Matt Nichols - YAY!!!!!!!!!

TrueBlue4ever

10 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Simply “managing” the game is not enough to win it all and bring home a cup.  The QB needs to “own” the game when out there. 

One play that was funny last night was when Nichols had to run it,  he made it a ways but not enough for a first down... he took a pretty good hit on the play pretty much in front of the Montreal bench, all the drunk bomber fans on that side of the field gave him a big cheer so Matt gets up like he is hulk hogan or something and acts all tough for the fans....then he trots off the field because they never got the first down.  I said to the wife wtf is everyone cheering for, we gotta punt now. 

The fans were cheering the fact that Nichols got up with a little bit of fire.  It got the team fired up to see him take a big hit and pop back up with some enthusiasm... fired up the crowd too.

10 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

He was good but I think the result would have been similar Streveler. I don't think this QB issue/situation is going away anytime soon, despite what O'Shea thinks. I feel like we offered up Montreal as a sacrifice to Nichols, got him to look good so he can keep the job, and now we can just go on pretending like everything is fine.

Montreal is a bad, bad team. The Bombers should have beat them easily, especially with the defense swarming and Manziel playing poorly. The offense continues to be inconsistent and that issue was magnified when Harris got hurt.

The result is that Nichols gained some confidence back along with getting his head screwed on straight as well.  That's huge for him going forward the rest of this season.

9 hours ago, Sard said:

The result is that Nichols gained some confidence back along with getting his head screwed on straight as well.  That's huge for him going forward the rest of this season.

I'm intrigued by his statement that he has to trust his players and coaches in what to do. Why did he veer off that in the first place?

17 hours ago, Floyd said:

Montreal D is not better than Edmonton - Stubler uses the same playbook as Hall...  bend don't break...  Benevides does this too but a bit more adapted to modern era

Nichols looked 'better' but all that means is that he performed as well as Streveler did against Montreal... with less TDs.  He did not blow the doors off that D.

That wasnt the same defence Streveler played. 5 new starters, most in the league say their D has greatly improved. I dont know what Streveler would have done. But the two games shouldn't be compared too hard.

12 hours ago, Sard said:

The fans were cheering the fact that Nichols got up with a little bit of fire.  It got the team fired up to see him take a big hit and pop back up with some enthusiasm... fired up the crowd too.

If he was smart though he would have done the hook slide........... An really how many big hits can he take before one knocks him out of the game... it's not what he gets paid for

17 hours ago, Sard said:

Please stop quoting Skunk. I have to read it as he's been blocked. I only see his posts when they are quoted.

10 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If he was smart though he would have done the hook slide........... An really how many big hits can he take before one knocks him out of the game... it's not what he gets paid for

I'm assuming he was trying to prove himself.   Personally I was more energized with the deep bomb and the few fast throws he made to Thompkins. 

On 2018-09-22 at 11:11 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nice clean game, did not force plays, put together a big time consuming, point scoring drive when we needed it in the 4th quarter, and delivered on the kill shot on 2nd and long to ice the game. Played with focus and fire. Thanks for settling things down with the team and this bi-polar fan base, good job (and you throw a spiral a million times better than Johnny "Quack quack" Football). Go get 'em next week!

The main positive to me was he didn’t force anything. I will give the coaches credit for this as much as I blamed them for it in the last two games. It was an efficient game and that was important to have at this point.

The second half concerned me but I would put that more on the play calling. I remain concerned that no matter who is in the QB spot we still don’t seem to have receivers coming back to the ball. 

Our OLine was better but they still don’t seem to be the beasts they were in the first 8 games. This could be partly coaching though, could be.

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm assuming he was trying to prove himself.   Personally I was more energized with the deep bomb and the few fast throws he made to Thompkins. 

The one big hit he took it looked to me that he realized it was too late so he had to brace for the hit. I would have to watch it again but hook-sliding would have put him in a more compromising position. 

1 minute ago, Dragon37 said:

The one big hit he took it looked to me that he realized it was too late so he had to brace for the hit. I would have to watch it again but hook-sliding would have put him in a more compromising position. 

If he had hook slid at the proper time he would have been fine. 

On 2018-09-23 at 11:10 AM, Bigblue204 said:

That wasnt the same defence Streveler played. 5 new starters, most in the league say their D has greatly improved. I dont know what Streveler would have done. But the two games shouldn't be compared too hard.

Absolutely. Their D has been playing way better. Especially the front line. There is no way to say that Streveler would have done any better.

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If he had hook slid at the proper time he would have been fine. 

Ya. I think he figured that out. It looked to me that he was definitely going to but took another look and realized he couldn’t or shouldn’t. He didn’t waste much time on the other occasions. While that play scared the poop out of me he made the right call and survived. One isn’t always gonna see everything coming at them.

On 2018-09-22 at 12:42 PM, Jpan85 said:

Edmonton’s defence I would put it behind the Als

I agree with your statement on the EE Defence. 

However Mike Reilly will keep his offence on the field far more than Johnny Manziel did. The trick is going to be shutting down Reilly’s explosive plays. The guy can step up and deliver that 40+ yard toss right into the hands of his receiver in full stride. No one has the arm strength to throw the ball like Reilly right now. Except maybe Streveler. So Richie no playing cover zero. Keep that safety in the middle to help out. Otherwise Reilly’s 50-50 bombs become more like 70-30. 

Got my PVR all set up for the game on Saturday. Work till 6PM but won’t miss a play. Tough to beat the Esks at Common Wealth. 

1 hour ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

I agree with your statement on the EE Defence. 

However Mike Reilly will keep his offence on the field far more than Johnny Manziel did. The trick is going to be shutting down Reilly’s explosive plays. The guy can step up and deliver that 40+ yard toss right into the hands of his receiver in full stride. No one has the arm strength to throw the ball like Reilly right now. Except maybe Streveler. So Richie no playing cover zero. Keep that safety in the middle to help out. Otherwise Reilly’s 50-50 bombs become more like 70-30. 

Got my PVR all set up for the game on Saturday. Work till 6PM but won’t miss a play. Tough to beat the Esks at Common Wealth. 

When has our safety ever played over top?

On September 22, 2018 at 6:18 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Did he run off with your wife?

You're shtick is getting old. Can you at least keep you incessant bitchong and moaning out of a positive thread? 

Do you go through life and piss on every parade you come across? Do you just walk around and shout and shake your fist at random clouds?

He's not wrong. Remember how people were asking for the the head of Marcel B or  Berry? They had similar head coaching records. MOS has a middling record and hasn't even managed to win a playoff game. Yet people seem to think that this team is somehow better than their record and can win out. What makes people think that? What makes you think that MOS has earned to continue his middling ways?