So, Apparently Johnny Football Will Start For Als.

SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, Mark F said:

This is not good. 

They seem to go completely with experience,  over youth and potential on this team, for qb position.

The trend these days  is the opposite of this. 

I don't think Wpg would be my first choice as a young quarterback looking for an opportunity to start.

example..... Dom Davis. Three years, one half game, then hooked. for a guy who is out of the game.

And then they went with Darien Durant, for backup. That's who we would have, if he hadn't quit.

Another guy who is out of football.

Maybe this is why we will always be looking for someone else to find a qb for this team. Which won't happen, cause they'll likely keep any such player.

Your example is flawed.  hows dom done in relief for Harris again??

1 hour ago, Dragon37 said:

That’s as annoying as when some of the Bomber players were caught on camera laughing and joking around on the sideline while getting slaughtered on the field. I didn’t expect players to be all mopey an dour but to be ambivalent about a trashing is a kick in the gut. I don’t even want to listen to MOS anymore win or lose because he really has zero to say. As annoying as terse as Don Matthews or Richy could be and as much as Berry offended some here at least you could count on those guys to not constantly blow smoke up your hiney. MOS only makes me wanna scream, run down from the stands and slap that smirk off his face.

You better be able to run fast. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You better be able to run fast. 

He's right though and I'm sure he's not the only fan to feel that way. Be honest, you've probably wanted to do it yourself.

6 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Your example is flawed.  hows dom done in relief for Harris again??

correct, but other than that not flawed. He didn't get a chance here, he still might there.

and the bombers  have gone with experienced qb,  most of whom were not very good at all.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

correct, but other than that not flawed. He didn't get a chance here, he still might there.

and the bombers  have gone with experienced qb,  most of whom were not very good at all.

Even Streveler - we only got a look at because Durant left the Bombers... even a blind dog eventually finds a bone, I guess.

On 2018-09-18 at 1:56 PM, Mark F said:

This is not good. 

They seem to go completely with experience,  over youth and potential on this team, for qb position.

The trend these days  is the opposite of this. 

Is it though? Lulay took the starting job back from Jennings, only reason ray isn't starting in Toronto is injury and an older QB replaced the hotshot you guy there. Hamilton stuck with a more experienced guy in masoli rather and go for Manziel, riders went with experienced collaros over Bridge. 

Honestly who are these teams giving young qbs a chance over experience?

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly who are these teams giving young qbs a chance over experience?

Did not say it, but I was including the NFL. 

Wentz, Mahomes, Trubiski,  Sam Darnold, , Jameis Winston started as a rookie, Mariotta started as a rookie, Russell wilson started as a rookie, guy in Houston, Dak Prescott, guy in Cleveland this season, 

CFL...... not so much I guess, maybe we should look into this idea.

Edited by Mark F

35 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Wentz, Mahomes, Trubiski,  Sam Darnold, , Jameis Winston started as a rookie, Mariotta started as a rookie, Russell wilson started as a rookie, guy in Houston, Dak Prescott, guy in Cleveland this season, 

Those are elite QBs, mostly playing in a similar pro-style system in college. The elite of the elite. 

You want a raw rookie, with no Canadian football experience to step in? You get Streveler, who looks good but is not ready to start. 

34 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Ok so you're making a false equivalency between the cfl and NFL then. One of the reasons that the cfl has had a harder time finding young qbs is the NFL has started looking at the type of qbs that would traditionally be  over looked and ended up in the cfl. Can't compare how the two leagues recruit qbs. 

I think it's ok to compare leagues,.....differences aside, in many ways the things the qb has to do are the same arent they?

go to line, try to figure out what the D is going to do, run play, avoid rush, go through reads, find open guy, get ball to him. 

Sure those players are elite, but they are/were still rookies.  probably  relatively speaking, our rookie, in our league would be capable of the same as some of them. He is without question as fast, or faster, than any of them, and as good, or better at carrying the ball, than any of them. 

In the old days of the NFL starting a rookie would have been unthinkable. Times have changed there. 

Why not here too?  I think that "you can't start a rookie qb" is outdated, and about to be proven wrong over the next few years in the CFL.

Anyway, what we have been doing, isn't working at all. At some point the players won't have the faith in Matt that Mike does. then what?

Edited by Mark F

18 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

MOS only makes me wanna scream, run down from the stands and slap that smirk off his face.

11 hours ago, J5V said:

He's right though and I'm sure he's not the only fan to feel that way. Be honest, you've probably wanted to do it yourself.

dafuq is wrong with you guys?

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I think it's ok to compare leagues,.....differences aside, in many ways the things the qb has to do are the same arent they?

go to line, try to figure out what the D is going to do, run play, avoid rush, go through reads, find open guy, get ball to him. 

Sure those players are elite, but they are/were still rookies.  probably  relatively speaking, our rookie, in our league would be capable of the same as some of them. He is without question as fast, or faster, than any of them, and as good, or better at carrying the ball, than any of them. 

In the old days of the NFL starting a rookie would have been unthinkable. Times have changed there. 

Why not here too?  I think that "you can't start a rookie qb" is outdated, and about to be proven wrong over the next few years in the CFL.

Anyway, what we have been doing, isn't working at all. At some point the players won't have the faith in Matt that Mike does. then what?

We generally don't see worthwhile QB prospects up here until after they have exhausted their NFL options. You can't compare for that reason alone. They get all the top qb prospects and the cfl is left trying to find diamonds in the rough. Streveler is unique in that he came here before even trying his luck in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

We generally don't see worthwhile QB prospects up here until after they have exhausted their NFL options. You can't compare for that reason alone. They get all the top qb prospects and the cfl is left trying to find diamonds in the rough. Streveler is unique in that he came here before even trying his luck in the NFL. 

Yeah, we have no young qbs like Carson Wentz or Jason Goff in our league. 

7 hours ago, JCon said:

Those are elite QBs, mostly playing in a similar pro-style system in college. The elite of the elite. 

You want a raw rookie, with no Canadian football experience to step in? You get Streveler, who looks good but is not ready to start. 

Compared to Nichols who is ready to start but doesn't look good.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, we have no young qbs like Carson Wentz or Jason Goff in our league. 

We also don't have defenders like kahlil mack and Von Miller in our league. 

Carson Wentz is not facing for example, Sam Hurl, as a rookie CFL qb is. 

he needs to be quite a bit better than a QB starting in the CFL, cause the players he's facing are significantly better, as are their coaches.

Saying a rookie can't start here cause he isn't as good as an NFL rookie who starts, really doesn't hold up.

Apples to oranges comparison.

Edited by Mark F

No I agree that is not easy. 

But it's not insurmountable.  the American receivers have to adjust to it. so do the Defenders. Why can't the QB? 

I'm not trying to say that it's great to start a rookie. I'm just saying sometimes it might be better than starting an experienced player who

for whatever reason has not been leading.

I guess it's a question of how many chances does Nichols get, and how poorly does he have to play, before Streveler starts.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

We also don't have defenders like kahlil mack and Von Miller in our league. 

Carson Wentz is not facing for example, Sam Hurl, as a rookie CFL qb is. 

he needs to be quite a bit better than a QB starting in the CFL, cause the players he's facing are significantly better, as are their coaches.

Saying a rookie can't start here cause he isn't as good as an NFL rookie who starts, really doesn't hold up.

Apples to oranges comparison.

A QB facing Sam Hurl ... really made me laugh. Thanks for that. Interesting question about why rookie QB's seem to start more in the NFL than the CFL. There's other things to consider as well. One - most rookie NFL QB's who start are high draft picks. There's a hype and selling to the fan base aspect that just doesn't exist when you bring in some UDFA to the CFL as a QB. I think NFL teams draft them to be the face of the franchise, and jump on that train quickly. CFL rookie QB's come in as unknowns with zero hype. Related to that, I think NFL teams who do that are more apt to live through the bad games that they know are going to happen with a rookie. If Sam Darnold is your guy, you basically tell the fan base to be patient. Hope he turns into a top tier QB. Third thing is coaching. The QB coaches and OC's are just better than their CFL counterparts at prepping a rookie QB I'd guess.

Silverback that all makes sense,  our young qbs are virtually unknown. 

so much  hype for RG3, for instance.

also, money, NFL salary cap, a young qb is a lot less money, so they have money to put into other positions, if the young player can do ok, or better.

Edited by Mark F