

....not much of a find, if I knew about him five years ago.

He's been around for years.  two or three NFL teams, a few Canadian teams, hasn't stuck anywhere, this is is his first starting job, and he's thirty years old.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Its actually 2 300 yard games. I don't like his red zone issues personally. Also feel he's a journeyman having a career year. I could be wrong though.

Oh sorry four 290+ yard games... my bad 🙄

Journeyman with a career year is pretty much the definition of most successful CFL QBs ha...

I'm not sold on Toronto's receivers... and Tyler Holmes is getting abused tonight

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

How can they call that a catch on that interception? Rubber ball...it was rubbing the turf. That call, and the non-call on Lynch for offensive pass interference doesn’t look good on this officiating crew..and review.

He had his hands under (sort of) the ball. I think that's why they gave it to him.

8 hours ago, Mark F said:

Not saying Mcleod isn't any good, but

....not much of a find, if I knew about him five years ago.

He's been around for years.  two or three NFL teams, a few Canadian teams, hasn't stuck anywhere, this is is his first starting job, and he's thirty years old.

You knew about him when he was with the Vikings?

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Wow Toronto finally makes a play and then screws it up - this team looks like its preseason

Calgary just keeps pressure on you until you crack. Easily the best team in the league despite all their injuries.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Jeff Knox stops his own return guy...  

TO in freefall - Trestman and Popp did not build a good team...

Condell's star ain't so shiny any more... or maybe there's too many OCs on this team

Condell is Lapo2