Role of a CFL GM

Floyd

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

They will start Nichols next game and it will be a blowout against Montreal, getting the team back on track.

It has been a bad run but this team is not dead in the water.  The bye week came at the perfect time.  I predict a crossover spot and a run to the East final or Grey Cup.

Those predicting 1-5 or 0-6 over the final six games are simply reacting to recent events rather than taking a 10000 foot view and considering the entire picture.

Looking forward to the final third of the season.

Five years of rebuilding and the best we can hope for is a crossover. Sad.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

They will start Nichols next game and it will be a blowout against Montreal, getting the team back on track.

It has been a bad run but this team is not dead in the water.  The bye week came at the perfect time.  I predict a crossover spot and a run to the East final or Grey Cup.

Those predicting 1-5 or 0-6 over the final six games are simply reacting to recent events rather than taking a 10000 foot view and considering the entire picture.

Looking forward to the final third of the season.

It has to be a blowout - they need to beat Montreal up and down the field

They were right there with the Stamps for three quarters, until critical errors happened and things unraveled.

They literally gave away two games against the Riders, which has already been discussed, ad nauseum

Step 1: put their record, the playoff scenario(s), the fans and everything else aside 

Step 2: make life miserable for Pipkin, who looks ripe for the plucking after yesterday

Step 3: just get on the field and beat someone up

On 2018-09-14 at 10:53 PM, 17to85 said:

Oh they came back a bunch, had to when the D started off games the way they did so many times last year and the year before. 

Thanks for the examples!  A bunch eh? I just looked and found none.  Aug 4th last season, a last minute FG to win was set up by great field position on a Langford kick return.  Beyond that, I went back to 16, and the close games won were based on FGs and field position set up by turnovers and special teams.  If you can find a highlight pack where Nichols marches the ball all the way downfield down by 5-6 points on the last drive of the game and throws the winning TD, I'd love to see it! Not asking for a bunch, just 1 is fine!

6 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Thanks for the examples!  A bunch eh? I just looked and found none.  Aug 4th last season, a last minute FG to win was set up by great field position on a Langford kick return.  Beyond that, I went back to 16, and the close games won were based on FGs and field position set up by turnovers and special teams.  If you can find a highlight pack where Nichols marches the ball all the way downfield down by 5-6 points on the last drive of the game and throws the winning TD, I'd love to see it! Not asking for a bunch, just 1 is fine!

There was a Calgary game last year that they game back from a huge deficit only for the D to blow it.

7 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

That is odd criteria. Comebacks don't have to happen on the last drive. Fact is that this team was in a lot of holes last year and the year before that they had to dig themselves out of.

So we find ourselves currently in the western basement....I hope Walters and O'Shea can see the red flags flying over IGF....cuz I sure can...Doesn't look like any hope on the horizon either as there seems to be a lot of hand sitting.....not even a rumour of anything changing...Writing on the wall is getting clearer and clearer as the days go by

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

That is odd criteria. Comebacks don't have to happen on the last drive. Fact is that this team was in a lot of holes last year and the year before that they had to dig themselves out of.

ok... thats fair.  but more often than not, it came off the leg of Medlock, kicking 6 or 7 field goals in these wins. 

the point I'm trying to make, is when it's crunch time, and plays need to be made, Nichols doesn't seem to have what it takes to put together a clutch drive.

he couldn't get it done against Calgary or Saskatchewan recently with a few drives to do so.  No D is scared of Nichols being able to move the ball on them quickly and efficiently.  If we're down 6 with a minute and a half to go (lots of time for a solid QB) and we're at our own 20, I'm pretty sure most fans would have very little faith that we're going to move the ball downfield and put together that winning score!

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

There was a Calgary game last year that they game back from a huge deficit only for the D to blow it.

turns out, that was a Sept 2016 game, so one of Nichols first as a Bomber.  And early in the 4th with the Bombers down 30-20, the D actually scored a forced fumble TD to make it 30-27.   With 15 seconds left on the clock, the Stamps got the ball back down 34-33, connected on a long pass, and then kicked a 52 yard time expired FG to win the game.   If you think that game is on the D holding them to 9 points in the second half, well, sure I guess!?

Both sides of the ball have taken turns blowing games.Sometimes in different games, sometimes the same game. (see blowouts this season)

If all the defence has to do is stop the other team from moving into field goal range as time expires, and it can't.... of course it shares the blame.

another example..... If a field goal kicker misses a twenty seven yard kick on the final play which wins the game if good..... would you say, yeah but the offence should have scored more?

If the defence has a chance to win the game by making a turnover on downs, and can not do it, it's part of the problem. 

Blame.....Our whole team has it's share.

Watched a few kick return TD this weekend. Have the Bombers had any this season?

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

So we find ourselves currently in the western basement....I hope Walters and O'Shea can see the red flags flying over IGF....cuz I sure can...Doesn't look like any hope on the horizon either as there seems to be a lot of hand sitting.....not even a rumour of anything changing...Writing on the wall is getting clearer and clearer as the days go by

Even Inspector Clouseau...could spot those...

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

Anyone else think that the GM should have said something before the break? Maybe like a vote of confidence in the coaches to get things turned around, the season isn't over yet, yada yada yada.....

The total silence just seems odd to me. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Anyone else think that the GM should have said something before the break? Maybe like a vote of confidence in the coaches to get things turned around, the season isn't over yet, yada yada yada.....

But they aren't planning on firing them...

8 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Like have a press conference to announce nothing?

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

Just asking, seems odd to me that Walters has been invisible during a 4 game losing streak and the circus surrounding Nicholls and his comments. I would think any GM would want to try to calm the waters or something? 

with a chance to rid himself of that contract next year with no blowback at all.... he's probably sitting back not minding.  Now, if the team can't turn their fortunes around at start to play better ball, that's going to be a different story.   I don't think Walters is in danger this year.  He's sticking around.