Milt Stegall Right On Today's Pregame Show On MOS

USABomberfan

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

(1) Speaks to rank in points for being not a great indicator of points in the standings, the ones that count for placement. 

Who suggested Pierce is going to light things up?  I'm suggesting the Bombers need to try something different.  They can't replace all the players.  Clearly the playcalling is a problem when you go two quarters in nearly every game with almost no production, even in terms of getting first downs.  (22) Pierce is one of 4 offensive coaches, and the most logical to take over playcalling either temporarily or for the rest of the season if it were taken from Lapo.  A different point of view could make a positive difference and break some fairly obvious tendencies Lapo has that teams are clearly preying on week after week.

Playcalling changes hands all the time.  Most often head coaches are offensive coaches and take it over, or it goes vice-versa where the head coach was calling plays and hands it off to the OC.  Bombers are a bit unique having a coach who isn't an offensive coach, just them, BC and Ottawa.

(1) Scoring points doesn't directly correlate with doing well in the standings, but what other measure would you use to evaluate LaPo's abilities as an offensive coordinator? If not points scored (which as shown previously his offenses do), then what?

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wonder if they'd let Nichols call the plays like Kevin Glenn in the second half of 2008.  Usually when that happens it's a pretty good sign that the coaching staff has totally lost control.

(2) Four hours ago you suggested handing the reigns over to someone other than LaPo (Nichols) would exhibit a total loss of control... now you're suggesting we do the exact same thing for Buck Pierce? You're contradicting yourself here.

By comparison, Pierce has as much experience calling plays as Glenn did back in '08. Sorry took so long to reply - took me a while to find out if you were just joking or not here, but the Bombers did in fact let Glenn do play-calling back then. (source: https://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/winnipeg-free-press/2008-08-30/page-65/)

12 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

(1) Scoring points doesn't directly correlate with doing well in the standings, but what other measure would you use to evaluate LaPo's abilities as an offensive coordinator? If not points scored (which as shown previously his offenses do), then what?

(2) Four hours ago you suggested handing the reigns over to someone other than LaPo (Nichols) would exhibit a total loss of control... now you're suggesting we do the exact same thing for Buck Pierce? You're contradicting yourself here.

By comparison, Pierce has as much experience calling plays as Glenn did back in '08. Sorry took so long to reply - took me a while to find out if you were just joking or not here, but the Bombers did in fact let Glenn do play-calling back then. (source: https://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/winnipeg-free-press/2008-08-30/page-65/)

Difference being Nichols would have to call the play and then execute it within 20 seconds.  Pierce is coaching.

6 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Buck.  I bet they give him playcalling if they don't turn it around next week.  Might keep Lapo around to gameplan and coach receivers.  Have a bye after Banjo Bowl.

I'd take that bet. I'd put the odds of Lapo losing play calling duties after the next game somewhere around 0%.

10 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Only 3 sacks given up this game, for the most part I think he had decent protection, just couldn't find receivers when he needed to.

Sure,  but for whatever the cause, my recollection is that he's absorbed some big hits this season and last.  

There was one play last season where he dropped back and got drilled by a blatant helmet to helmet, with the ref twenty feet away and no flag.

He's been shaking those off and playing, but It may well have affected him. 

Interesting that this discussion regarding Lapolice and Hall has been on going for three years. I think his record speaks for itself. While he has had a winning record the past 2 seasons, not counting this year, his success is really limited. I know that is a contradiction but in reality it isn't.....he is unable to adjust......he is unable to game plan against winning teams on a consistent basis but does pull out a win occasionally against better than 500 teams and becomes very predictable with a lead. That doesn't go back 3 years that goes back to when he was our OC the first time. He took a very good offense designed by Rick Worman and road it for a year then the decline started and was fired I believe the third year he was here. So history is repeating itself. As for Hall well he too has a Grey Cup to his credit but his defenses are old school and out of date. He cannot devise schemes to create pressure, Oshea said as much on open mike in Calgary; he doesn't put his players in a place to gain success. 

And Oshea well it has been said here many times he is simply too stubborn to see the forest for the trees and that is a fault not a virtue. Finally some will say we don't have the talent, yet each year we hear how we have improved and how great training camp was etc etc. Reality is I believe we have good talent; problem is they are not being given the direction, schemes, and ultimatums to succeed. Save a few while they all want to win they realize deep down that should they fail, the coach has their back. Not that I am a Jones fan but he is not afraid to trade, sit, or chastise players for poor play,,as a result the players play with passion and determination regardless of their abilities. Hence a 3 game winning streak and us a 3 game losing streak soon to be 4 if someone doesn't push a few buttons between now and Saturday. 

As always sure hope someone does but my skepticism overpowers my hope I'm afraid. Good luck though all things are crossed.

8 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Interesting that this discussion regarding Lapolice and Hall has been on going for three years. I think his record speaks for itself. While he has had a winning record the past 2 seasons, not counting this year, his success is really limited. I know that is a contradiction but in reality it isn't.....he is unable to adjust......he is unable to game plan against winning teams on a consistent basis but does pull out a win occasionally against better than 500 teams and becomes very predictable with a lead. That doesn't go back 3 years that goes back to when he was our OC the first time. He took a very good offense designed by Rick Worman and road it for a year then the decline started and was fired I believe the third year he was here. So history is repeating itself. As for Hall well he too has a Grey Cup to his credit but his defenses are old school and out of date. He cannot devise schemes to create pressure, Oshea said as much on open mike in Calgary; he doesn't put his players in a place to gain success. 

And Oshea well it has been said here many times he is simply too stubborn to see the forest for the trees and that is a fault not a virtue. Finally some will say we don't have the talent, yet each year we hear how we have improved and how great training camp was etc etc. Reality is I believe we have good talent; problem is they are not being given the direction, schemes, and ultimatums to succeed. Save a few while they all want to win they realize deep down that should they fail, the coach has their back. Not that I am a Jones fan but he is not afraid to trade, sit, or chastise players for poor play,,as a result the players play with passion and determination regardless of their abilities. Hence a 3 game winning streak and us a 3 game losing streak soon to be 4 if someone doesn't push a few buttons between now and Saturday. 

As always sure hope someone does but my skepticism overpowers my hope I'm afraid. Good luck though all things are crossed.

Boy all the moaning and gnashing of teeth on here. I am as mad as anyone about yesterday. It's not that they lost, it's how they lost....but take away the gift 14 points to Riders, we have a win, and the tone for most on here is completely different. For many it is always about what have you done for me in the last minute or two.

Just now, blitzmore said:

Boy all the moaning and gnashing of teeth on here. I am as mad as anyone about yesterday. It's not that they lost, it's how they lost....but take away the gift 14 points to Riders, we have a win, and the tone for most on here is completely different. For many it is always about what have you done for me in the last minute or two.

58 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

wtf do you expect, seriously? We've lost 13 of the last 14 labour day games. Haven't won a championship in nearly 30 years. Haven't won a playoff game since.. what, 2011? In a 9 team league.

Give your head a shake before you start wagging your finger at fans who don't like mediocrity. If you want to eat a **** sandwich from our smiling idiot head coach then go ahead and don't forget to mouthwash after.

33 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Guess the point may be people are upset not only because of the loss but the way they lost......a very similar pattern not only this year but in recent years as well.

The way we lost? Was it watching a different game? Cuz the reason we lost was because our QB cant throw a ball 10 yards

42 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The way we lost? Was it watching a different game? Cuz the reason we lost was because our QB cant throw a ball 10 yards

You're beginning to sound like you do on the Jets Forum. A one subject, blame one guy pony. Paul Maurice sucks & you take swings at everyone who dares disagree with you. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

the reason we lost was because our OC cannot develop a game plan other than throw it 5 yards. To even suggest that throwing the ball across the field 20 yards for a 5 yard potential gain is why we lost the game. That is coaching my friend nothing else. As far as Nichols not being able to throw it more that 10 yards might be valid however a game plan game in and game out that does not stretch the field and is very predictable results in what you see. I won't comment on the D but we cannot sustain a drive in the 4th quarter nor can we stop the opposition in the same situation so what does that say.....to me the coaches cannot adjust or game plan against various opponents.

Remember when they played Ottawa and Nichols was pushing the ball down field (and missing targets are throwing into double coverage).     

It's not the game plan it's the execution.   

I'd really like to see Streveler get some action to see if instead of firing the OC maybe a switch at QB might just kick start the offense.   Worst case scenario he falls flat on his face and we go back to Nichols. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Remember when they played Ottawa and Nichols was pushing the ball down field (and missing targets are throwing into double coverage).     

It's not the game plan it's the execution.   

I'd really like to see Streveler get some action to see if instead of firing the OC maybe a switch at QB might just kick start the offense.   Worst case scenario he falls flat on his face and we go back to Nichols. 

I'd like to see Streveler as well. No harm to put him in to see what happens but we have a head coach who won't change his ways like no other. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Worst case scenario he falls flat on his face and we go back to Nichols. 

I think you're underestimating the damage that could be done to Streveler... how many other promising young QBs have floundered in a Winnipeg offense, played a few games, had their teeth kicked in, then are sent packing or released? I think he's a great player, but anointing him as our starter in arguably the toughest section of our schedule, when the offense is struggling is nothing short of throwing him to the wolves. Doing so could cause serious long-term damage physically to his body, and mental damage to his psyche and confidence.

48 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pretty sure I know what forum this is.

If you use 1990 so glibly in response to a bomber fan's well thought out post... no you don't, that **** flies better on RF. 

We get it.. you're upset, your more than 20 posts on the subject clearly convey that. Just take a care, you are showing signs of going full-riderfans.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

19 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think you're underestimating the damage that could be done to Streveler... how many other promising young QBs have floundered in a Winnipeg offense, played a few games, had their teeth kicked in, then are sent packing or released? I think he's a great player, but anointing him as our starter in arguably the toughest section of our schedule, when the offense is struggling is nothing short of throwing him to the wolves. Doing so could cause serious long-term damage physically to his body, and mental damage to his psyche and confidence.

First, this an excellent OL.  Yesterday aside, they have protected the QB as well as can be expected.  And the QB does have some weapons at his disposal, especially in the running and short passing game.  There's nothing wrong with Darvin Adams for deep shots either. 

No, I would not anoint Streveler as the starter, but I think he should get more opportunities.