New Regime...

Floyd

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Cop out, bro. You don't like the discussion or want us to talk about it.. 

A team like Calgary, with those excellent players and all that football savvy, has trouble winning the Grey Cup but us, with our middling players and confused coaches, is going to somehow pull off a miracle. This, I gotta see. 

I'm not sold on Claybrooks. Yes, he has a great defense in Calgary but he's been blesses having great players to coach & who know the system. I also think he isn't experienced enough. is this his third year as a DC? The guy I like is Orlando Steinhauer. A successful DC (in the past) who knows the league as a player & a coach. Coached as a DC in the NCAA & did well in the only year he did in 2017. He was ready 3 years ago to be a CFL HC & I'd love to see him here. I think his upside is far higher than O'Shea. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm not sold on Claybrooks. Yes, he has a great defense in Calgary but he's been blesses having great players to coach & who know the system. I also think he isn't experienced enough. is this his third year as a DC? The guy I like is Orlando Steinhauer. A successful DC (in the past) who knows the league as a player & a coach. Coached as a DC in the NCAA & did well in the only year he did in 2017. He was ready 3 years ago to be a CFL HC & I'd love to see him here. I think his upside is far higher than O'Shea. 

I agree but I wouldn't quibble on Claybrooks. All that NFL experience and then the time spent as a player and DC under Hufnagel in Calgary makes for some pretty good credentials. Certainly far better than what we got with O'Shea.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I agree but I wouldn't quibble on Claybrooks. All that NFL experience and then the time spent as a player and DC under Hufnagel in Calgary makes for some pretty good credentials. Certainly far better than what we got with O'Shea.

As someone said, his health is a concern.  He just had a diabetic reaction that was quite serious. Now he has to make adjustments in reaction to that disease which can be very difficult. A coach's life is stressful enough without having to deal with that as well. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Cop out, bro. You don't like the discussion or want us to talk about it.. 

Not true, just wondering why no one is taking a level headed approach. 

If the Bombers make adjustments in the bye week. Go on a tear and at the very least, make a strong grey cup appearance or even win it-All this talk of Osh needing to be fired are silly. 

If we show terribly this last stretch-  then yeah, talk of firing everyone would be warranted. Make moves in the off season, see what is actually available and build while tearing down the front office and coaching staff. 

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Not true, just wondering why no one is taking a level headed approach. 

If the Bombers make adjustments in the bye week. Go on a tear and at the very least, make a strong grey cup appearance or even win it-All this talk of Osh needing to be fired are silly. 

If we show terribly this last stretch-  then yeah, talk of firing everyone would be warranted. Make moves in the off season, see what is actually available and build while tearing down the front office and coaching staff. 

The coaching staff is suspect, and I would exempt LaPolice from that.  I do not know how you can blame an OC for the lame play of his QB and the probable reluctance of the HC to allow a backup to spell off a struggling starting QB. Walters has done enough good stuff to warrant a reprieve, but if he continues to back O'Shea, his fate would also be sealed.

Edited by Tracker

14 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The coaching staff is suspect, and I would exempt LaPolice from that.  I do not know how you can blame an OC for the lame play of his QB and the probable reluctance of the HC to allow a backup to spell off a struggling starting QB. Walters has done enough good stuff to warrant a reprieve, but if he continues to back O'Shea, his fate would also be sealed.

You may very well be right on this, but I have a bit different take on it.

I agree about Lapo being given an exemption, but it needs to be conditional - I think he should be forced to make some modifications to the offensive system that Bombers employ as a condition of staying on. The system needs to be modified to stretch the field vertically more, not with bombs, but with an intermediate level passing game. The current system does not feature this, probably because Nichols accuracy has never been that consistent at that range.

Regarding Walters, his results have been mixed, but yes, even I acknowledge he has done some good things, however, this off season he was far too passive and made some seriously goofy decisions. This has been a recurring theme with him in the past. I would drop Walters and the entire scouting system the Bombers are currently using and go in a different direction. What would it take to pry Murphy out of Sask to take on a GM position?

5 minutes ago, TheSource said:

The system needs to be modified to stretch the field vertically more, not with bombs, but with an intermediate level passing game. The current system does not feature this, probably because Nichols accuracy has never been that consistent at that range.

but maybe the system would change and be more effective with a different distributor of the ball.... I truly believe it's been dumbed down to suit Nichols' limited capabilities.  A stronger arm behind centre would open up the playbook.

Just now, trueBlue83 said:

but maybe the system would change and be more effective with a different distributor of the ball.... I truly believe it's been dumbed down to suit Nichols' limited capabilities.  A stronger arm behind centre would open up the playbook.

Yes, in the era of a new regime this is what I am suggesting. Modify the playbook, but also put someone in at QB who can make those throws. They may very well have that guy on the roster now - Streveler looks like he can make those throws. At this stage, if we see a regime change there will be a year or two of rebuilding after that, so I see it as the perfect opportunity to go with the young QB and work through the growing pains at the same time.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Toronto Argonauts say hi.

That was an anomaly- even a blind squirrel will find the occasional nut and this one happened to be the game of their year at the Grey Cup. Did you know that the Grey Cup and Earl Grey tea are connected, and his descendant was involved in a pedophile ring a couple of decades ago?

53 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That was an anomaly- even a blind squirrel will find the occasional nut and this one happened to be the game of their year at the Grey Cup. Did you know that the Grey Cup and Earl Grey tea are connected, and his descendant was involved in a pedophile ring a couple of decades ago?

The Argonauts are only the latest example of a team winning when it had no reason to believe to should.  Want another example?  How about the 2016 Redblacks.  I do acknowledge that one should not count on the underdog winning, but there is a reason that the game is played before the Cup is awarded.  And as for the information concerning Earl Grey.... uhhhh, thanks?

4 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I'd like to see Barker come in as a player personnel guy. Ass't gm, scout, whatever you want to call him.

I’m torn on Barker. Has had CFL success. But also the guy who traded an all star DB and the first overall pick (yes, I know Faith was a bust, but it’s a high value pick nonetheless), for Drew Willy. I’m in the Walters has done enough to retain his job camp. 

2 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I’m torn on Barker. Has had CFL success. But also the guy who traded an all star DB and the first overall pick (yes, I know Faith was a bust, but it’s a high value pick nonetheless), for Drew Willy. I’m in the Walters has done enough to retain his job camp. 

The pick was problematic, for sure, but I don't think he was wrong to trade Heath. He must have seen his deficiencies or, at least, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I doubt he thought it would be a first overall pick. 

Milanovich was a big fan of Willy and, obviously, thought he could turn him around. Barker might have relied on his opinion. 

I'm not defending the trade just looking at it with some hindsight and understanding of what they might have been thinking at the time. 

It was still a bad trade. 

13 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I didn't say we should hire Barker to replace Walters. I'd like to have them both here.

7 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Not true, just wondering why no one is taking a level headed approach

We're simply talking about the performance of the team, including the coaching staff, which has been pretty under-whelming of late. With O'Shea in particular, well, you have to admit he has/hasn't done some things that make you wonder.

The biggest adjustment I can see that would result in us going on a tear would be playing Streveler. Odds of that happening with O'Shea are slim. It always seems to come back to MOS, doesn't it?

Replace Walters with someone like Barker and get some good American talent in here at receiver, safety, and halfback. Replace O'Shea with an experienced head coach that understands the game better, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Replace Lapo and Hall with some coordinators that scheme good game plans and can make adjustments at the half and on-the-fly.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

We're simply talking about the performance of the team, including the coaching staff, which has been pretty under-whelming of late. With O'Shea in particular, well, you have to admit he has/hasn't done some things that make you wonder.

The biggest adjustment I can see that would result in us going on a tear would be playing Streveler. Odds of that happening with O'Shea are slim. It always seems to come back to MOS, doesn't it?

Replace Walters with someone like Barker and get some good American talent in here at receiver, safety, and halfback. Replace O'Shea with an experienced head coach that understands the game better, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Replace Lapo and Hall with some coordinators that scheme good game plans and can make adjustments at the half and on-the-fly.

So... fire everyone?

Ok. So right now, who would you hire?

This offseason who's available?