Crossover Standings after Week 14

DougR

If the playoffs started next weekend, our Bombers would be watching them from home.  

Crossover Standings: https://www.cfl.ca/standings/#crossover

The remaining games for the four teams fighting for the last slot in the playoffs:

Blue Bombers (Alouettes, at Eskimos, at RedBlacks, Roughriders, Stampeders, at Eskimos)

Lions (Tiger-Cats, at Tiger-Cats, Argonauts, at Stampeders, Eskimos, at Roughriders, Stampeders)

Argonauts (Roughriders, at Stampeders, at Lions, Tiger-Cats, Alouettes, at Alouettes, at RedBlacks)

Alouettes (at Blue Bombers, Roughriders, Stampeders, at Argonauts, Argonauts, at Tiger-Cats)

I don't how the Bombers can continue to lose and expect to make it in the playoffs.   This is a critical time.  If the Bombers miss the playoffs are they going to be the first team in the running for Manziel or (get me a barf bag) KaeperSCHMUCK or some desperate measure for the 2019 season?  Let's start winning and avoid these horrible scenarios. 😉  I left the NFL for the CFL so, if KaeperSCHMUCK was hired by the Bombers, I might have to switch to another team. 😉  

Edited by DougR

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Actually we'd be in because we won the season series on BC.

Do you think that playoff game would be over with after 5 or 10 minutes into the first quarter (taking into account how we are playing)? 😉

44 minutes ago, DougR said:

I don't how the Bombers can continue to lose and expect to make it in the playoffs.   This is a critical time.  If the Bombers miss the playoffs are they going to be the first team in the running for Manziel or (get me a barf bag) KaeperSCHMUCK or some desperate measure for the 2019 season?  Let's start winning and avoid these horrible scenarios. 😉  I left the NFL for the CFL so, if KaeperSCHMUCK was hired by the Bombers, I might have to switch to another team. 😉 

To be perfectly honest - I haven't heard anything at all about Kaepernick coming North, with his new Nike deal he's probably fine for cash, and to date he's shown no interest in doing so. Lots of former NFL players don't make the transition to the CFL mainly because there's a substantial drop-off in salaries between the CFL/NFL. It's the same reason you see CFL stars go south (if they're good enough) - even if it is just to kick around on some practice rosters, part of it is chasing the dream, but the pay in the US is much better. Also - the Als have Kaepernick's negotiation rights, so if anybody, they'd be the team to go after him.

As for Manziel - I can't see this regime (or any team, really), even considering trading for him. To date, he's played two games (0 TDs, 4 INTs), and shown nothing to warrant going after him - combine that with poor attitude and him complaining about being on the depth chart behind Pipkin, and you have a toxic QB nobody wants. Lots of former NFLers burnout in the CFL, Manziel wouldn't be the first, and he won't be the last. As it stands right now though, boy did Hamilton ever fleece Montreal in that trade.

35 minutes ago, DougR said:

Do you think that playoff game would be over with after 5 or 10 minutes into the first quarter (taking into account how we are playing)? 😉

It's the CFL - get into the playoffs hot and anything can happen. The only thing ever Grey Cup champ has in common, is they won at least two playoff games in a row..

Kaepernick won't come to the CFL with his lawsuit against the NFL still up in the air... that would be admitting that he doesn't have the game left to play in the NFL (even though a few years removed, I'm sure his lawyers have told him not to entertain it).  He's going to win that lawsuit, so I don't think he needs to play football again, and he'll be just fine financially.

1 minute ago, trueBlue83 said:

Kaepernick won't come to the CFL with his lawsuit against the NFL still up in the air... that would be admitting that he doesn't have the game left to play in the NFL (even though a few years removed, I'm sure his lawyers have told him not to entertain it).  He's going to win that lawsuit, so I don't think he needs to play football again, and he'll be just fine financially.

And no concussions to deal with in the future.....Kaepernick will be fine without ever playing again.

22 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Online, it appears he has a net worth of $25 million (USD).  Of course, he is young and can blow that over his lifetime. 😉

On 2018-09-16 at 8:00 AM, Eternal optimist said:

To be perfectly honest - I haven't heard anything at all about Kaepernick coming North, with his new Nike deal he's probably fine for cash, and to date he's shown no interest in doing so. Lots of former NFL players don't make the transition to the CFL mainly because there's a substantial drop-off in salaries between the CFL/NFL. It's the same reason you see CFL stars go south (if they're good enough) - even if it is just to kick around on some practice rosters, part of it is chasing the dream, but the pay in the US is much better. Also - the Als have Kaepernick's negotiation rights, so if anybody, they'd be the team to go after him.

As for Manziel - I can't see this regime (or any team, really), even considering trading for him. To date, he's played two games (0 TDs, 4 INTs), and shown nothing to warrant going after him - combine that with poor attitude and him complaining about being on the depth chart behind Pipkin, and you have a toxic QB nobody wants. Lots of former NFLers burnout in the CFL, Manziel wouldn't be the first, and he won't be the last. As it stands right now though, boy did Hamilton ever fleece Montreal in that trade.

It's the CFL - get into the playoffs hot and anything can happen. The only thing ever Grey Cup champ has in common, is they won at least two playoff games in a row..

Good points about KaeperSCHMUCK and Manziel.

Anything can happen in the CFL?  I'm finding that out for sure.

Wouldn't that be something if the Bombers won it all this year.  Would it be the greatest comeback in CFL history?  From last to Champions?

I have seen that in my lifetime with my Alma mater in a different sport (see below): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlE4rrh1WAo

15 minutes ago, DougR said:

Good points about KaeperSCHMUCK and Manziel.

Anything can happen in the CFL?  I'm finding that out for sure.

Wouldn't that be something if the Bombers won it all this year.  Would it be the greatest comeback in CFL history?  From last to Champions?

I have seen that in my lifetime with my Alma mater in a different sport (see below): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlE4rrh1WAo

Back in 2011, the BC Lions started the season 0-5, and went on to win the whole thing.  That's the most recent example that I can think of with regards to big comebacks for a team.

38 minutes ago, Sard said:

Back in 2011, the BC Lions started the season 0-5, and went on to win the whole thing.  That's the most recent example that I can think of with regards to big comebacks for a team.

beating the bombers who started off like 7-0 or something. It's the CFL, doesn't matter what you do in the regular season, only matters what you do in the fall. 

20 minutes ago, jazzsax said:

We need to go 4-2 or 5-1 to have a hope. We have a tough schedule. 

If they go 4-2 or 5-1 they are guaranteed to be in the playoffs in some form. You get to .500 or better you're not missing the playoffs. Hell 8 wins is generally plenty to make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, jazzsax said:

We need to go 4-2 or 5-1 to have a hope. We have a tough schedule. 

Hate to say it, but over the span of 4 weeks we went from believing we had a home playoff game... to starting to think about effing hockey.

Seriously boys, Fridays game is shape up or ship out. A loss Friday and I think someone gets fired. 

You can bet your bippy it won't be LaPolice or Hall.

Friday IS a must win. Not in the statistical sense, of course, but it's one of the winnable games against a sub .500 team.

As for Kaepernick...I'd be shocked if he wins his lawsuit. The question is - did the owners collude against him? That's hard to prove, and I doubt they did. (Some of them just don't want to bother with the baggage).

2 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Friday IS a must win. Not in the statistical sense, of course, but it's one of the winnable games against a sub .500 team.

As for Kaepernick...I'd be shocked if he wins his lawsuit. The question is - did the owners collude against him? That's hard to prove, and I doubt they did. (Some of them just don't want to bother with the baggage).

The NFL has lost lawsuits over shady practices. Do some research about Donald Trump, the USFL and the NFL lawsuit.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If they go 4-2 or 5-1 they are guaranteed to be in the playoffs in some form. You get to .500 or better you're not missing the playoffs. Hell 8 wins is generally plenty to make the playoffs.

Dunno what you’re talking about...

2017 Riders 10-8

2016 Esks 10-8

2014 Lions 9-9

With the west sorting out the way it is this year, the Bombers better win some games because frankly if they don’t they aren’t going to remotely come close.

26 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Dunno what you’re talking about...

2017 Riders 10-8

2016 Esks 10-8

2014 Lions 9-9

With the west sorting out the way it is this year, the Bombers better win some games because frankly if they don’t they aren’t going to remotely come close.

What are you talking about? Last year there would have been a crossover with 7 wins, the year before 8 was all that was needed. 2014 9, so what I said is 100% true.

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

beating the bombers who started off like 7-0 or something. It's the CFL, doesn't matter what you do in the regular season, only matters what you do in the fall. 

And so far they are 0 for 2, haven’t beaten a .500+ team, and BC is playing very well defensively and have a much more threatening set of receivers. The Bombers have to start walking the walk now because the rest of the west is currently jogging into the horizon. People talk about winning a few more games. Well they are gonna have to do better than that because BC has the upper hand right now and certainly will be winning more games.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

Toronto won't win 3 more games this season.  I don't think SK is going to have a stellar close either.  If BC gets on a little run, Bombers, who were a legit Grey Cup contender according to all of the so called experts,  could be in tough to make it to the dance.

At this point I think both Bombers and TO are going to be hard pressed to win 3. BC could but they need to be more consistent on offence and their D has to continue to be lights out. Saskatchewan needs offence to get them through but realistically they only need two more wins.   BC, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan are all one and dones at this point. IMHO 

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

What are you talking about? Last year there would have been a crossover with 7 wins, the year before 8 was all that was needed. 2014 9, so what I said is 100% true.

My point is, Sask has the season series. At this point the Bombers need to beat out the Lions.....

Can that be done, I think so......but the need to put up wins. Simple. Right now 5 win's isn't going to come close. Realistic number is 8-10 or 9-9.......Do you see the bombers going 3-3 or 4-2 the remaining of the season? I do not.