Role of a CFL GM

Floyd

Does Walter bring in players with or without HC/Asst Coach input...?

Is Adarius and Durant on Walters...  both prob paid big signing bonuses then gone for nothing...  if Durant was still here, we would be finished and we'd run another year without discovering Streveler - Alex Ross would still be our 3rd QB...  plus no Adam Bighill

Bowman, Dressler and Adams are all basically guaranteed not to play a full 18 games...

Neufeld instead of Bond...  

Legit concerns...

1 hour ago, Gotmilt said:

You'd have to be born yesterday to believe the HC has no input on which players the club brings in.

Delete this.

I believe Bighill is here just because of Oshea... same with Miller, Okpo, Miles, Nevis

Hurl was 100% a Hall pick and project... 

I also believe that Osh/Walters let Lapo have too much influence on Walters' choice of players...  

I think Walters and Osh aren't independent enough actually...  the guys seemingly connected to Danny Mac, Richie Hall, Lapo, Goveia and Rigmaiden are all kind of just not that great

Danny Mac's connections were particularly awful actually - Walters could lose his job much like Osh because of their assistants

Kyle Walters is the man in charge of this team. He hires the scouts, he hires the coach, it all goes back to him because he is the one in charge. 

I am also going to call bullshit on Ross being 3rd string and no discovering Streveler. Streveler was coming to camp regardless and he probably still would have beaten Ross for a spot, we just wouldn't have seen him play this year, which is very normal for your development qb. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Kyle Walters is the man in charge of this team. He hires the scouts, he hires the coach, it all goes back to him because he is the one in charge. 

I am also going to call bullshit on Ross being 3rd string and no discovering Streveler. Streveler was coming to camp regardless and he probably still would have beaten Ross for a spot, we just wouldn't have seen him play this year, which is very normal for your development qb. 

Using the same logic... O'Shea is in charge of the team. He hires the coordinators, makes the final player decisions like who the starting QB is, and the big in game decisions like going for 60+ yard FG's. It all goes back to O'Shea if the guys he hires can't do their jobs or his decisions aren't very good.

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Walters, as GM, takes ownership of the overall product delivered to the HC and who that HC is.  The HC however is responsible to drive that product and to advise the GM on issues concerning the lineup.  So O'Shea is responsible for taking the tools that he's given and using them as effectively as possible, effectiveness ultimately being measured in wins/losses.  So the record rests firstly upon the shoulders of the HC.  The GM's job is to decide when the HC's ability to use the tools he's been given are insufficient and are unlikely to improve .  Then the GM replaces the HC.  If an argument can be made that the GM has not provided the HC with the best tools he can, then the HC needs to express that, quite clearly to the GM.  Of course, the GM will ultimately have the final say on personnel, but only a fool would fail to take note of issues that the HC has identified.  Unfortunately, replacing a GM means that very likely the HC is gone too, but such is life.

If the issue is clearly with the quality of players being brought in, then the president needs to step in and replace the GM.  Personally, in this case, I don't think Walkers has done a bad job.  He's made some mistakes, and has some issues with scouting Americans, but I really believe that this team  that he has put together should be performing better than their record would indicate.  That being the case, I really don't think that the GM is the main issue.  The problem lies downstream and that means that the finger squarely points at the HC.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

GM's provide coaches with the ammo they need and Walters has been supplying MOS with a lot of blanks lately. 

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

Bighill. 

That's great and he has made an impact, but it is not enough on its own.

1 good player out of 5 is not going to get it done, particularly when the blanks are all in the same area (receiving corps)

1 hour ago, TheSource said:

1 good player out of 5 is not going to get it done, particularly when the blanks are all in the same area (receiving corps)

I know, some people just want to bury their heads in the sand, they are desperate to find anything positive about this season. I suppose if we miss the playoffs altogether, we can still say 'but he got us Bighill', whatever helps them sleep at night. 

2 hours ago, TheSource said:

Yeah, to say nothing about the NAT talent he's drafted and signed. I get the criticism of him sitting on his hands right now while the team is mired in fourth place on a four-game skid, but FFS... Try and be at least somewhat objective.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, to say nothing about the NAT talent he's drafted and signed. I get the criticism of him sitting on his hands right now while the team is mired in fourth place on a four-game skid, but FFS... Try and be at least somewhat objective.

So stockpiling 10 nat receivers is a good thing when, at most, only 2 of them should be playing?

None of them are going to be Derrel Walker or Duke Williams good. Why waste those draft picks just for guys to be long term PR fodder?

Just now, TheSource said:

So stockpiling 10 nat receivers is a good thing when, at most, only 2 of them should be playing?

None of them are going to be Derrel Walker or Duke Williams good. Why waste those draft picks just for guys to be long term PR fodder?

What the hell are you babbling on about...? Your reply makes absolutely zero sense.

Hopefully, the team goes on a win streak soon so you'll just **** off again.

54 minutes ago, TheSource said:

A few on this board have just descended into complaining for the sake of complaining...

Walters has his faults but stockpiling CDN receiving talent is a total non-issue...  how is that bad?

We're carrying four on the roster - two of which will likely end up as our main SBs - Wolitarsky and Demski for years to come... and two with seemingly very high ceilings

4 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Walters is OK but he handicaps our team because he has limited connections down south.  Yes, the scouts are there to find players in the US but it would be better if both the GM and the scouts had an extensive network there.

Ex National players, Miller, Walters, and O’Shea, may not have the contacts due to lack of exposure down south. But McManus should have some friends in the states. 

Ha! You must have convinced me so much, I thought the observation was my idea. 

Edited by Rod Black

We're being too hard on our guys, most of them are younger than us, they are just up and comers. You can't expect them to perform like Huff in Calgary or Paul Jones in Edmonton, those guys have been around the block for years. Give it some more time, this is a long term build whether we like it or not. 

9 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Using the same logic... O'Shea is in charge of the team. He hires the coordinators, makes the final player decisions like who the starting QB is, and the big in game decisions like going for 60+ yard FG's. It all goes back to O'Shea if the guys he hires can't do their jobs or his decisions aren't very good.

And I have said that O'Shea ultimately wears the coordinators failings, but I also say that there were other factors going in and am willing to over look that and give him another chance because of the good things he does do for the team. 

Things are never as black and white as some people like to make them seem. 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

We're being too hard on our guys, most of them are younger than us, they are just up and comers. You can't expect them to perform like Huff in Calgary or Paul Jones in Edmonton, those guys have been around the block for years. Give it some more time, this is a long term build whether we like it or not. 

Give them time?  This isn’t an apprentiship program. That is conceiding that you hired a group of unqualified people. 

59 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Give them time?  This isn’t an apprentiship program. That is conceiding that you hired a group of unqualified people. 

It actually is, our scouting department is only 5 - 6 years old? You can't compare that to a guy like Paul Jones who's been in Edmonton for 20+ years (he's outlasted coaches and GM's) and expect the same results, that's just not realistic. We chose to build our own organization from the ground floor up mostly because we had to. Considering where they started from, the last two season of 23 - 13 is really impressive. These guys may not get it done in the end but they will have definitely left the organization in a far better state then where they started from and it will be that much easier for the next regime coming in.