Whatever Happened To....

Zontar

11 minutes ago, Zontar said:

K/P return TDs ?

Used to be a feature of this league. League even altered rules to enhance it.

Just a trend or a permanent thing ?

Intriguing question. It could be a perception that there are fewer td’s On kick returns. However, I’d guess it’s the number of penalties that are called. Of the 135-160 plays average in a cfl game average 20 penalties are assessed. Last years second kick return in a single game, might have been hammy at Winnipeg, was called back. Some Safeway winner was denied  a million bucks because of the penalty. 

I gots no specific facts for the questions, just anecdotes to ***** about the refs. 

2 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Intriguing question. It could be a perception that there are fewer td’s On kick returns. However, I’d guess it’s the number of penalties that are called. Of the 135-160 plays average in a cfl game average 20 penalties are assessed. Last years second kick return in a single game, might have been hammy at Winnipeg, was called back. Some Safeway winner was denied  a million bucks because of the penalty. 

I gots no specific facts for the questions, just anecdotes to ***** about the refs. 

It was the Argos I believe 

I think coaches quickly identify the talent in good returners and turn them into receivers or RB's quickly, and try and get them off teams exposing them to injury.  The 2 most recent I can think of are Jackson in Toronto (now Edmonton) & Rainey in BC.  Two of the best in the league, and I don't think they take kicks anymore, do they!??

Edited by trueBlue83

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Refs look for stuff. They also miss a ton of no yards and obvious illegal blocks on returns but they certainly tend to call just about everything.. Lots of times on the opposite end of the field

The CFL refs call more penalties in a game than NFL officials, by about 7 or 8 per game. Theory might support more officials = more penalties but NFL uses 7 officials, CFL 6 and obviously on a larger field. So less skill by CFL players or are CFL officials all hopped up on Mountain Dew? 

Edited by Rod Black

I think punters are getting better at placing their kicks. You look at long kick returns, most of them happen when the kick lands between the hashes.  Today, punters kick the ball between the numbers and the sidelines, exactly deep enough for the cover team to arrive just after the ball does. 

I bet if someone charted it out they'd see that the majority of big punt returns happen when the punter outkicks the coverage and puts it in the middle of the field.

5 hours ago, Rod Black said:

The CFL refs call more penalties in a game than NFL officials, by about 7 or 8 per game. Theory might support more officials = more penalties but NFL uses 7 officials, CFL 6 and obviously on a larger field. So less skill by CFL players or are CFL officials all hopped up on Mountain Dew? 

Fun fact.. I don't know any of the refs names in the NFL.. I know more refs names than i should in the CFL. Refs in the CFL are definitely trying hard to get noticed and they do.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think punters are getting better at placing their kicks. You look at long kick returns, most of them happen when the kick lands between the hashes.  Today, punters kick the ball between the numbers and the sidelines, exactly deep enough for the cover team to arrive just after the ball does. 

I bet if someone charted it out they'd see that the majority of big punt returns happen when the punter outkicks the coverage and puts it in the middle of the field.

There is still no reason to give up a big return if everyone is playing their lanes. Discipline. Coaching. I think it's more a function of brain farts, getting out of position, and sloppy tackling that gets you in trouble.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Fun fact.. I don't know any of the refs names in the NFL.. I know more refs names than i should in the CFL. Refs in the CFL are definitely trying hard to get noticed and they do.

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I cant name 1 nfl ref

Without looking up his name or spelling, I’ll say “Ed Hoculy” is an NFL ref. 

CFL refs seem to want to be part of the show throwing undue number flags, then consulting further delaying the game. The other thing they seem to do by design is when a convert or field goal is good, they look at each other and both of them under the goal posts raise their arms in a synchronized fashion. Synchronized reffing isn’t necessary. I’d like to see one signal in and the other say out, someday. 

I don’t watch games to see refs flaunting their colourful scarf dance or synchronous signalling. 

Edited by Rod Black

7 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

CFL refs seem to want to be part of the show throwing undue number flags, then consulting further delaying the game. The other thing they seem to do by design is when a convert or field goal is good, they look at each other and both of them under the goal posts raise their arms in a synchronized fashion. Synchronized reffing isn’t necessary. I’d like to see one signal in and the other say out, someday. 

I don’t watch games to see refs flaunting their colourful scarf dance or synchronous signalling. 

You really want to see this?

Wayne-Elliot-300x281.jpg

I sure don't

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Ed "Big Guns" Hoculy retired. 2017 was his last.