New Regime...

Floyd

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

That was an anomaly- even a blind squirrel will find the occasional nut and this one happened to be the game of their year at the Grey Cup. Did you know that the Grey Cup and Earl Grey tea are connected, and his descendant was involved in a pedophile ring a couple of decades ago?

Uh, no.

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So... fire everyone?

Ok. So right now, who would you hire?

This offseason who's available?

This argument always comes up and I figure it's Miller's job to see to it that we have the best personnel available. I'd like to see him replace Walters with someone like Barker. I'm not against the idea of getting Barker here as a consultant. We need experience. People that understand the game at a high level and have been successful. People that can get 60 minutes of football out of their players.

Just now, J5V said:

This argument always comes up and I figure it's Miller's job to see to it that we have the best personnel available. I'd like to see him replace Walters with someone like Barker. I'm not against the idea of getting Barker here as a consultant. We need experience. People that understand the game at a high level and have been successful. People that can get 60 minutes of football out of their players.

No, no.

Names, not "like this person". Seriously, shoot some actual names that we could replace the current "regime".

20 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No, no.

Names, not "like this person". Seriously, shoot some actual names that we could replace the current "regime".

Fans shooting names out off the cuff is a poor measure of what could be done, and so is simply defaulting to saying that there is no choice better than Walters and the existing scouting staff under him.

That said, Wade Miller and the BOD should be conducting their own study, or hiring a consultant from within the football industry to find out what is available. There are always options, including bringing someone in from outside the CFL. There was a time when names like Trestman, Barker, and even Wally Buono were a complete unknowns in the CFL.

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No, no.

I already mentioned Barker for GM but Murphy, Higgins would work. As for a head coach, Claybrooks, Higgins, Steinhauer, Elizondo, Washington, Ham, Clements, Benevides, Brady, Nelson, Constantin, Stubler, Palmer, Marshall, Barrett ... the list goes on. Or are you arguing that we settled for Walters and O'Shea because there was no one else available? If so, how hard did we look? Seems to me that after Mack was fired Miller walked down the hall and hired Walters who in turn hired O'Shea. Not much of a selection process. O’Shea, Dickenson and Maas are former players who come from the same era of CFL football. Dickenson and Maas were both quarterbacks and have been far more successful. I'd have been happy with either one of them too. It's also a shame we couldn't have landed Trestman.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

RE: Barker- wasn't he the guy we shipped Willy to in exchange for theft?

Yes. Was discussed further up the thread.

The point I am making is still valid. If what you have is not very good, it's probably still better off taking a calculated risk on an unknown, provided that the proper homework is being done.

Staying with Walters and co is accepting long-term mediocrity at best, and possibly accepting a slow spiraling trip into the toilet bowl at worst.

Shooting for more with the risk of failing is at least more exciting as a fan.

8 hours ago, TheSource said:

You may very well be right on this, but I have a bit different take on it.

I agree about Lapo being given an exemption, but it needs to be conditional - I think he should be forced to make some modifications to the offensive system that Bombers employ as a condition of staying on. The system needs to be modified to stretch the field vertically more, not with bombs, but with an intermediate level passing game. The current system does not feature this, probably because Nichols accuracy has never been that consistent at that range.

Regarding Walters, his results have been mixed, but yes, even I acknowledge he has done some good things, however, this off season he was far too passive and made some seriously goofy decisions. This has been a recurring theme with him in the past. I would drop Walters and the entire scouting system the Bombers are currently using and go in a different direction. What would it take to pry Murphy out of Sask to take on a GM position?

Murphy  needs someone to reign him in like John Hufnagel did in Calgary. I don't think he's savvy enough to be a GM. He'd be a massive failure here if he was our GM. 

21 hours ago, J5V said:

Walters the GM and O'Shea the Head Coach came into this thing together 5 years ago. 5 years is a long time.

Walters' job is to bring in the players and he has brought in some good ones, especially Canadian talent, but has it been enough? How does his work compare to that of John Hufnagel, Ed Hervey, Brock Sunderland, Chris Jones, Eric Tillman, Kavis Reed,  Marcel Desjardins, and Jim Popp?

O'Shea's job is to coach and to get the most out of his players. How does his work compare to that of June Jones, Mike Sherman, Rick Campbell, Marc Trestman, Wally Buono, Dave Dickenson, Jason Maas, and Chris Jones?

I'll go first.

I'd put Walters ahead of only Kavis Reed and maybe Ed Hervey, but just barely.

I'd put O'Shea dead last. 

I'm curious how the rest of you see it.

Who gets the credit for Streveler being here ?........... cause for me it's simple,  who ever finds the next "franchise QB" who actually starts winning playoff  games and a cup or more...... and the coach who starts that franchise QB.....  they will be Bomber legends for awhile after that

Edited by NorthernSkunk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-09-07 at 5:30 PM, NorthernSkunk said:

Who gets the credit for Streveler being here ?........... cause for me it's simple,  who ever finds the next "franchise QB" who actually starts winning playoff  games and a cup or more...... and the coach who starts that franchise QB.....  they will be Bomber legends for awhile after that

I thought Jarious Jackson called a great second half against the Als defence. I would add his name to the list of up and coming HC's. 

On 2018-09-07 at 3:00 PM, J5V said:

I already mentioned Barker for GM but Murphy, Higgins would work. As for a head coach, Claybrooks, Higgins, Steinhauer, Elizondo, Washington, Ham, Clements, Benevides, Brady, Nelson, Constantin, Stubler, Palmer, Marshall, Barrett ... the list goes on. Or are you arguing that we settled for Walters and O'Shea because there was no one else available? If so, how hard did we look? Seems to me that after Mack was fired Miller walked down the hall and hired Walters who in turn hired O'Shea. Not much of a selection process. O’Shea, Dickenson and Maas are former players who come from the same era of CFL football. Dickenson and Maas were both quarterbacks and have been far more successful. I'd have been happy with either one of them too. It's also a shame we couldn't have landed Trestman.

Welcome to full meltdown...  you've fkn lost it man.