Role of a CFL GM

Floyd

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Consensus? Really... You think legit Drs brought him back 2 soon and thats why he sucks now? I dont think so. 

Somebody a bit ago said it best.. Nichols is trying to be Reilly this year but is turning quickly in to Willy instead. 

He threw 5 picks last game in 1 half.. A couple negated due to penalty but 5 picks to me suggests his problems are mental... Hes got that deer in headlights happy feet thing going on.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we've been making excuses for him. He really has been awful.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we've been making excuses for him. He really has been awful.

many people have been for a year now... my turning point on Nichols was the home game against BC last year in October.  at the same time, when you watch how the D closed out this game, it also said a lot about Ritchie Hall's side too.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2438/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers/?_ga=2.11537908.1796167098.1536902416-642897755.1531064175#videos

Not a single highlight of Nichols after the first quarter.   23/30 for 172. 0 TDs, 0 INTs. Classic Nichols game.

When O'Shea talks about how he's won lots of games, I think of this one, and many others where Medlock kicked 7 field goals.

Game manager Matt would have been okay over the last 4 weeks, but it's still the same stuff he's been doing for a year, and not enough to win us football games against good teams.

12 hours ago, do or die said:

Sure, but "game manager Nichols" didn't make bad decisions, or throw a lot of picks - and also engineered a fair amount of 4th Q comebacks.  

This junk, we have got the last month or so....won't win against any teams - and hasn't.

Do you put more of our woes on Matt or Lapo?

18 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Other than the fluke against Montreal, I can't think of many clutch comeback performances.  You must have a good memory!

In fact, I remember the snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory like the 2016 West semifinal where we were up 31-19 in the 4th quarter and lost. A 33-30 loss to Edmonton first game this year. Up 17-0 to BC this year in the 3rd quarter and lost 17-20. Of course, getting swept and losing the Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl to the Riders. Yup, this QB is a serious loser this past year or so but he's O'Shea's boy after saving O'Shea's job so we get to enjoy his play loss after loss after loss.

57 minutes ago, J5V said:

In fact, I remember the snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory like the 2016 West semifinal where we were up 31-19 in the 4th quarter and lost. A 33-30 loss to Edmonton first game this year. Up 17-0 to BC this year in the 3rd quarter and lost 17-20. Of course, getting swept and losing the Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl to the Riders. Yup, this QB is a serious loser this past year or so but he's O'Shea's boy after saving O'Shea's job so we get to enjoy his play loss after loss after loss.

My question always is, who out there the last 3 seasons was available & better? There wasn't anyone as far as I was concerned. For what is & was out there, we still had someone better in Nichols.

Now, this off season some veteran qbs are (hopefully) going to be available yet I don't see Reilly or Mitchell straying too far from their respective teams. I believe Trevor Harris may be a free agent. Do we go after him in a trade? Lulay is virtually finished as a player. Not a fan of any Argos qbs. Pipkin is still too green but I see the Als signing him long term eventually.  Jennings isn't going anywhere now with Lulay injured again. Masoli is a fixture in Hamilton so really what is out there? Pretty risky to give the keys to the car (franchise) to Streveler next season with such a limited body of work. So, what do the Bombers do? No easy answers. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My question always is, who out there the last 3 seasons was available & better? There wasn't anyone as far as I was concerned. For what is & was out there, we still had someone better in Nichols.

Now, this off season some veteran qbs are (hopefully) going to be available yet I don't see Reilly or Mitchell straying too far from their respective teams. I believe Trevor Harris may be a free agent. Do we go after him in a trade? Lulay is virtually finished as a player. Not a fan of any Argos qbs. Pipkin is still too green but I see the Als signing him. Pretty risky to give the keys to the car (franchise) to Streveler next season with such a limited body of work. So, what do the Bombers do? 

Lots of game time yet this season to build a body of work for Big Chris.  

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Do you put more of our woes on Matt or Lapo?

They both suck.

Why do you think Lapo was a TSN analyst before we hired him? Because no one wanted him after we had fired him as our HC. Lapo's playbook doesn't scare any defensive coordinators because they have him figured out and he doesn't make good adjustments. 

Same with Nichols. Edmonton jetted him from being their 3rd string QB because he sucked. He came here and did a lot of eating the ball and throwing it out of bounds. But to everyone's surprise we were winning and so, for that they called him a "game manager". Once he was exposed as a QB that couldn't throw deep or accurately, it became easy to defend against him.

They are arguably the worst combination because their weaknesses combine to make them super-easy to defend against. 

Of course, O'Shea knows this, but pretends he doesn't because he has no idea what to do about it other than putting lipstick on the pig. Walters is hiding within the confines of IGF and refuses to come out and face the fans or media. Miller is watching Youtube videos of the NAAFP and eating pizza and potato chips. When push eventually comes to shove the Board will tell Miller to say something to sell tickets and stem the unrest and when it doesn't work and they do all get fired, they'll stand in a circle and point and blame each other and a new regime will be brought in, hope will spring anew and the fans will buy tickets again, and the next quarter century period of pretending to try to win a championship will begin.

48 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now, this off season some veteran qbs are (hopefully) going to be available yet I don't see Reilly or Mitchell straying too far from their respective teams. I believe Trevor Harris may be a free agent. Do we go after him in a trade? Lulay is virtually finished as a player. Not a fan of any Argos qbs. Pipkin is still too green but I see the Als signing him long term eventually.  Jennings isn't going anywhere now with Lulay injured again. Masoli is a fixture in Hamilton so really what is out there? Pretty risky to give the keys to the car (franchise) to Streveler next season with such a limited body of work. So, what do the Bombers do? No easy answers. 

Willy was better before O'Shea ruined him. Why so enamoured with Nichols? When we were winning he still wasn't that great. Couldn't throw over 20 yards, couldn't run, and didn't appear to read defenses, especially blitzes, all that well. My question always is, when was the last time the Bombers cultivated their own successful quarterback? This organisation can't find talent. Can't coach. Can't manage. Can't win. We are who they thought we were. 

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Willy was better before O'Shea ruined him. Why so enamoured with Nichols? When we were winning he still wasn't that great. Couldn't throw over 20 yards, couldn't run, and didn't appear to read defenses, especially blitzes, all that well. My question always is, when was the last time the Bombers cultivated their own successful quarterback? This organisation can't find talent. Can't coach. Can't manage. Can't win. We are who they thought we were. 

I still have a bit of positivity left but it's fading fast. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I still have a bit of positivity left but it's fading fast. 

The current group of sadsacks that run the Winnipeg Football Club are better than some of the hot garbage that has been here before. There, feel better?

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

If there's another loss, it will equal the amount of posters left...

Losing does not make me want to quit. It makes me want to fight that much harder. -- Paul William "Bear" Bryant

3 hours ago, J5V said:

So you say they ruined WIlly, but don't give pause and think perhaps they're doing the same to NIchols? 

They will start Nichols next game and it will be a blowout against Montreal, getting the team back on track.

It has been a bad run but this team is not dead in the water.  The bye week came at the perfect time.  I predict a crossover spot and a run to the East final or Grey Cup.

Those predicting 1-5 or 0-6 over the final six games are simply reacting to recent events rather than taking a 10000 foot view and considering the entire picture.

Looking forward to the final third of the season.