Game Day Thread - Banjo Bowl

BigBlue

Will the roster changes make any difference for the Blue?

Can Matt Nichols pick up his game?

Do they have Streveler prepared in waiting in case Nichols is flat again?

Statistical probability favor the home team in back to back games ...

Can Bob Irving or the crowd help us?

Edited by BigBlue

Does the "game day" thread always start the day before on this site ? Lol

My tv volume is going to be CRANKED tomorrow from the first snap.....sold out stadium right.......either Matty shoos the boo birds and gets back to form........ or we get more BIG CHRIS to evaluate......  so much to watch for tomorrow. 

I see no Dunigan involved with the BC / Ottawa game tonight....any chance he is doing the Bomber game tomorrow ? 

I have three story lines that I am thinking may come from the game tomorrow...

matt Nichols plays like we need, he controls the whole game, spreads the ball around and we win convincingly....

matt falters some more, we can't get nothing going, and get our azzes kicked big time...but he plays the whole game

matt falters...early,  O'Shea all of a sudden pulls him, Big Chris comes in and wins the game.......and the Bombers are on a roll for the next 5-6 years with Big Chris, O'Shea and whoever the management wants to keep around..

I think it's going to be a very entertaining game either way it shakes out...... 

We've lost 3 in a row.

We haven't beaten a team above .500.

We went all-in on player contracts this year yet sit below .500 at 5-6.

Ottawa, a team that absolutely destroyed us, just lost to BC, the last place team in the West that was missing their best player on offense (Arceneaux) and their best player on defense (Elimimian). That puts them 2 points behind us.

If we lose the BB to Saskatchewan that'll be 4 in a row, we'll be at 5-7 and will arguably be the worst team in the league in a year when we were supposed to win it all. 

This is a huge game. I hope we show up for all 60 minutes.

6 hours ago, J5V said:

We've lost 3 in a row.

Ottawa, a team that absolutely destroyed us, just lost to BC, the last place team in the West that was missing their best player on offense (Arceneaux) and their best player on defense (Elimimian). That puts them 2 points behind us.

If we lose the BB to Saskatchewan that'll be 4 in a row, we'll be at 5-7 and will arguably be the worst team in the league in a year when we were supposed to win it all. 

QFT

Although no one on the team would want to say so, this is a must-win game. 

It is also a character defining moment for the 2018 edition of the Bombers.

Lose this, and they will end up in last place this year, or very close to it. I would not put money on them beating Montreal if they do not win this one.

12 hours ago, pigseye said:

Will the o-line hold out against the best end in the league?

Which Bomber defence will show up?

Will a Bomber receiver step up and make a play for their qb?

Will the Bombers win the special teams battle?

1. Yes, but Hughes will pick up a sack to continue the streak.

2. Yes... like they did last game, where they played 10 of the last 15 minutes due to an inept QB not being able to move the ball.

3. Yes... if it's not #15 and they don't have to reach back, down, or wait for under thrown balls.

4.  If the offence can move the ball, maybe we get lucky and see a classic 7 FG performance from Medlock because Nichols can't finish a drive!

12 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I think if you want to get Nichols and Adams confidence back up early and get SSK panicking?  Call a play action deep shot first play from scrimmage and burn SSK with it.  So long as Gainey isn't in the area, I say it works with a double move.

Ugh... or a Charlton Hughes sack.  I think they need a long methodical drive to gain the confidence.  Nichols hasn't had one in a long time, and that could be just the cure.  Spread it around, utilize the running attack... maybe a pitch to Flanders in a dual back set!?  Will be interesting to see the formations with Flanders back in the lineup today!  Hopefully LaPo has some goodies dialled up!

Even a close loss will not cut it as acceptable in this one.

This is a must win game.

In similar situations in the last 3 years, dating back to the July 28, 2016 game, OShea's squad has shown that they rise up in situations such as this and get the critical win to keep from tanking.

Today will be the true test of the character of the current roster that Walters and OShea have selected and supported.

There are no excuses, do-overs, rainbows, or unicorns. Now is the time to show who you are, and where you will be going...

9 hours ago, J5V said:

We've lost 3 in a row.

Facts. If Matty Nichols doesn’t come out here this afternoon and play a clean game... 

I’m not sure why we don’t give a guy like Simonise a shot at starting. I honestly believe that sometimes being a Canadian hurts players in terms on getting an opportunity. 

I honestly believe that Simonise at wide out and Wolitarsky in the slot would be better than Washington/Thompkins. 

Edited by Blueandgold

13 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Oline did pretty well last game with a backup in at one rather important spot.  I think it will be more of the same.

If I was a Bomber fan I would think exactly like SPuDS is thinking. I believe the game today will see a much different D-line on the side of the Riders. The last game in Regina the D-lineman were not gap sound. Allowing Harris to have the success he did in the 1st half. You could tell in the 2nd half of last weeks game that the half time discussions had the green team staying gap sound and Harris was not as successful. The fact that Harris took a hard double team tackle also played into his second half performance. 

I suspect this game will be one of the best defensive games of the season. With neither team scoring a lot of points. I hope I’m wrong. 

I would think the crowd will play a part today but will it be enough. There seems to be a real hatred from some Bomber fans towards their Western rival. I don’t understand that part as it’s only a game. I’m hoping both teams bring their A game and we see an incredible football game today. Especially if it ends 41-40 for the team from .... well you know. 

Good luck everyone. 

Banjo Bowl #15 · 2018 Game #58 · Saskatchewan at Winnipeg: 􏰀

The Bombers and Riders have played back-to-back weeks in each of the last 14 years around Labour Day (13 sellouts). The second half of which has come to be known as the Banjo Bowl in which Winnipeg leads 8 wins to 6. Since 2004 in this back-to-back LD set, the count favours Saskatchewan 6-2: SSK sweeps: 6 ('05, '08, '09, '11, '12, '14) WPG sweeps: 2 ('04, '16) Splits: 6

The Bombers have won 3 in a row and 4 of the last 5 Banjo Bowl games. Matt Nichols will be starting his 4th straight Banjo Bowl for the Bombers and he comes in with a 4-4 mark as a starter in 2018. Zach Collaros will be starting in the Banjo Bowl for the first time

BANJO BOWL OBSERVATIONS:

- Banjo Bowl Walk Off Wins: 2012 Sandro DeAngelis FG (40 yds); 2008 Luca Congi FG (29 yds)

- The team that has scored first in the Banjo Bowl has won 10 times out of 14 (71%)

- The Bombers have won the last three Banjo Bowl games by a combined 87 to 45 score and trailed by no more than 7 points.

- The largest comeback to win in the Banjo Bowl was the Riders in 2005 when overcame an 11-point deficit (down 15-4) to win

- There have been just two comebacks to win from double-digit deficits both by Saskatchewan (2005: from -11, 2011: from -10)

- Passing yards record: Michael Bishop for Saskatchewan 370 yards in the 2008 edition

CFL Game #58 Team Notes – Saskatchewan at Winnipeg:

- No 300+'s: Zach Collaros and Matt Nichols are the only QBs among those with at least 5 starts that have yet to record a 300-yard passing game in 2018. Collaros' last 300+ was on Jul 15/17 and he has gone 12 starts with a single-game high of 282 yards. Nichols' last 300+ game was on Sep 22/17 and he has gone 13 games in a row without going over 300.

- Bombers INTs: Over their first 7 games Winnipeg defenders made 11 interceptions which led to 33 Blue Bomber points off these Turnovers. Since then over the last 4 games, they have just one INT and zero points.

- CFL record for Medlock: Since the 2015 move of the 1-point convert kick out to 32 yards, the league-wide % made since then has tracked as follows prior to 2018: 2015: 85% 2016: 91% 2017: 91%. In 2018, CFL kickers are a remarkable 94% and none better than Justin Medlock. He is a perfect 35-of-35 in 2018 and has now made a record 44 in a row (last miss Sep 30/17).

- Mike Miller: Ranks #4 in the CFL in 2018 with 11 Special Teams Tackles and is just one short of the 150 mark for his career - a level reached by only 12 players all-time. Miller is the current Active leader at 149 just ahead of Kyries Hebert (145) and the only other active player with 100+ Rolly Lumbala (102). Miller is now #13 all-time tied with Shawn Gallant and 4 back of Dan Rashovich at #12 (153).

- Bombers in 2nd-&-long: Over the last 3 games, Winnipeg's 2nd down conversion rate has dipped to just 46% after being at 53% through Game #8. One of the reasons is likely the fact that of their 70 second down situations, only 8 have been in 2nd-&-3 yards or less - they have had almost 90% of their 2nd down chances in 2-&-4+ in those 3 games (62 out of 70).

- Matt Nichols: Comes into this game with a streak of 3 consecutive losses as a starter. That matches his longest-ever run (Sep 20/15 to Oct 3/15). He has never before lost 4 straight starts in his career. Nichols has started head-to-head against Zach Collaros 3 times now and is 1-2 in those games (Aug 21/15, Aug 12/17 & Sep 2/18).

- Chris Randle 100: Reaches CFL regular season game #100 for his career this week and that has included 96 starts.

- Two Rider players with a Punt Return Touchdown: Last week Kyren Moore returned a punt for a TD joining Rider teammate Christion Jones. The last time that Saskatchewan had two players return a punt for a touchdown in the same season was 1997 (Terryl Ulmer, Rod Harris).

- Avoiding 4 losses in a row: The Bombers have not lost 4 games in a row in the same season since mid-2015, a span of 55 games.

- Riders Sacks Allowed: Saskatchewan allowed 9 Sacks in their first 4 games. Since then in 6 games they have yielded just 4 including only one last week at home to Winnipeg.

4 hours ago, TheSource said:

QFT

Although no one on the team would want to say so, this is a must-win game. 

It is also a character defining moment for the 2018 edition of the Bombers.

Lose this, and they will end up in last place this year, or very close to it. I would not put money on them beating Montreal if they do not win this one.

A comment on character from an advocate for cheating.

When you change your avi and your name, feel free to use “Foghorn”.