Milt Stegall Right On Today's Pregame Show On MOS

USABomberfan

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

First, this an excellent OL.  Yesterday aside, they have protected the QB as well as can be expected.  And the QB does have some weapons at his disposal, especially in the running and short passing game.  There's nothing wrong with Darvin Adams for deep shots either. 

No, I would not anoint Streveler as the starter, but I think he should get more opportunities.  

I don't completely disagree with you, but Adams and our other receivers have been dropping key passes lately. As for the OL, they are good, but are currently struggling with the injury bug, I'd be concerned if Hardrick/Foketi can't go in the Banjo Bowl... I agree Streveler should get some opportunities, unfortunately it looks like O'Shea is overplaying Nichols to avoid a potential QB controversy.

What I really don't understand though is how on earth were we able to post 180+ yards rushing yesterday, when the rest of the offense was so inept. With the exception of bad weather games, this is practically unheard of. It seems in recent weeks Harris has been a workhorse first half, and tired out second half. Perhaps finding a way to get Flanders on the roster would help share the load, the game really took a turn for the worse yesterday when Foketi got hurt and Harris had to sit out a few plays (shortly thereafter LaFrance fumbled and they never seemed to recover).

5 hours ago, blitzmore said:

Boy all the moaning and gnashing of teeth on here. I am as mad as anyone about yesterday. It's not that they lost, it's how they lost....but take away the gift 14 points to Riders, we have a win, and the tone for most on here is completely different. For many it is always about what have you done for me in the last minute or two.

I suggest you are missing the larger picture. Nichols has been off all season for reasons we do not know, and the team has just come off two embarrassing losses.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I suggest you are missing the larger picture. Nichols has been off all season for reasons we do not know, and the team has just come off two embarrassing losses.

Or more importantly, in a year where this team is supposed to contend, the #1 QB is .500 with wins against only BC, Toronto and Hamilton (combined 10-17).  Only one of those on the road.  The BC and Toronto wins versus essentially their backup QB's, guys who have since been demoted.

Hard to be too hopeful about this season and this QB.

And it's three embarrassing losses.

I know expectations were high coming into this season but in the back of my mind with Ritchie Hall as DC & a chronically weak receiving corps I can't say I'm surprised. We can't float thru games like the Stamps do getting by on just talent. We have to work hard & everything must go our way in all 3 phases of the game for us to win. I was always afraid that the season would go this way even though I hoped it wouldn't.  I wonder if I was the only fan feeling that way? 

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think you're underestimating the damage that could be done to Streveler... how many other promising young QBs have floundered in a Winnipeg offense, played a few games, had their teeth kicked in, then are sent packing or released? I think he's a great player, but anointing him as our starter in arguably the toughest section of our schedule, when the offense is struggling is nothing short of throwing him to the wolves. Doing so could cause serious long-term damage physically to his body, and mental damage to his psyche and confidence.

When he did start he looked like he was thoroughly enjoying his time out there.  He even brought an extra energy when he played.  He looks like a player that doesn't worry too much about stuff other than just playing a game he obviously loves.  

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know expectations were high coming into this season but in the back of my mind with Ritchie Hall as DC & a chronically weak receiving corps I can't say I'm surprised. We can't float thru games like the Stamps do getting by on just talent. We have to work hard & everything must go our way in all 3 phases of the game for us to win. I was always afraid that the season would go this way even though I hoped it wouldn't.  I wonder if I was the only fan feeling that way? 

So many disappointments on this team. I thought the D would be so much better with Bighill replacing Hurl. Obviously, Nichols play has everyone disappointed. Lapo, Hall, and O'Shea have all disappointed. Bowman and Walters failure to get some big, strong, stud receivers in here.

1 minute ago, J5V said:

So many disappointments on this team. I thought the D would be so much better with Bighill replacing Hurl. Obviously, Nichols play has everyone disappointed. Lapo, Hall, and O'Shea have all disappointed. Bowman and Walters failure to get some big, strong, stud receivers in here.

The scary part is just how much worse our D would be without Bighill. 

2 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

You think I don't know that? But a lot of the moaning and groaning is overdone at this point

We've lost 3 in a row and even though we can still turn it around yes, it's gonna take more than just finding a way to win the banjo bowl to do it.  Obviously the more Nichols seems to regress, the less confidence we have he's going to rebound.

And as has already been said, MOS wasted good opportunities by allowing a sucky member of his coaching staff to stick around where someone like Buono, Huff/Dickenson or Trestman would have tossed him.  Right now they appear to be doing nothing to fix it other than just switching out a receiver for Lankford who also should have been gone at the end of last year.

Michael O'Shea is treating this like Pop Warner football instead of a professional team.  Sorry, but I'm really starting to buy that notion.

No, he won't get fired before season is up, but he's now on borrowed time with us fans.

What I don't get is Franklin in Toronto was suppose to next greatest thing... he plays a bit and stalls the offense.   They try MBT and instantly the offense wakes up and instead of sitting him to let him learn the CFL game more they keep him in....    I understand Nichols getting his job back when he returned... but how come Trestman has the confidence to put MBT in and leave him in and ride the wave while we still trot out Nichols despite him struggling majorly.   What's the definition of insanity again......

On 2018-09-02 at 5:42 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lapo is on thinner ice IMO.

I expect if next week goes anything like every game Nichols has started this season against anyone but the Argos he's going to lose playcalling if not get fired outright.

I think hall is in the most trouble, despite a solid overall effort by the d. (tackling stank several times but other then that and the usual softness) 

I dont think plop gets fired mid-season, and short of missing the playoffs (maybe even then) I think mos is safe. Plop should be on the hot seat, but nichols will take the bullet before it hits plop. 

36 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Imagine how much better it would be if we didnt have hall, started MO at S and fenner at sam. 

So Hall is completely responsible for who plays where?  How many tackles has Hall actually missed?  There is a difference between soft coverage and guys getting flat out beat or blown coverage like the Thigpen TD.   Why is poor execution the fault of the DC or the OC for that matter?

10 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

So Hall is completely responsible for who plays where?  How many tackles has Hall actually missed?  There is a difference between soft coverage and guys getting flat out beat or blown coverage like the Thigpen TD.   Why is poor execution the fault of the DC or the OC for that matter?

Didnt say it was. Hense the comma + the AND. 

He has coached an over all poor tackling team, because ya know hes a coach. 

Sure, but when you poorly coach tackling and have soft coverage you get a LOT of big plays which we have seen for a long while now. 

Because execution is the players understanding of how to do what and when. Thats coaching. Its preparation. When you see a new guy make a mistake you can write it off as him being new and not knowing better. When you see guys who have been around the whole year, and several previous years not executing or knowing what to do it is the coaching. 

24 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Exactly...most of these defenders have been playing football for a minimum of 12 - 15 years.  They know how to tackle but sometimes the ball carrier makes a good move and they elude the tackle.  It happens.  

Trust me I'm not a Hall fan but  man the way the defence played on Sunday.  We would have won if the offence could've finished a couple of drives.  In the last 3 minutes of the game the offence had 3 chances to score and they laid an egg.

I believe that next game you start Nichols, and any extended time of non sustained offence, and similar lost look like last game...no more than 2-3 series you insert Streveler (with a full playbook) and see what he does..can he make further throws..extend drives with his legs...hit open receivers...do the guys around him get fired up...and if this all happens...he continues playing in next games until he hits a lul and needs to be back on sidelines to observe a bit.

Now, if the same ol same ol keeps occurring...then there is a problem...either a) Lapo has been figured out and needs to adjust b) Lapo become a dunce over night c) it's a personnel issue with the supposed play makers.

That will be the telling tale on offence but I think there is something wrong with Matt, and from experience when your QB is flawd, or become a detriment..it trickles down and effects the whole team, and their play/drive....This is when Oshea has to step up and earn his salary.

If it's playmakers...well then Walters has to step up...if you have to cut a higher priced vet, or move assets to improve...you just do it...we have both things to utilize to improve...now lets see if we have balls to do anything

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I believe that next game you start Nichols, and any extended time of non sustained offence, and similar lost look like last game...no more than 2-3 series you insert Streveler (with a full playbook) and see what he does..can he make further throws..extend drives with his legs...hit open receivers...do the guys around him get fired up...and if this all happens...he continues playing in next games until he hits a lul and needs to be back on sidelines to observe a bit.

Now, if the same ol same ol keeps occurring...then there is a problem...either a) Lapo has been figured out and needs to adjust b) Lapo become a dunce over night c) it's a personnel issue with the supposed play makers.

That will be the telling tale on offence but I think there is something wrong with Matt, and from experience when your QB is flawd, or become a detriment..it trickles down and effects the whole team, and their play/drive....This is when Oshea has to step up and earn his salary.

If it's playmakers...well then Walters has to step up...if you have to cut a higher priced vet, or move assets to improve...you just do it...we have both things to utilize to improve...now lets see if we have balls to do anything

Completely agree, that's what should happen. What will happen is O'Shea will stick with Nichols, unless he's so injured he can't play. And, I bet we sneak off a win in the Banjo Bowl - maybe a pick 6, punt return TD, Medlock kicks 6 FG's - and the fan base gets lulled back to sleep thinking - "we're back in it". Ultimately, I think the story has been written for this season if we stick with the status quo - sneak in playoffs, one game bye-bye. If nothing changes, nothing changes. 

I also see an end of season media day where O'Shea praises Nichols for his toughness playing through injury, and that he may need surgery. So the question then - is an injured Nichols (knee - everyone in the league knows), better than a stud athlete with potential Streveler at QB? O'Shea's answer will be "he gave us our best chance to win". 

How can it be more obvious?

Is Matt Nichols an elite QB? Could Chris Streveler become one? Remember Nichols got his job because Drew Willy struggled. Could Nichols lose his job the same way? Nichols has the second-worst QB efficiency (84.2), interception percentage (3.8) and TD-to-interception ratio (11:9) among starting QBs. Streveler however ranks among the league best in all those marks with a 105.5 efficiency mark, interception percentage of 2.0 and eight TD passes to just two interceptions. With Nichols as the starter Winnipeg now has three straight losses heading in to the Banjo Bowl against Saskatchewan. Winnipeg has a game in hand and trails the three big teams in the West in the standings. After complaining about the fans booing him and then complaining about the offensive execution (although his comments were blown out of proportion) Nichols needs to worry about his own job security moving forward.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cfl-takeaways-know-halfway-season/

It occurs me that whatever Nichols is going through psychologically might be related to the horrific injury he suffered in Edmonton which came close to not only ending his career but crippling him for life. If that injury was really traumatic for him, he might be reliving it in this recent incident. However, in the end, it doesn't matter. Either he can play at a high level or not.

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

What I don't get is Franklin in Toronto was suppose to next greatest thing... he plays a bit and stalls the offense.   They try MBT and instantly the offense wakes up and instead of sitting him to let him learn the CFL game more they keep him in....    I understand Nichols getting his job back when he returned... but how come Trestman has the confidence to put MBT in and leave him in and ride the wave while we still trot out Nichols despite him struggling majorly.   What's the definition of insanity again......

First of all, Trestman knows qbs as he has been one & coached them for over 20 years so he knows what to look for at that position. Secondly, MBT is 30 years old & has been around in pro football on more than a few teams so he has a bit of trust that he can read defense & understand terminology.  MOS was a linebacker. He never took a snap as a qb so he doesn't have the insight into that  position like Trestman does. Our HC relies on others for coaching advice. He obviously feels from the input of Pierce & LaPo that Streveler isn't ready to take over. That's my take. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah, good post. Only thing different is I'd like to see Streveler get the start. This is nearly a full season of Nichols mediocrity and I'm not at all convinced he suddenly turns it around. If we wait through 3 series of Nichols throwing picks and two-and-outs he could be down 21-0 and that's just not fair to the kid. Give him the start. He's earned it.

13 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yeah, good post. Only thing different is I'd like to see Streveler get the start. This is nearly a full season of Nichols mediocrity and I'm not at all convinced he suddenly turns it around. If we wait through 3 series of Nichols throwing picks and two-and-outs he could be down 21-0 and that's just not fair to the kid. Give him the start. He's earned it.

I like this idea even better. Start Streveler. Save face for Nichols and the organization by saying that Nichols is a bit banged up, had a re-aggravation of his previous injury, want to give him time to recover ... blah, blah, blah. Which is probably all true. If Streveler lights it up, deal with who will be the starter for next game after the bye week. 

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Vets are paid for the season now.  No benefit to cutting them unless having them in the locker room is that bad.