BOMBERS -Playoffs - ESKIMOS Out

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

We got smashed in that game though. To me, the regrettable games are the ones that we could have won if not for one or two mistakes. The BC loss and the Banjo Bowl are at the top of that list for me.

Obviously, choking away a 17-point lead on the road was inexcusable, same with how poorly the offense performed in the Banjo Bowl, particularly at QB. That game vs. the RedBlacks as still an ugly and costly loss at home - that's why I mentioned it. They were thoroughly embarrassed up and down in that game. It also sparked that four-game slide.

With the Stamps, Eskimos and Riders all wilting in the stretch and the Lions highly questionable, if the Bombers can continue this level of play, there is a real possibility, the Bombers could come out of the West regardless. Crossing over would not be good for morale's sake, but only Hamilton on a good day could challenge the Bombers. That four-game losing skid came at a very bad time.

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

With the Stamps, Eskimos and Riders all wilting in the stretch and the Lions highly questionable, if the Bombers can continue this level of play, there is a real possibility, the Bombers could come out of the West regardless. Crossing over would not be good for morale's sake, but only Hamilton on a good day could challenge the Bombers. That four-game losing skid came at a very bad time.

Ottawa thrashed them once and played them to OT only a couple weeks ago... I fear Hamilton much less than Ottawa of the eastern teams. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ottawa thrashed them once and played them to OT only a couple weeks ago... I fear Hamilton much less than Ottawa of the eastern teams. 

Hamilton also thrashed us once and played us close another time. Honestly, all teams aside from Calgary appear to be on the same tier.

Edited by Blueandgold

14 hours ago, jazzsax said:

Honestly, depends what happens this week. 

Ideally if we want a guaranteed playoff spot we need Edmonton to lose this week, and we need to beat CGY. That happens we are in for sure. 

I have a funny feeling though everything will come down to the final week...

If the Bombers beat Calgary, the only way they cannot clinch a playoff spot is if we end up with the 4-teams tied at 10-8 scenario. With Edmonton and BC playing this weekend, either Edmonton will be 8-9 or BC will be 8-8 (assuming no tie), so a 10th Bomber win would ensure them either a better record than Edmonton or at worst the same record as BC (and we win the tiebreaker with BC based on winning the season series in point differential). Even if they tie, the Bombers would still have a better record than Edmonton provided we beat Calgary (at worst 10-8 vs 9-8-1). In fact, a BC win over Edmonton clinches them a playoff spot this weekend, but not us.

And if BC beats Edmonton and we have a 3-way tie at season's end, BC and Edmonton would get in based on head-to-head-to-head (this would require us to lose both of our last 2 games). If Edmonton wins and there is a 3-way (no snickering), then Edmonton and Winnipeg would get in. So all we really need to do is beat Calgary and avoid the Riders sliding back into a 4 way tie for 2nd.

34 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

In fact, a BC win over Edmonton clinches them a playoff spot this weekend, but not us.

When I first saw this, it didn't make any sense... they would still be behind us but clinch a playoff spot... but I realized a BC win guarantees that Edm can't pass them in the standings which guarantees some playoff spot for BC... it would sure look goofy in the standings like this:

Calgary*
Sask*
Winnipeg
BC*
Edmonton

*indicates playoffs clinched 

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It has never happened before. I find it hard to believe it will happen this year, but I suppose it's possible. Just think that it's unlikely for things to fall into place where all these western teams win the right combination of games to have someone by 9 wins and not make the playoffs. 

One of Edmonton or BC will fall off the pace. I really believe that this weeks Edmonton/BC game is the critical game of the season for those teams. 

Yeah, I'd hope.  It's just that Leos shock win in CGY is what I was saying about old Buono finding ways to steal wins he shouldn't get.

Tales of the wild Wild West:  As of Oct 19

*Calgary -    12-3          vs. Sask.              at Wpg.                 at BC

*Sask.    -     10-6          @  Calgary           vs BC                    Bye

Wpg     -      9-7.           Bye.                    vs Calgary,            at Edmonton 

*BC        -      9-7.                                      at Sask.                vs Calgary 

Edm.     -      8-9.                                      Bye.                      vs Wpg  

* Playoff teams

Edited by Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

If we lose to Calgary however then we are in what is essentially a one game playoff with Edmonton in the final game of the season where the winner makes the playoffs and the loser sees their season end, right?

Yep - only difference between a playoff game is that Bombers would get in if the EDM/WPG game ended in a tie (we would be 9-8-1, and EDM would finish 8-9-1).
As others have pointed out -  win/tie against Calgary or a win/tie against EDM clinches a playoff spot for us... basically we need 1 point in the next two games.

What I personally find disgusting is that the Western crossover team right now (BC: 9-7) has the same record as Ottawa (9-7) which is first in the east.

13 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

What I personally find disgusting is that the Western crossover team right now (BC: 9-7) has the same record as Ottawa (9-7) which is first in the east.

I think calling it disgusting is a little extreme.  Especially since the east has won a few cups the past few years haven't they ?

FWIW from 3Downnation:

"The Lions’ victory also gave the Bombers’ post-season hopes a massive boost: Winnipeg can now secure a post-season berth with at home against Calgary next week. They also hold the tie-breaker with B.C. on point differential and will finish ahead of them in the standings if they finish with the same record.

Winnipeg can also finish second in the West if Saskatchewan loses their two remaining games and the Bombers win out.

The big game on Saturday is the Calgary-Saskatchewan tilt. A win by the Stampeders and they win the West while a Saskatchewan victory keeps them in the hunt for the division title (while also ending Winnipeg’s hopes of hosting a playoff game.

While B.C. can still finish second even with a Rider win, a Calgary victory helps their cause as well. Essentially, both Winnipeg and B.C. fans should be cheering for Calgary (if they weren’t already.)"

3 hours ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

If we lose to Calgary however then we are in what is essentially a one game playoff with Edmonton in the final game of the season where the winner makes the playoffs and the loser sees their season end, right?

Right.  Both teams would be 9 - 9 and Edmonton would have the season series. 

But if we beat Calgary and go to 10-7, Edmonton is out, because BC has already clinched and Edmonton can finish 9-9 at best.

20 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

That BC Lions team looks scary ,especially on O.

Been such a crazy season. Every single playoff contending team, with maybe the exception of Calgary (and even then, their last two games have been bad), has taken turns looking like both the best and worst team in the league.